The Old Busted Granny Piano library by Soundiron captures the authentic beauty of a dusty, old, upright piano. It had been sitting in the living room of an old friend's house for a good long decade and who knows where it as before that. We don't know the brand or model off hand, but she looked to be about 60 or 70 years old and quite beat up the last time we saw her.
Her tone is watery and faded with badly de-tuned notes and more than a few broken strings, especially in the upper range. The rickety hammer action springs forward and falls back with each press producing a loud, wobbly wooden thud and the ivory has crumbled away from many of her keys.
We captured 4-5 velocity layers on all keys, with 2x round-robin variation on the middle octaves in the mf dynamic range. Each note has separate string release samples and key release samples, to replicate the natural behavior of the natural instrument, including the soft, distant sounding mechanical wooden "thud" that naturally occurs whenever any key is lifted, even after the resonance has faded.
All presets now feature upgraded performance and sound-shaping controls. The main interface also includes Micro-tuning and stereo-imaging, as well as release time/volume settings with extended note decay. The Tuned/Untuned switch corrects the tuning of the entire piano. Most presets also include the Uberpeggiator arp system, tremolo and resonant filter LFOs with optional tempo-syncing, selectable room/FX reverbs and parametric EQ. We've also added a new set of atmospheres and synth-like pads ("Geriatrocities") that we hand-crafted using the raw Granny source.
- 721 Samples (standard 24bit / 44kHz stereo PCM wav).
- 13 .nki files (Kontakt 4.2.4 unlocked open format).
- 1.4 GB installed.
- 24 bit / 48kHz stereo.
- Available by Continuata Direct Download and DVD.
- The library is currently at version 2.0. Version 1 of this library was originally released by Tonehammer.
- Note: The full retail version of Kontakt 4.2.4 or later is required to use the .nki instrument program presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" does not support this library and can only open it in a 15-minute limited demo mode.
This walk-through video by Brad Halverson that takes you through our Old Busted Granny Piano Library in detail. http://youtu.be/X826dTbrlOU