|Type / Tags|
|Copy Protection||Online Activation (Challenge / Response)|
SIDizer is an emulation of the legendary SID chip in the form of a modern software synthesizer plug-in. Using circuit modeling technology, nearly all the unique features of the two versions (6581-8580) of the SID chip, including their famous flaws, are accurately modeled. This emulation focuses on simulating the nonlinear character of the SID filter and mimicking special 6581 distortion that mainly influences the alternation of the filtered signal in a real SID chip. It offers additional envelopes, LFOs, mod matrix and a routable bit-cruncher for adding extra lo-fi sound quality.
SIDizer's GUI is inspired by HyperSynth's HyperSID and offers easy tweaking for all parameters on a single page. It is not only a powerful instrument for creating the chip-tune style but it can produce a unique type of analog sound colored with harmonic distortion that is suited for creating bass, lead and drum sounds.
- 3 oscillators offering 8 waveforms: Saw, Triangle, Square, Pitched noise, "AND" combinations of them.
- Wavetable sequencer.
- Oscillators special features: ring, sync, phase sync, Sqr PW, level.
- Selectable 6581-8580 D/A distortion.
- 3 Amp envelopes ADSR.
- 12 dB (LP & HP), 6 dB BP SID modeled Filter.
- Best matched Exponential-fitted curves for 6581-8580 filter frequencies.
- Simulating 6581 half wave filter distortion.
- 1 Filter envelope + key track for filter freq.
- 2 LFOs each with 4 simultaneous outputs offering sync and retriggering option.
- 1 Mod envelope.
- Versatile Modulation matrix.
- Bug-generator module for reproducing famous bugs: oscillator leakage, ex-input noise.
- Bit Cruncher with pre and post filter route option.
- Advanced 8 step C64 like arpeggiator.
- Master: Pitch and Mod wheel, Porta, Spread, Reverb, Delay.
- Easy to use GUI.
- Factory soundbank created by Torben Hansen (aka Metal of Vibrants).
- 100 Presets.
Reviewed By S9DD
April 5, 2015
I had high hopes for SIDizer, and on first listen it meets many of the demands sonically that one would expect from a SID emulation. It has a lot of promise to be the best of the bunch.
However the plugin has a major flaw, it produces "hung" notes when used with the sustain pedal. The operation of the sustain pedal in SIDizer means that it is impossible to play live. This is further complicated by the voice stealing algorithm when maximum polyphony is reached. (v1.4)
I reported these issues to Hypersynth back in May 2014, and while their support is fast and friendly, they are either unwilling or unable to resolve this rather fundamental problem, claiming the fault lies with modules of MIDI code they have "no access to."
I am putting this in the "unfinished" category. Although sonically it is enticing, I could not advise using it live.
I can only encourage Hypersynth to get back to it and solve the problem.Read more
Reviewed By Atom Csjahek
November 1, 2011