Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Poly-Ana

by the way shows how "different strokes for different folks". I can't make out a thing on the black one it just hurts my eyes and looks like a garbled mess....

but the blue one..oh the blue.......sex on gui.

VitaminD wrote:I like your kvr name.. when your 'company' gets larger... you should higher a Rear/Vice Admiral and a Commander.. then make a fleet of synths 8)
:hyper:

Can I be Sergeant Pepper?

ttoz, I'm starting to think the blue gui is the best one as well.

ttoz wrote: 1024x768 on a 21"??? :-o

shouldn't you be running at LEAST 1280x1024???
That's what I'm running on my 2 x 19" for the last 3 years. And I wear glasses! :shrug:

Maybe choco bunny needs to visit his optometrist?! :P

Improv wrote:

That's what I'm running on my 2 x 19" for the last 3 years. And I wear glasses! :shrug:

Hey Improv, keep up the taunts about my optometrist and I may just sue you for age discrimination. :P :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Admiral, I did reset my settings to the larger size you guys suggested, and the knobs are totally unreadable. My point about the monitor settings, which you guys seem to have missed is that the higher the settings, the smaller the image size. AND, the smaller the image size the more difficult to read. :shrug:

My settings work fine for any other synth out on the market today, so what's up with your graphics?

Why am I wasting my time and my breath and my polite, gentle critique trying to help someone like AdmiralQuality who is going to ridicule me about being "so 1993?"

I guess that when you posted this topic you were just wanting some attention and acclaim from your fan club, and you were not asking for suggestions for improvement before stubbing your toe on the final release of this synth. And, I respect that. :P :hihi: :D :D Knock yourself out, man. :hihi:

ps, like I said in my first post, this is a HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE GUI. The red looks like it would be real fun to work with, if the lettering is readable. :D Please take this as a sincere compliment. :wink:
ChocoLatteRabbit
"They often calls me coffee 'cause I grinds so fine."
Unknown bluesman

ChocoLatteRabbit,

I guess you're talking about the text on the big round "metallic" knobs? I agree, they are nearly unreadable - too small in other words. Same with the whole low left corner.

While I think AdmiralQuality has done brilliant job with the graphics, there's still the simple fact that the same physical rules do not apply to ergonomic hardware design than software GUIs.

Thank you, Kingston, yes, I meant the big round metallic knobs. The letters are too small to be easily readable.

And I agree that AdmiralQuality has done a brilliant job with the gui. :D
ChocoLatteRabbit
"They often calls me coffee 'cause I grinds so fine."
Unknown bluesman

Admiral,

The gui is beautiful. Total Sublime.

I'm hoping that you will allow the user to select between the Blue, Black and the high contrast red skin that was suggested earlier.

Great Job!! :D

- Juanito

Yea its good to see people will approve more hardwareish gui too coz theres already so much boring basic software guis. But yea the fact is when you make it too fancy the usability suffers more or less. To me those big rounded metal knobs seems rather bad solution because they take so much space and yet the text on them is almost unreadable. It almost seems that you did all the labels with the 3d soft instead of photshop which makes them blurred.
GUI Design for commercial and free projects

Nice, however I, too, am running at 1024x768 (and not by choice, this thing wont do any more than that :cry:).

Maybe you could have something like Synth1 where you select a scale (50% to 150% or something) for the size. Oh, and definetely something that is a separate parameter+value readout, like suggested before.

Any info on pricing or will this be a freebie? :hyper:

The blue one is my favourite and feels the most approachable to me. The red one looks fun but does tire my eyes a little. The black one makes my brain lock up!

Looking forward to the demo.
Sound design, audio editing, and instrument programming for UVI Workstation and Falcon/MachFive
http://www.iainmorland.net

duplicate
Last edited by Improv on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChocoLatteRabbit wrote:
Improv wrote:

Hey Improv, keep up the taunts about my optometrist and I may just sue you for age discrimination. :P :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Not a taunt at all, just the voice of experience talkin' at you! :-)
Admiral, I did reset my settings to the larger size you guys suggested, and the knobs are totally unreadable. My point about the monitor settings, which you guys seem to have missed is that the higher the settings, the smaller the image size. AND, the smaller the image size the more difficult to read.
But OUR amazement is that you still can't see it at 1024 x 768 on a 21" monitor? :shock: It really is hard to know that someone has a huge vision impairment when only reading what they type in a message on an internet forum.

I really wasn't joking about my wearing glasses. I wear bifocals and need them for driving and for using the computer. I can't even read this page without them.

Yet the Admiral's synth is perfectly readable to these weary old eyes.

I guess this is a case of YMMV. :shrug:

What video card and monitor are you using and at what resolution?

Why am I wasting my time and my breath and my polite, gentle critique trying to help someone like AdmiralQuality who is going to ridicule me about being "so 1993?"

I guess that when you posted this topic you were just wanting some attention and acclaim from your fan club, and you were not asking for suggestions for improvement before stubbing your toe on the final release of this synth. And, I respect that. :P :hihi: :D :D Knock yourself out, man. :hihi:
Unfair. You're taking his comments far to seriously. He was quit obviously joking as much as I was. You chose to take offense at the Admiral's comments, much as I could have at your comment above. However I knew it was a joke and took it as such.

Don't your friends ever give you a hard time as a joke?

:wink:
Last edited by Improv on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

All those UFOs

Sooooo exciting

I think some of you are seeing the image resized in your browser. Check for that, it's really not THAT bad.

Hehe... here's something a friend sent me for inspiration:

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/phot ... 769165.jpg

Black rooster head knobs on robin's egg blue with white silk screening. I'll call that look the "Antonov" skin.

And guys, all GUIs are just 2D pictures that take up some amount of screen space. So is this one. The control sizes and spacing aren't that different from any number of other products out there. I find if you take it down too small, it becomes tedious to work with... too hard to aim the mouse at tiny little targets of only a few square pixels.

Anyway, I *am* listening to this and we'll do what we can to address all your concerns! :)

And sorry about the 1993 comment Choco, didn't mean to offend. It was a joke (but it's funny cuz it's true. ;) )

Oh and guys, the silver selector knobs, you only really need to read the one that's selected. (ENV1) I can read it JUST FINE.

This is where any sane GUI designer would have just put a drop-down list box. But I don't like hidden stuff. So with this method, you get a plausible real-world control, and can (kinda) see what's coming as you rotate it around. As opposed to a drop-down which keeps its secrets hidden until you poke it. Not to mention popping up all over the interface in a totally unrealistic way. I wanted a design that could have been built out of real actual STUFF circa 1977. No virtual computer-ey stuff. :) It's a gimmick, for sure, but it's MY gimmick and, for version 1 anyway, we're sticking to it.

You'll see once it's all working. SCAMP provides a good hint as to some of the possibilities but we've got even cooler stuff coming in this one.

What surprises me most is that nobody's pointed out yet that this synth would NEVER fit in the trunk of your car! ;)

Return to “Instruments”