SaltyGrain is a real-time granular audio effect plug-in. It can create a large variety of different sound types, and is ideal for creating strange or spooky effects in movie productions, vocal effects, weird background sounds, lush pad sounds, rhythmic distortions, live sound modifications, etc. Incoming sound is fed into a delay line from which small pieces of various durations and at different moments in the past are selected. Each of these pieces is then amplified, transposed and enveloped to form a "grain". Each grain is also randomly panned and the whole mix is sent out to a stereo output stream.
- delay line freezing for live sampling and sound modifications.
- feedback of granulated output back into the delay line for dense and shifting structures.
- up to max. 40 simultaneous grains.
- plugin parameters controllable via MIDI.
- play melodies with captured sound fragments.
- density control by number of grains and grain duration.
- additional grain stealing option.
- grain envelope control.
- typical granular slow motion effect by freezing and gradually moving through the delay line (forwards and backwards).
This plugin is available under the following formats:
Mac OS X (Intel, 10.5 and up): RTAS, VST (32/64 bit), AU (32/64 bit)
Windows (XP SP3 and up, no Windows8): RTAS, VST (32/64 bit)
Original evil laugh sound example courtesy of Bulbastre.