Usine is a universal audio software application designed for live or studio utilization.
Usine is made by musicians and audio engineers to respond to their specific problems in domains like live sampling, effect processing or sound design. Sensomusic describes Usine as a "real" musical instrument - flexible and powerful if you like to transform or resample the sound on stage (not only push the play button of your sequencer), improvise and create unusual effects.
Usine is patch oriented sound software where you can add plug-ins and connect them without restriction. The main purpose of this program is to provide a real time analysis of an input signal and then react with, and modify plug-in parameters to produce the sound.
- Build modular sound processing: create patches with "modules" and connect them by virtual wires very simply.
- Analyse input or generated sound, for example pitch, peaks or dynamics, to create adaptive effects; modify any parameter in real time.
- Use the built-in virtual mixing table to mix the sound produced by different patches on each track (up to 16).
- Create huge, creative or stupid audio routing within the mixing table. For example, routing a patch output to another patch input, or create a virtual master effect send and return, etc.
- Manage 16 external audio sources (8 stereo) and apply different effects to any of them.
- Create flexible Surround or 5.1 projects: all audio tracks are 5.1 or 6.0. The output sound can routed to any of the 16 available outputs, depending on your sound card.
- Create inserts patches on any input / output channels. For example a master limiter or a master reverb.
- Complete VST processing: You can use any VST instrument or effect in patches and modify any VST Parameter in real time. Create a front-end simple interface.
- Complete MIDI automation: assign any Usine visual object to a MIDI controller very simply by using the MIDI-learn command. Complete integration of motorized external controllers.
- Complete MIDI input/output management, for VSTi instruments or external expanders.
- Load up to 256 patches in memory in a "grid" and activate them as you want in real time.
- Synchronize patches and VST plug-ins with a master tempo. Use unusual and absurd tempo from 0 to 10000000000.
- Record your creations directly on the hard disk in real time: separate tracks, inputs and outputs.
- All Usine functions are "real-time", and you can resample, modify, input sound on the fly.
- Save patches, complete workspaces, and configurations, for a very quick adaptation to different projects.
- Use any sample rate, depending on your ASIO sound card.
- Usine has a 32 bit floating point audio engine.