Free VSTi: Suburban Guitarist VSTi (Beta v1.1)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hovmod wrote: I don't like the ground hum. I don't think it's a good idea to have that default at max volume. My guitar certainly doesn't make that high pitched noise ever... Plus often the hum stops when you touch the strings, so the hum is usually only heard when the guitar isn't really being used.
Yeah, I know. I just thought it'd be cute to throw that in there. Actually if it's really bad buzz, it won't all go away with your fingers on the strings... but maybe I should just toss that "feature", as it is a bit silly. :hihi:
Hovmod wrote: The tune thing, well, I'm glad that's optional too. I smiled when I read about it, but I switched it off. Good idea to have a max outage setting. Again, my PRS doesn't much lose its tuning. And power chords sound WAY better when in perfect tune. So there. :)
And +1 on the sustain, particularly on the higher notes.
I took out the tune thing, but replaced it with a slider. When the power chords are in perfect tune it sounds a little too fakey IMO. If it's just a tiny bit out of tune it's more realistic.
Hovmod wrote: What else. Oh, yes. Not many solos are played only one note at a time all way through you know. So the lead setting should at least have a polyphony of 2, imo. Or maybe a setting. That's the only difference between lead and rhythm, right? Polyphony?
Yeah, I know, that's why I want you to be able to assign a controller to the lead/rhythm selection, so you can switch back and forth. I wanted a polyphony of 1 so it can capture hammer-ons/pull-offs.
Hovmod wrote: How about a "strum" setting in addition to lead and rhythm? One where a chord gets a quick arpeggio treatment?
Thought about it. It's a good idea, but if I did that then I'd want to implement something complicated like alternate strumming up and down, and then I'd want to make it sync up with your sequencer so it can accurately get the strumming up and down like a real guitarist would play... maybe in the future after some other stuff is fixed first.
Tony Ostinato wrote: I wanna talk more about ranges. being able to assign the range that a cc will affect a knob is really cool and it rules on the vsti's that have and painfully sux on the ones that dont and i oftten have to resort to running filter scripts in midi input transformer, ouch.
Hmmm, there's an idea!
Tony Ostinato wrote: i can easily envision presets where ill want breath to control both pick position and harmonic with seperate narrow ranges defined for both, and if thats not asking too much then id add itd be cool if the ranges could include smoothing/rounding.
What I was thinking of doing is put a smoothing on the controller changes (and then have a control adjust how much of this smoothing is applied). So if you suddenly have controller #11 (arbitrary number) go from 0 to 127 without anything between, it'll smooth it out. So you're saying to have this same sort of smoothing on the ranges as well? I know a method where I can cover both smoothing the controllers and ranges at the same time...

Right On!

thats exactly spot on, as they say. wind controllers all suffer a little erratic tracking on the breath sensor, and its not that hi resolution in the first place so you can really tell the difference in vsti's that smooth well, its in effect making the wind controller sound more expensive.

us wind controller guys love a good guitar lead patch, surf google for michael brecker and check out his videos playing the akai EWI.

Okay, the next beta is up! (basically reread the first post for the new audio demo and download link)

Sorry about this, I was delayed due to Windows issues. :P
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

the latest demo mp3 - wow! Great work Greg, I'll check out the beta :D

IMO its already better than Slayer...

Jeremy_NSL wrote:the latest demo mp3 - wow! Great work Greg, I'll check out the beta :D

IMO its already better than Slayer...
Thanks!

The demo uses this new, excellent FreeAmp effect.

xoxos wrote:minor moan: at that size, why no .zip? don't fancy gonig to treouble of installing 7-zip on this pc, so it'll have to wait until i find a rental. demo sounds nice!
gregjazz - quoting myself here for emphasis :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

No way...

you did say this was free...right? So I can go back to Suburban Guitarist and FreeAmp2...turn it WAY UP...and go back to thinking "Man, I could BE Slayer..." :evil:

Nice GUI...easy to understand layout for even non-guitarists like me...instant gratification...

xoxos wrote:
xoxos wrote:minor moan: at that size, why no .zip? don't fancy gonig to treouble of installing 7-zip on this pc, so it'll have to wait until i find a rental. demo sounds nice!
gregjazz - quoting myself here for emphasis :)
Sorry I didn't answer you before about this. Can't you use WinRar (free and opens both zips and rars) to extract it?

Well... I'll save you from downloading some new program--here's a ZIP file: ;)

http://www.gregjazz.com/download/Suburb ... tBeta2.zip

Let me know if the zip file works!

So... what does the mapping function in the lower section actually do? And no threat, but the new demo sounds a bit more fakish to me.

And BLAST IT!
I still can't try it out. That damn Otitis Externa just won't heal up! *I can hear better, but it's still not well enough to actually work on or try out stuff*
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

:D

fun, useful right out of the box. bet it makes a lot of people happy. nice knobs too.

if you make contact with chris, one of his fdn modules might lower the cpu due to being coded in asm.. some of the latest ones have inline filter options that may offer some different ways to do the 'harmonics' effect, imo the weakest emulation of the plug. my most scathing critique :)

thank you!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

wow.

this is a great emulation of electric guitar.

thank you for releasing this.

the best free offering since REAPER ;)
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

xoxos wrote::D

fun, useful right out of the box. bet it makes a lot of people happy. nice knobs too.

if you make contact with chris, one of his fdn modules might lower the cpu due to being coded in asm.. some of the latest ones have inline filter options that may offer some different ways to do the 'harmonics' effect, imo the weakest emulation of the plug. my most scathing critique :)

thank you!
Yeah, I'm not quite happy with the harmonics. It's difficult to get a clear harmonic, and even so, they're a little weak.

So this fdn module is a delay module? I need to get in touch with Chris anyways, as I think I could use his module packs. Is it included in one of these packs?

Compyfox, that little bottom section is for assigning controller #'s to controls on the synth. For example, you could assign the mod wheel to the pick position, etc. You can define which range of the pick position (for example) it would control, and even what range in the controller makes a change of the pick position (for example). Then there's also smoothing, so dramatic changes in a controller will be smoothed out to any degree you like. :)

I wish my ears would be healed up. Seriously!
And there "need" to be a couple more audio demos. With PowerChords, Chords in General, solo play etc.

Speaking of chords. How did you fix that thing with the Keys/String relation? If I can remember correctly, a D on the Guitar has 4 strings (or was it 5 to strum?), while a D on the keyboard has only 3 keys and they're close, unlike the Guitar, which spreads the strings over 2 octaves.

I hope I don't sound confusing. But while creating an own samplepack from my Fender Strato copy, I realised this problem to create "authentic strumming"
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

been a long time since i could dev anyhting like that, but have you tried a bpf going into your delays to emphasise harmonic freqs?

fdn = feedback delay network.. modules are up to 4 bands, included with packs, some have options for the 1st channel with various filters (as opposed to the lpfs on every other channel) and nonlinearities

(nonlins used for lip/reed models.. the pc i was using when these were released has a weird card arrangement which means se won't run at 44.1k.. my models worked at other sample rates but didn't resonate at 44.1 in my host, so i'm waiting until i have a dev environ again to finish)

I got it downloaded installed and running a little before i had to crash, but i did get a bit of warmup on it and really like and appreciate all you did.

sure enough i was able to map breath to pick position and harmonic and get them within the range i liked and the response i liked and then got a ways into learning to play it.

the thing i like about virtual physics modeled instruments, vs sampling, is the instrument has a real behavior that you can get to know and work with and thats true here.

ill try and run off a demo right away but im sure in a week ill be better on it.

Return to “Instruments”