Synth1 Bank Chooser

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nice idea :) i dont think it's a matter of messy housecleaning.. i have lots of organization, and am meticulous about it. i prefer to type/cut/paste over clicking. yes i could create a folder on my desktop, containing all the patches from the big rar, but i don't work like that. i never do. my desktop doesn't serve a purpose for storing crap like that. anyway, the workaround lets me work how /i/ want to, and not how icharo thinks i should.. it is a project started from personal annoyance, and shared for others. that's all there is to it. use it if ya want, or dont, if you dont :)

hi.. i made a slightly different version of this.. the change here is that it defaults to the folder you chose previously when you click "BROWSE"... (as opposed to "My Documents" every time) however (unfortunately) you have to select a file within the folder you want, not the actual folder (as it is a file dialog not a folder dialog...this is something i am looking to rectify)

http://www.interference.co.uk/audio/syn ... up_jmp.hta

the rest of the code is grymmjack's

It could be expanded to allow you to set a default folder eg "D:\presets\synth1" so that it always starts from here if you tick a box or click a different browse button etc...

suggestions welcome.. my knowledge is limited though.

j

grymmjack wrote: This makes using that gigantic RAR file that hitman compiled MUCH MUCH more fun ;)
Hey Grymm, Got a link?

jmp909 wrote:hi.. i made a slightly different version of this.. the change here is that it defaults to the folder you chose previously when you click "BROWSE"... (as opposed to "My Documents" every time) however (unfortunately) you have to select a file within the folder you want, not the actual folder (as it is a file dialog not a folder dialog...this is something i am looking to rectify)

http://www.interference.co.uk/audio/syn ... up_jmp.hta

the rest of the code is grymmjack's

It could be expanded to allow you to set a default folder eg "D:\presets\synth1" so that it always starts from here if you tick a box or click a different browse button etc...

suggestions welcome.. my knowledge is limited though.

j
But see that's what I don't understand. Doesn't your Synth 1 remember the last folder browsed? Mine does, I simply keep all my banks in one folder-the Synth1 folder. No need for desktop "crap". I could probably change all ten banks in less than 30 seconds. Not trying to give anybody a hard time but I think you guys are trying to re-invent the wheel. Rolls just fine here as is, sure I'd like more bank slots and maybe we'll see that in the future.

Perhaps if you could explain step by step how this program makes patch handling easier I could see the logic. Right now I just can't see any advantage. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

You can go much faster than using Synth1's GUI or editing directly the registry if you want to change them all (and you've got a copy path to clipboard in your explorer context menu, also).

I agree that using the browse button is no better than using Synth1 directly.

Anyone's got a link that's not on Yahoo for Hitman's compil of presets BTW ?

If that' the .rar I just downloaded it's way out of date with my patch banks. The one's included in Hitman's list are old unfinished banks (except Teksonik-50). You can get the latest versions at:
http://www.freewebs.com/teksonik/newsynthpatches.htm

I can also mail you the big .rar if you like. I can't help thinking that this is not the .rar everybody's talking about. It's only got maybe 60 banks or so but most of them aren't full. Some have only 12-15 patches inside. With a little work I bet you could distill these down to 20-25 banks and then bankloading wouldn't even be an issue anymore. Maybe there's another .rar somewhere else?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:If that' the .rar I just downloaded it's way out of date with my patch banks. The one's included in Hitman's list are old unfinished banks (except Teksonik-50). You can get the latest versions at:
http://www.freewebs.com/teksonik/newsynthpatches.htm

I can also mail you the big .rar if you like. I can't help thinking that this is not the .rar everybody's talking about. It's only got maybe 60 banks or so but most of them aren't full. Some have only 12-15 patches inside. With a little work I bet you could distill these down to 20-25 banks and then bankloading wouldn't even be an issue anymore. Maybe there's another .rar somewhere else?
The RAR I am referring to is from the Synth1 Users group here:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oAU0RElSzg ... atches.rar

Yech.. what a nasty URL. :)

Teksonik wrote:But see that's what I don't understand. Doesn't your Synth 1 remember the last folder browsed? Mine does, I simply keep all my banks in one folder-the Synth1 folder. No need for desktop "crap". I could probably change all ten banks in less than 30 seconds. Not trying to give anybody a hard time but I think you guys are trying to re-invent the wheel. Rolls just fine here as is, sure I'd like more bank slots and maybe we'll see that in the future.

Perhaps if you could explain step by step how this program makes patch handling easier I could see the logic. Right now I just can't see any advantage. :shrug:
I don't keep all my Synth1 banks in the same folder for starters, secondly I have been going through the big RAR and they are nested folders in folders at times, it's just easier for me to copy a path to the clipboard from my filemanager (servant salamander) and paste it into the bank setup proggy external to it. That is all it's meant for. To avoid having to use the internal bank setup in the Options dialog because I personally dislike how it works and forces me to click instead of type. It's small wastes of time like this that add up to big wastes of time in the end. That is the entire point... :)

Don't use it if you feel it's not needed :)

jmp: Cool modification, there has to be a way to make it use the regular folder browser without picking a file though somehow. Maybe not possible in WSH? :shrug:

And thanks teksonik for updated banks :)

eidenk wrote:You can go much faster than using Synth1's GUI or editing directly the registry if you want to change them all (and you've got a copy path to clipboard in your explorer context menu, also).

I agree that using the browse button is no better than using Synth1 directly.

Anyone's got a link that's not on Yahoo for Hitman's compil of presets BTW ?
Definitely. the point of the Browse buttons was never to use them for all of the paths. It was so that you could find one root folder, then copy/paste that one all the way down the line to each, and change only the number at the end for example;

Browse to c:\vst\instruments\synths\analog\soundbank00
then copy paste that to remaining slots, and change 00 to 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.

But since it's also possible that banks might not be in a full set and you'd want to load another set midway say starting at slot5, I chose to keep browse buttons on each input so it would eliminate inconsistency and ambiguity. It's clear what they are for, how you use them is up to you of course.

1-2-Many wrote:
grymmjack wrote: This makes using that gigantic RAR file that hitman compiled MUCH MUCH more fun ;)
Hey Grymm, Got a link?
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oAU0RElSzg ... atches.rar

You need to subscribe to get to it though.

hi check this thread... i'm trying to keep patches as up to date as i can.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1786150

Teksonik, please PM me with details of your new banks i will get them into some kind of order in the yahoo files and put a full RAR of all the banks somewhere more accessible..

this is what we have at the moment..

Tek-107-64.zip "Teksonik-107-64"
Teksonik Synth1-50.zip "50 New Patches for Synth-1"
Teksonik-synth1.zip "Teksonik Synth 1" by Teksonik -
Teksonik Bank 2

(i think the last 2 are actually the ones that are newer on your site so i'll update them on yahoo)

ps once you're logged in there's no need for those nasty URLs just
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synth1users/files/_Banks/

(plus the encoded URL doesnt work if you're not logged in anyway)

i made a slightly more logical version... if you're selecting a new bank for Slot 0 etc you're not going to select the same folder again... so i've made it jump back a folder (where you're likely to have all your other soundbanks). ie if your bank was c:\audio\presets\synth1\Teksonik1 and you click browse it'll jump to c:\audio\presets\synth1 when the dialog comes up
as there's no point jumping to Teksonik1 folder.. you can just click cancel if you want to keep it.

http://www.interference.co.uk/audio/syn ... up_jmp.hta (clear your cache)

Code: Select all

Function BrowseForFolder(title, flag, dir)

On Error Resume Next
  Set objDialog = CreateObject("UserAccounts.CommonDialog")
  objDialog.Filter = "Synth 1 Files|*.sy1|All Files|*.*"
  objDialog.FilterIndex = 1

initDir=dir

i=instrRev(dir,"\") 
  dir=left(dir,i-1)

objDialog.InitialDir = dir
  intResult = objDialog.ShowOpen

If intResult = 0 Then
    BrowseForFolder=initDir
  else

fn=objDialog.FileName
    i=instrRev(fn,"\") 
    str=left(fn,i-1)

strSelection=str
    BrowseForFolder=strSelection
  end if

End Function
of course my next application (if i can be bothered! dont hold your breath - in Flash maybe as i've got to learn some new stuff) is to have it read your main soundbanks folder, get all the preset names in a folder tree and let you drag and drop ones you like to a new bank....if only Synth1 let you do this within the interface!). If you study the format of a .sy1 , the patch name is on the first line so is quite easy to read out of the file.

jmp909 wrote:i made a slightly more logical version... if you're selecting a new bank for Slot 0 etc you're not going to select the same folder again... so i've made it jump back a folder (where you're likely to have all your other soundbanks). ie if your bank was c:\audio\presets\synth1\Teksonik1 and you click browse it'll jump to c:\audio\presets\synth1 when the dialog comes up
as there's no point jumping to Teksonik1 folder.. you can just click cancel if you want to keep it.

http://www.interference.co.uk/audio/syn ... up_jmp.hta (clear your cache)

Function BrowseForFolder(title, flag, dir)

On Error Resume Next
  Set objDialog = CreateObject("UserAccounts.CommonDialog")
  objDialog.Filter = "Synth 1 Files|*.sy1|All Files|*.*"
  objDialog.FilterIndex = 1

initDir=dir

i=instrRev(dir,"") 
  dir=left(dir,i-1)

objDialog.InitialDir = dir
  intResult = objDialog.ShowOpen

If intResult = 0 Then
    BrowseForFolder=initDir
  else

fn=objDialog.FileName
    i=instrRev(fn,"") 
    str=left(fn,i-1)

strSelection=str
    BrowseForFolder=strSelection
  end if

End Function
of course my next application (if i can be bothered! dont hold your breath - in Flash maybe as i've got to learn some new stuff) is to have it read your main soundbanks folder, get all the preset names in a folder tree and let you drag and drop ones you like to a new bank....if only Synth1 let you do this within the interface!). If you study the format of a .sy1 , the patch name is on the first line so is quite easy to read out of the file.
Cool! You can make flash projectors? I dont know flash beyond doing simple animations for web :) Make a standalone exe :D That would be best...

updated: when you select a folder, it now lists the patches within that bank by name, in a box below the selectors (or you can press the view button) :)

theoretically you would be able to do that create patch favourites drag/drop bank thing purely in DHTML+Javascript+ActiveX

eidenk wrote:

regedit /e Synth1.reg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Daichi\Synth1"
cls
Copy and paste that in notepad and save as whatever.bat.

Run it and it will save your Synth1 settings to registry file.

So you can easily and quickly save the bank schemes you create with grymmjack's tool.
That's a great tip man. I didn't notice this until now. Better would be some integrated 'bank manager' in our hacked tool :) I actually made some MIDIOx thing in VB 2005 so I could probably do this. Would people use it? It would basically allow managing groups of the banks in a cool way and using jmp909's excellent idea of patch introspection would show some infos and stuff.. Hrmm any interest?

For the kind of stuff to expect check out this: http://www.funklabs.org/share/SampleDumper.zip

It requires .NET framework (not sure what version though :) )

Return to “Instruments”