mstools is a collection of "tools" intended to process stereo streams but focusing on middle and side instead of left and right. The idea is really simple but the effects can be subtle and powerful.
- msEncode and msDecode: These are just converters mapping M -> L and S -> R so that you can put your own effects between the coder and the decoder. The effects below are just some hard-coded ones.
- msComp: This one uses the same compression algorithm as mdsp's "classic" compressor, but focuses on the Middle signal without touching at the Side. A typical use of this effect is to boost a mix without touching at the stereo image.
- msBalance: 2 separate gains for the Middle and side signals.
- msSwap: just swaps the Middle and Side. You can use it before msComp if you want to compress the side instead of the Middle.
- msDelay: This is a simplified version of analog delay that you can use to delay either the middle or the side.