Phase Plant... Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phase Plant

epiphaneia wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:01 pmMost of those who are only interested in the synth and don´t need the VST/AU effects will likely find 350 Eur to be too expensive ... on the other hand PP relies on the 3 effects lanes heavily so it makes no sense to buy the 169 Eur version without effects either.

I´d guess that sales would go up quite a bit if they included all effects in a "Phase Plant intenal use only" version in PP´s base price, and then offered a $129 upgrade to VST/AU versions of all effects. But their mileage may vary - if it works for them, good for them.
Exactly my thoughts about the pricing. Cheap versions are not that usable, the expansive version is too expansive from all points of view. But I really like the subscription-reward scheme. You're losing 20 bucks a year, but the rest of the subscription money is being saved up towards the synth purchase. I like that. Yep, with cheaper synth that purchase might happen sooner, but if they continue to be as active and as community friendly as they are now, then I'm actually OK with sending them that 10 bucks a month. I've spent more on Patreon supporting YouTubers than this in the past.

I definitely agree on the filters. I brought it up in the chat, got no comment on it. I think poor guy already heard this complain a lot. Andrew Simper's filters would be indeed awesome, but even Steve Duda had to license them. I think it might influence pricing of PhasePlant even more.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

FYI the delightfully Swedish Kilohearts guys did a livestream just before Christmas with a preview of some of the upcoming features in Phase Plant... a few I've seen requested in this thread.

Hopefully due for release early this year. Very exciting stuff... especially the whole 'snapception' thing. :love:

https://youtu.be/Y9_iHo6Bmag?t=2775

Oh wow. Can't wait for 1.8 then. 😇
Evovled into noctucat...

TIMT wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:05 pm ...faux audiorate modulation(its not audiorate its table based like it has been on most VSTI's besides modular solutions)
Can you explain this comment a bit more? I don't really understand what it means or why it matters... :)

I don't understand that one either. I find the audiorate modulations the best feature of PhasePlant. Aside from Bazille, I have never seen a synth offer logarithmical, linear, PM and FM in the same plugin before. Everything else i've seen elsewhere, but not this. That's the highlight imo. And the included tutorial patch explans it really nicely.

If he, by "table based" means it resets every table repetition, then it's not true. I's very well audible on the logaritmical modulation that uptunes the whole not as you're modulating it. As it probably would on a modular synth when CVing pitch control.
Evovled into noctucat...

Bit late to this but use the individual plugins myself a lot, bit underwhelmed by phaseplant at the moment though, a lot of messing around to get it to do what I want and a bit in the spiky thin side at the moment..though maybe that's just my hearing...

Plugin Boutique currently has Phase Plant with just the free FX for $99 until the 24th as part of their NAMM promotions.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... olbox-FREE

All Kilohearts software, including Phase Plant, has been updated to v1.8 with new features, improvements, and bugfixes.

More info: https://www.kvraudio.com/news/kiloheart ... v1-8-47542

Some mind-blowing stuff in there tbh. :shock:

StuSmith wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 am Some mind-blowing stuff in there tbh. :shock:
I can appreciate how on paper the possibilities are amazing, but I am juts not 'hearing' anything I haven't heard before. I went through the new presets (#new) and they are fine, but they just didn't 'blow me away' like the first time I heard Dune, Diva or even Serum.

Can someone guide me to a preset/sound that demonstrates why PP is unique and can sound better or even different from other synths I own like Rapid, LION or Falcon?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

recursive one wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm Same thing, no audio examples I ever heard sounded any convincing. Seems to be that "features over sound" trend in purest form.

I never tried the demo though, maybe it would change my mind but these days i only download a demo if I have heard some impressive audio.
That can´t be it. Audio Demos are Marketing and Marketing should be secondary if you are looking for Tools that help you do what you want to.
DJErmac wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:56 pm Haven't been impressed either. Only a couple of presets sound really awesome. But nothing can justify this price. This is not a "not bad" price, this is a "holy sh!t I want it right now" price, and it simply doesn't work in my opinion.
If you are looking for Presets you should consider Triton or Omnisphere. Phaseplant seems to be made for Inventors.

And secondary Presets are really treacherous. Look at Zebra for example. There is lots of tricky Magic behind many Presets. Interconnections, OSC FX that you can not really predict, MMaps, Wavetables... Even if you CAN find the right Settings you´ll have to ask yourself if it´s worth the Efforts.

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:55 am
recursive one wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm Same thing, no audio examples I ever heard sounded any convincing. Seems to be that "features over sound" trend in purest form.

I never tried the demo though, maybe it would change my mind but these days i only download a demo if I have heard some impressive audio.
That can´t be it. Audio Demos are Marketing and Marketing should be secondary if you are looking for Tools that help you do what you want to.
DJErmac wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:56 pm Haven't been impressed either. Only a couple of presets sound really awesome. But nothing can justify this price. This is not a "not bad" price, this is a "holy sh!t I want it right now" price, and it simply doesn't work in my opinion.
If you are looking for Presets you should consider Triton or Omnisphere. Phaseplant seems to be made for Inventors.

And secondary Presets are really treacherous. Look at Zebra for example. There is lots of tricky Magic behind many Presets. Interconnections, OSC FX that you can not really predict, MMaps, Wavetables... Even if you CAN find the right Settings you´ll have to ask yourself if it´s worth the Effort.

SLiC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:37 am...I went through the new presets (#new) and they are fine, but they just didn't 'blow me away' like the first time I heard Dune, Diva or even Serum...
Ever considered that with experience and passing of time there's less & less stuff that surprises you anymore?

For example I got Serum (2nd hand) last year and nothing, completely nothing in that synth surprised me or made me go "wow!" - not the presets, not the wavetable stuff, not the modulation workflow, not the FX. I basically have it because a) it was cheap(ish), b) I liked the new Promethean skin, c) in case for when someone I collaborate with has used it in a project...

For me, where PP sets itself apart is workflow and its reasonable flexibility - it's somewhere between strict fixed-architecture synth and vastness of options you get with Voltage Modular or Reaktor Blocks. It's sort of like Bazille or Complex-1, but more friendly. It's obviously a compromise and one that many people won't like - some prefer fast & simple workflow, others want options & flexibility. PP is in the middle, I find.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:55 am Audio Demos are Marketing and Marketing should be secondary if you are looking for Tools that help you do what you want to.
Thning is that I already have all the tools I can imagine (like many I guess).

So I need to hear something that would make me say "wow, this sounds great, I can't do that with the tools I already have, or at least it wouldn't sound that great". If I don't hear any such example most probably I will never download the demo (and I definitely won't if it's time-limited - worst kind of demos ever).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Heard the Audio Demos, very interesting Spectras that many of todays Synths can´t produce. But how much of it is Sampling Magic?

I´d ask myself if you can rely on the Company and the Update Strategy if you want to invest your Time.

I was interested first, but after reading about the FX Section, "Snapins" and those different Packs I quickly realized, that this Tool does absolutely not match my Requirements and the Companys Policy is not really trustworthy.

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:55 am If you are looking for Presets you should consider Triton or Omnisphere. Phaseplant seems to be made for Inventors.
If PP is made for Inventors (I think all synths are made for inventors!), can I just assume that no one has yet mastered it and that is why the existing pre-sets just sounds like most of the other modular VST....technically PP may be able to something different by letting X modulate Y etc, but why can't I just have a pre-set to 'hear' why that 'unique' feature is a good thing?

You are right mentioning Zebra, I haven't ''heard'' anything that I can't do with Zebra so far when making my own sounds with the 1.8 demo...But then Zebra is always hard to better, it does most things very well!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”