Great Idea.....How About A KVR Dev. Sample Slicer Contest

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I'd be interested in giving a go at creating a slicer (although time is the biggest issue for me, so I might not finish).. I own Phatmatik and LiveSlice which are great... but there isn't enough in the way of flat out sample manipulation... I don't think anyone pushes it far enough. I want start/end loop points that can be automated, and subloops for granular type effects (think slifty or a pseudograins that doesn't alias so bad.. heh), along with a load of other ideas (many mentioned already). Utlimately combined with some interface which is based on the principles of tracking (think unwieldy tracker) but doesn't resemble it visually... because tracker interfaces scare people (cue pHz... ;)).
ModuLR / Radio

ModuLR wrote:I think I'd be interested in giving a go at creating a slicer (although time is the biggest issue for me, so I might not finish).. I own Phatmatik and LiveSlice which are great... but there isn't enough in the way of flat out sample manipulation... I don't think anyone pushes it far enough. I want start/end loop points that can be automated, and subloops for granular type effects (think slifty or a pseudograins that doesn't alias so bad.. heh), along with a load of other ideas (many mentioned already). Utlimately combined with some interface which is based on the principles of tracking (think unwieldy tracker) but doesn't resemble it visually... because tracker interfaces scare people (cue pHz... ;)).
:love:

ModuLR wrote:because tracker interfaces scare people (cue pHz... ;)).
I don't know about trackers, but the toys I use most have simple interfaces (or good usable presets).
<put your signature here>

innovative thinking as usual ModuLr, thats what i'm talking about there is alot of room for these things. people are mistaken if they think most of the fr in this thread
are already fulfilled in phatmatik, or some other slicer if so we really wouldn't be here we'd just be making fr to those developers, two of what I think are among the best slicers out there don't have the ability to hold a note while keeping the trigger held down and then sending a note off when releasing the trigger, this for instance is an extremely important feature for any samplist desiring a good amount of control and making the sample itself more musical.
I think developers should get as creative as they want to with a challenge like this, like i mentioned earlier it would be cool to make another crazy this that and the other synth if you want to, with synthesis types never before heard of every other modulation modulating every other modulation..... just create it with the front end of a sample slicer, make all of those synth features available parameters for each individual slice to use and you've done it. Imagine if absynth was Abslyce (i should probably copywrite that name :D) or if crono x had a sample slicer front end :love:

so whats the process for a developer challenge, do I have to ask somewhere/somebody official on kvr or what?

stale bread wrote:we really wouldn't be here we'd just be making fr to those developers
Hey, you do that, too!

shamann wrote: Not sure what freeware would be most ideal. Since getting Liveslice, I really haven't used much else for slicing.
Thanks, I think I'll stick with eXT's Sampler for now... but it's all easier now when I got my head out of my ass - shit I've missed a lot of goodness :smack:

IDM <3 slicers, that should have been pretty obvious but I got too caught up with this prefab loop paranoia, well prejudices suck anyway and that's it. I got superb results with ease, eXT's Sampler can host VSTs as send effects, has a familiar GUI (mine!) and slices can be individually tweaked to hell and back, it's better and more controlled than any glitch plugin I've tried.

Nice :-D

thanks all.jon

stale bread wrote:don't have the ability to hold a note while keeping the trigger held down and then sending a note off when releasing the trigger
Do you mean to say holding a note until you hit the trigger again, rather than releasing?

What you describe sounds to me like the normal way in which note on/off messages work, where note off goes on release of a key. Which works fine in Liveslice. I agree, held notes until triggered to stop would be a cool feature. Otherwise I'm confused.

shamann wrote:
stale bread wrote:don't have the ability to hold a note while keeping the trigger held down and then sending a note off when releasing the trigger
Do you mean to say holding a note until you hit the trigger again, rather than releasing?

What you describe sounds to me like the normal way in which note on/off messages work, where note off goes on release of a key. Which works fine in Liveslice. I agree, held notes until triggered to stop would be a cool feature. Otherwise I'm confused.
LiveSlice reacts to note-off's when triggering arrangements, not when triggering individual slices. It's a planned feature though, as an optional setting.
When triggering percussive material I usually find it annoying that I have to pay attention to the duration of the note in the sequencer, so I decided to ignore note-offs when triggering slices. It doesn't work well if you are triggering a 3 second pad sound I'm told, that's why I'm adding an option to enable note offs.

btw. why would you need to hold a note until you hit the trigger again? I could add that as an option as well when I'm in that area of the code anyways, if there's a good reason to.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

ohm wrote:LiveSlice reacts to note-off's when triggering arrangements, not when triggering individual slices.
Oh, I see what was meant now. I do almost everything in the arranger, so I guess I wasn't really thinking note=slice.
ohm wrote:btw. why would you need to hold a note until you hit the trigger again? I could add that as an option as well when I'm in that area of the code anyways, if there's a good reason to.
Again I was thinking arrangements. It would just be a way to free up a hand, instead of holding a MIDI note while an arrangement is playing, especially handy in cases where I'm just stopping/starting various arrangements in/out of a mix.

i think this thread is a good idea. i'd pay for a new slicer to be kicking around.

i really want to love liveslice cause i know it's powerful and heard many great demos, but every time i've tried the demo i just can't wrap my head around it :(

shamann wrote:
stale bread wrote:we really wouldn't be here we'd just be making fr to those developers
Hey, you do that, too!
you got me there :D , nothing more important than the music man. I'm about to press up some t-shirts that say 'Slicer for President in 'o8'

Mr. Tunes wrote:i think this thread is a good idea. i'd pay for a new slicer to be kicking around.

i really want to love liveslice cause i know it's powerful and heard many great demos, but every time i've tried the demo i just can't wrap my head around it :(
there needs to be a simple video of of someone taking a raw sample , slicing it up, and assinging the slices for Liveslice, then triggering them. thats all the tutoring folks would need.

but we digress. I wasn't going to mention names but yep liveslice was one of those, its potential is rediculously obvious, I knew it was one to watch when ohm made it capable of recording audio, it seems like most slicer developers try hard to leave stuff out, I dunno why that is but I can't wait until Liveslice and Guru get the note off on release feature.

now back to the slicer challenge ladies & gents.... in this corner we have_____________
and in this corner we have__________________???

ModuLR wrote:I think I'd be interested in giving a go at creating a slicer (although time is the biggest issue for me, so I might not finish).. I own Phatmatik and LiveSlice which are great... but there isn't enough in the way of flat out sample manipulation... I don't think anyone pushes it far enough. I want start/end loop points that can be automated, and subloops for granular type effects (think slifty or a pseudograins that doesn't alias so bad.. heh), along with a load of other ideas (many mentioned already). Utlimately combined with some interface which is based on the principles of tracking (think unwieldy tracker) but doesn't resemble it visually... because tracker interfaces scare people (cue pHz... ;)).
a cross between slifty/pseudograins and liveslice= :love:

I just think if we all spent our time nagging ohm, LiveSlice might end up being able to do alot of these things (that it doesn't do already).

Maybe not everything though. I don't know if it would end up being a really cool drum sampler in the style of Battery. That's probably a stretch.

But if it took more of a direction that ModulR was writing about that's surely not out of the realm of possibility - ie increase the number of sample mangling options.

Regards
Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

I'd throw in some money on this also. Sounds like a good idea.

Return to “Instruments”