Native Instruments TRK-01 Drum & Bass machine

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nope. Nothing is as quick to get to want you want. It's exactly as complex as it needs to be, no more. I wouldn't want anything else in it, except maybe the effects from the big version.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I thought maybe something like Pigments or Serum would be a good alternative? But of course its not as simple.
I really like TRK-01 and hoped for some recommendations for a synth that can do the same with maybe a little more options (but but still simple) and outside of the reaktor environment.

I like using Pigments but it's a very big step up from TRK-01 and I end up using TRK-01 a lot more in my actual projects/songs. TRK-01 has so many sweet spots but with something as complex as Serum or Pigments they are much harder to find.

The only thing I can think of that might do what you want is Phase Plant. It let's you choose what sort of engine you want to use and what I like about it is that you only need to add as much complexity as you need. They have a subscription option that allows you to basically pay it off over time or you can buy a basic package and add to it over time.

Alternatively, if you're interested in hardware, MicroMonsta has lots of different options for oscillators/engines.

I'm not sure what your problem with Reaktor is, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Thanks Bones, insightful answers. Phase Plant sounds like a good alternative, if you keep it simple as you said.

Question for the purists...

Can you get those same TRK-01 bass tones out of massive X? Obvious answer might be yes, but TRK-01 is rather unique sounding.

TRk-1 is more west coast style based ,you can get in the same ballpark with massive x using one of the three modules set to Fold
Massive x is unique in it's own , it's sounds incredible
The closest would be the fabulous reaktor west coast style modules , the dwg osc is amazing , just learn it inside out and you' ll use it all the time ..it's partialy based on the make noise DPO
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

How is TRK-01 West Coast based? It's a simple V/A. It might have osc option in there but it's not a convoluted pile of shit like most West Coast syths.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:18 pm TRk-1 is more west coast style based ,you can get in the same ballpark with massive x using one of the three modules set to Fold
The closest would be the fabulous reaktor west coast style modules , the dwg osc is amazing , just learn it inside out and you' ll use it all the time ..it's partialy based on the make noise DPO
Did not know about the dwg osc. I'll give it a try :tu:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:18 pm TRk-1 is more west coast style based ,you can get in the same ballpark with massive x using one of the three modules set to Fold
Can you explain me how to use TRK-1 in west coast style ?

I assume it's because one of the oscillator modes is called "West".

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:43 pm How is TRK-01 West Coast based? It's a simple V/A. It might have osc option in there but it's not a convoluted pile of shit like most West Coast syths.
Well I thought it was purely west coast style but it seems it has multiple sysnthesis options .
Saying that most west coast style are a convoluted pile of S..t is well , just another bones opinion :lol:
Foldover , audio rate mod between modul and carrier + low pass gate are excellent for bass duties.
The timbre section in reaktor Blocks dwg is awesome , but yeah a complex oscillator might be too complex for some :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv2vGe- ... 86&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWeiy06EjKY&t=875s
Eyeball exchanging

Raddler1 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:08 pm Question for the purists...

Can you get those same TRK-01 bass tones out of massive X? Obvious answer might be yes, but TRK-01 is rather unique sounding.
If you like the sound of TRK-01, why you want to recreate it with Massive X? Serious question!? :)

I assume you know, that Massive X has ten different wavetable modes, plus folder, distortion and other insert effects. I would be surprised if Massive X can't replicate a particular sound from TRK-01.

Yeah, the beauty of TRK-01 is its simplicity and the great workflow enabled by its GUI. Why f**k with that by taking it to something like Massive X?
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:48 amWell I thought it was purely west coast style but it seems it has multiple sysnthesis options .
Not really. It has multiple osc types but it's all V/A in the end.
Saying that most west coast style are a convoluted pile of S..t is well , just another bones opinion :lol:
i.e. Solid gold! Honestly, it's liek Reverse Polish Notation in HP calculators from the 1970s - it's different for the sake of being different.
Foldover , audio rate mod between modul and carrier + low pass gate are excellent for bass duties.
Most of which is completely absent from TRK-01. As you can see, you get two controls plus sub-bass. Actually, the sub bass has more controls than the osc itself.

TRK-01.jpg

I have found very little use for it, it seems the least interesting of the osc types available.
The timbre section in reaktor Blocks dwg is awesome , but yeah a complex oscillator might be too complex for some :hihi:
Obviously not as hard as going to the effort of checking out a product before you start talking about it. Seriously, making pronouncements and then realising you have no idea what you're talking about makes you look like a fool. Behaviour like this (yours) devalues KVR as a useful source of information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:57 pm Yeah, the beauty of TRK-01 is its simplicity and the great workflow enabled by its GUI. Why f**k with that by taking it to something like Massive X?
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:48 amWell I thought it was purely west coast style but it seems it has multiple sysnthesis options .
Not really. It has multiple osc types but it's all V/A in the end.
i.e. Solid gold! Honestly, it's liek Reverse Polish Notation in HP calculators from the 1970s - it's different for the sake of being different.
Most of which is completely absent from TRK-01. As you can see, you get two controls plus sub-bass. Actually, the sub bass has more controls than the osc itself.

TRK-01.jpg

I have found very little use for it, it seems the least interesting of the osc types available.
Obviously not as hard as going to the effort of checking out a product before you start talking about it. Seriously, making pronouncements and then realising you have no idea what you're talking about makes you look like a fool. Behaviour like this (yours) devalues KVR as a useful source of information.
I wrongfully assumed trk-1 was pure west coast , which I corrected in my second post .
Nothing foolish about that .
The posted examples are just to showcase how versatile a complex osc can be as a reply to your idiot remark.
Again ,nothing foolish about that either.
Let’s not get into your behaviour and generalizations of all things that doesn’t flow your boat or is way over your head .
Eyeball exchanging

Well, whether west coast synthesis is essential for TRK-01 or not, I think this is a good reminder of TRK-01 and also the DWG oscillator in Reaktor.

For the moment I'm busy with sending some TRK-01 presets through Volcano3 and Saturn2.... :lol:

Return to “Instruments”