New drum-synth called smackbox. Beta-testing has commenced!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like the look of it, but how does it cope with the huge big kick drums used in the likes of hardcore / gabber / jumpstyle whatever ? Can it lay out the basics so that 3rd party distortion units can carry it on.

So far I am at a loss for finding a great drum synth for a real big powerful kick drum that would form the foundations for the harder styles.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

For harder styles I say distortion + feedback delay + heavy EQ is the solution, no matter what drum you feed into it. Smackbox works just fine for hardstyle/newstyle/gabber.

Here's a VST export of the schematic I posted on the synthmaker forums:
https://sites.google.com/site/gstefanha ... ects=0&d=1
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

mudpeople wrote:im always interested in another drum-synth! :D

Ive been using acid milch und honig's transistordrums as my main kit, Ive demoed as many as I can find commercial or otherwise, and thats the one ive put to the most use.

Im always trying to find new drum machines with different sounds, thoguh, for Roland-emulation sounds the Transistor does fine, but ONLY those.

Im interested to demo your software whatever it sounds like though! :D

Is there a demo link or do I need to wait? If you would be so kind i can beta test, I use mainly Renoise but Live and Reaper also. I heavily use drum-synths so Ill give it a good run-through in all programs. Im eager to hear it regardless :D
I won't restart the beta test program, since I won't finish this drumsynth myself. That's why I released the schematic ("source code") to the general public, so anyone can continue working on it if they want to.
Stefan H Singer

stefancrs wrote:I won't finish this drumsynth myself. That's why I released the schematic ("source code") to the general public, so anyone can continue working on it if they want to.
http://dskmusic.blogspot.com/
Is there any changes from your plugin ?

yup, dsk's GUI is uglier.

sinkmusic wrote:
stefancrs wrote:I won't finish this drumsynth myself. That's why I released the schematic ("source code") to the general public, so anyone can continue working on it if they want to.
http://dskmusic.blogspot.com/
Is there any changes from your plugin ?

First time I heard of this :)

Mainly the UI I guess, which has been slightly reworked. Without looking at the schematic it's hard to tell if he did anything else to it. Since my original patches are the ones he ships with the plugin (and they still sound the same :)) I'd venture a guess that he hasn't changed the actual code.

He's free to do whatever he wants with it in my opinion, and if he sorts out bugs and keeps developing it, everyone wins.
Stefan H Singer

silicon/silicium wrote:yup, dsk's GUI is uglier.
Yes, i prefer this one
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35 ... drums.png/]Image

this one kicks hard. and now is also free.

silicon/silicium wrote:this one kicks hard. and now is also free.
:D
Yes, he didn't even need to be rebranded or get a facelift

sinkmusic wrote:
silicon/silicium wrote:this one kicks hard. and now is also free.
:D
Yes, he didn't even need to be rebranded or get a facelift
If you prefer my UI, just use the DLL I posted above :)
Stefan H Singer

Thanks for sharing Stefan ... I prefer your GUI to the DSK one by a long way.

I also prefer your GUI, but what i prefer mainly is that you are the true creator of the plugin, and in the DSK zip folder, i don't see any credit for your work.
I'm glad if your discontinued plugin gets an update and a new life, but according to my own ethics, the least to do is giving you some credits for your work, and not "just" slapping a new GUI and no new presets.
DSK must be a good man, but i would be all for giving you some credits in a .txt file, creating new presets and letting us know if any bugs were fixed.
My 2 cents ;)

I won't argue with DSK, and I won't argue with your points either ;)
Stefan H Singer

sinkmusic wrote:DSK must be a good man
I can't concur. He* got banned from KVR for ripping off several developers, and for blatantly using pirated Photoshop to make his GUIs. He then engaged in a long series of increasingly abusive ban-evading accounts, of which one or more might still be active (can't be certain but I'm keeping my eye on a couple of nicks).

Failing to give the real creator of the software credit for his work strikes me as a continuation of that sort of dishonest behavior.
Last edited by Meffy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It is a real shame this software has had dev stopped on it,it looks really interesting and sounds good-Sounds like some machine drum sounds may be in the sample library.
Hope a dev picks this up and runs with it,seems a shame to just let it fade away.
Why has the original developer stopped developing it?
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

Return to “Instruments”