Wusik 4000 is a new project by Wusik and WilliamK, done from the ground using modern code and totally cross-platform: Windows and MAC, VST/AU 32 and 64-bits.
The project is still been developed, but we already have done a lot of stuff, check out the videos below for the updated details. Also, we always update the forum about how things are going, specially new features, beta-versions, ...
The basics are already set, now we are working on extra modules, specially sample-playback, wavesequencing, importing Wusik Station presets, and other things. To see what we have done so far, again, see the videos below.
But how Wusik 4000 works? Is that just a regular Modular system? No, it is not. Wusik 4000 has a fixed path of audio, but with a modular wire system for modulations. Audio and Events are dynamic routed in this way:
- MIDI Modules will process and output Note Events and other MIDI data.
- Modulation Modules will process modulation information using the above data.
- Envelopes will be processed using voice-allocation information set by checking which AMP Envelope has free-voices. This voice information is sent to all POLY modules that are processed next.
- Now we process all Sound Generators.
- Filters are the next stage, processed in Series. (But we will release Parallel Filter Modules that includes more than one Filter into a single Module that process audio in Parallel instead).
- Voices are mixed into a single stereo path.
- Effects are processed.
- SFX Send to Master is copied so when the Master Layer is processed, it will use this information for the Master Effects.
But if I want to use a Sound Generator, let's say, a Sawtooth OSC, to modulate something but not output its audio? Simple, just set its Volume to zero, as it is not applied into the Module Modulation Output. You can still set the Amount of output you want from the Wire Input and Output, including Min and Max values.
Can I attach multiple cables/wires from one source to another? Yes, as many as you want.
Here are some current specs, from our current pre-beta version as seen on the videos below:
- Cross Platform: Windows and MAC, 32 and 64-bits.
- Multi-Format: VST and AU. (more formats can be added in the future).
- Preset Categorized and with Author, Tags, Collection Name, Genre, Description and the possibility of searching for those options. Each preset is a XML file with the .w4kPreset file extension, and includes all information in a single file, so you can also move around files and organize in different folder structures.
- Open-Source Module SDK. Yes, if you are a coder, you can make your own modules.
- Nearly unlimited number of layers: each layer has its own settings: volume, pan, number of voices, effects, octave, fine, key-zones, velocity-zones, SFX Send to Master Layer, … just see the videos for extra details.
- Keyboard Shortcuts with user selectable modifiers: Alt, Ctrl or Shift. By default we use the Alt+shortcut-key.
- Layer Unison. (Modules must support this, but ours will always do).
- Note-Stealing with the option of setting Stealing the Same Note to On/Off. This is handy for Piano sounds, where a new note should always reuse the previous voice when its the same note or a note that is already playing the envelope release stage.
- Modules can have Custom Graphic areas, see the Oscilloscope and XY Pad.
- Multi Wire/Cable Patch System. Allows to connect nearly any module (when available) to another module parameter. (Also, when available, some modules don't allow that).
- Resizeable Interface. You can set the size of the whole interface as needed and modules will auto arrange on the screen. Some areas of the UI are fixed, while others are dynamic.
- Multi Skin support. Skins are just a bunch of PNG files with a XML file that stores information of how things should be set. So users could even mess around with those files and create sub-versions of skins or even new skins, if they got the skills for it.
- Selectable DATA Folder. You can move the DATA files anywhere you want, and just place a link of this folder next to the actual plugin files.
- Selectable Tool Tip Time.
- Selectable Engine Idle Time.
- Selectable Oversample option. (Shared by all instances of the plugin) From None to 16 Times Oversample. (optional down sample filter).
- Selectable Wires Type and Transparency with a Keyboard Shortcut to Hide and Show quickly.
- Modules can be minimized and hidden. They also have an extra menu for hidden options.
- Modulation "holes", both Input and Output, have 3 options: Amount, Min and Max.
- Layer hidden wire system for Pitch and Filter Envelope, and also Vibrato and Tremelo information. This can be used by Envelopes and Sound Generators. EG: Envelope is set fo Filter Envelope and in the Filter we have an Env option which will use this information without the need of wires attached. You can still use wires if you want, but this way you connect directly without cluttering the interface with tons of wires. (Specially handy when you have multiple filters using the same Envelope) The Tremolo and Vibrato are Modules that uses those hidden-wires to send information to Sound Generators, but they also have a Menu-Option (click on the Module options) to disable Vibrato and Tremolo if you want.
- As right now, modules auto-arrange in 3 selectable ways: by type, using the full width of the interface. By type and size, but using only the width required to show all parameters. And finally, by size, using the same settings as the previous option. (You can see this on the videos below).
- Master Limiter (can be disabled).
- Modules Templates: you can save a module state. Eg: you create the perfect vibrato effect using the LFO module. Save as a template, and you can load the module with this settings with a single click into any preset/project file.
Current list of modules:
- Effect\Oscilloscope Mini.
- Effect\Basic Reverb.
- Effect\Multi Filter.
- Effect\Basic Low Pass Filter.
- Envelope\Basic AR Envelope.
- Midi\Sticky Keys.
- Midi\Key Switch.
- Modulation\LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator).
- Modulation\XY Pad.
- Filter\Multi Mode Poly.
- Sound Generator\Basic OSC (Oscillator).
- Sound Generator\Single OSC (Oscillator).
- Sound Generator\White Noise.
Other planned modules:
- Sample Playback.
- Graphical Envelope.
- ADSRH Envelope.
- Lots of Filters.
- Lots of Modulation Modules.
- Lots of MIDI Modules.
- Lots of Effects.
- And many others that we don't even know yet, we will work on new modules when possible.