|Developer||Crypton Future Media|
|Type / Tags|
|Utility||Stand-alone utility / application|
OS :Windows XP SP3 or newer
CPU :Intel Pentium4 2.0GHz
Other :DirectX compatible sound card
OS :Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
CPU :Intel processor
Other :Audio device (Compatible to built-in device)
Mutant is free sound file management software provided by Sonicwire that enables you to navigate through the large collection of sound files on Sonicwire, find more easily the sounds you're looking for and preview them with a single click in the program. The additional "Comment" and "Bookmark" function allow you to easily organize and classify sound files.
Mutant supports easy Handling of Sound Material
Mutant is software designed for simple and efficient management of sound files for advanced music production.
As sound information such as Tempo/Key, sampling frequency, extensions, ACID and Appleloops correspond to the display of waveform, it's easy to check the spec of the sound file while you preview the sounds. Once you find the sound you want, it's easy to add the sound file into your production environment by using the drag&drop function. You can bookmark each sound, leave notes or tag it to find it again later more easily. The downloadable version of Sound Effects Collections [Effects Packs] distributed at Sonicwire.com are also compatible with Japanese keyword display.
Enhance your imagination
Once you find the folder which contains the sound you want to preview, you can immediately try the sound by just adding the file to Mutant with the drag&drop function. If you like the sound you've tried, you can drag&drop the sound into your music production environment.
In the folder-tree section, you can find efficient keyboard short-cut functions. For example, the right and left arrow keys let you open/close the folder; or Enter/Esc keys let you move between folder-tree and sound list. You can easily move between folders and try the sounds without using the mouse.
Excellent management functions to unify vast amounts of sound files
You can divide the sounds you've tried into groups by just leaving notes or adding them to the Bookmark folder. It is possible to constantly display the Bookmark folder close to the sound list. Another possibility is to make one note for multiple files or to bookmark them all at once.
Displaying the total number of files in the folder, it's always easy to see how many sound files are managed in Mutant. The Sound list (database) can be switched depending on the property or contents of what you are producing.
Efficient Preview Function to support advanced Music Production
As the waveform is displayed in the sound list and seek bar, you can see in real time which part of it actually plays. You can play the sounds without having any time interval between the different sound files (seamless playback). You can preview the different sound files continuously as if a loop file is playing. As it supports loop playback, you can play one loop while you play an instrument, and at the same time also check the compatibility with the music software you are using. You can of course also set it to stop after each file is played.
Supporting 32-bit WAV/AIFF and mp3 sound files. Equipped with Stereo Indicator.
- Database switch function.
- Add shortcut key.
- Keyword Display Function.
- Loadable Bookmark Bar.
- Display for Waveform in Seek Bar.
- Support for User Memos and Tags.
- Narrow View Mode.
- Function for enabling Show/Hide of File Tree.
- Continuous Playback Preview.
- Support for 32-bit WAV/ AIFF, mp3, mpeg4, AAC files*Windows: Codec for DirectShow is required.
- Support for drag&drop to "Mutant".
- Support for drag&drop to digital audio workstation software.
- Advanced Search.
- Display number of sounds for folder.
- Waveform Preview.
- Switch Waveform Display to Stereo/Mono.
- Improvement of Sound Reading Speed.
- Speed up of internal query processing.
- Loop Function.
- Inline text input function.
- Rename / Delete / Move Folder Function.
- Stereo Indicator.
- Database Update for each Folder.
- Support for Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Bookmark Function.
- Switch Language between English/Japanese.
- Seamless Connection with Sonicwire.com.
- Support for Windows/Mac.
Reviewed By rasputin
August 13, 2016
English - Windows version 3.02 reviewed 2016-08-13 (with a few edits 2016-08-21 for clarity)
In the Reaper forum there was discussion about enhancing the media browser, which has some good features, but at version 5.20 is still somewhat minimal. A contributor suggested Crypton Mutant so I came here and tried it out.
This one really has some excellent features, and as it is currently free it's unbeatable. With a few tweaks and enhancements I would be glad to pay to support the developers a little more. Sonicwire is a soundware vendor so I think the intention is that the Mutant browser can take you to Sonicwire when you are browsing for sounds. Fortunately the integration is passive and there is no need to sign up with Sonicwire to manage your local sound libraries.
The description on the the Details page is pretty accurate. I'm just going to add some remarks of my own that go beyond it.
The sounds database appears to be kept in memory first, then managed in My Documents / Crypton / Mutant / Mutant_db / Mutant.db with an XML file storing the column widths, audio file types., etc.
I moved the executable there and it still works fine. You can create as many dbs as you want but they will all be in the Crypton folder.
- Truly free as far as I can tell; not crippleware, etc.
- Simple, logical/conventional GUI operation.
- Allows adding tags and user memos to samples and loops (extremely helpful for me).
- It has a nice feature where length of sample, besides showing in mm:ss in length column is indicated by the length of a transparent bar over the entry row. Waveform of sample is also displayed.
- Fast to build database: On a Intel Core 2 Quad based windows 7 system (not at all the most recent) took about 5 min to add 5700 samples then another 15 or 20 minutes more to add another 42000.
- The database for 77000 items is only about 35 MB.
- Search is extremely fast and has simple boolean operators and, or and not (and: space between strings, or = | between strings, not = - before string).
- My biggest disappointment is that only sounds within current folder are displayed. Would be nice to have the option of displaying all sounds within current folder and subfolders. Although Search is very fast, it searches over all files in the database which may return a lot of hits.
- In the found items list, you need to look at a sample's Properties to see which folder it is in.
- Some typos/inheritances from Japanese in English GUI and manual -- these don't affect operation.
- Allow display of all samples (hack for this is to a Boolean that covers everything: if you enter "-?" in the Search box it finds all the items that don't have ? in the name (or in tags).
- Find and markup duplicates for deletion.
- Clean up GUI and manual for English version.