VST Oversampler 1.4 (with SSE/3DNow! support)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Oversampler

well. don't mean to bash wusik but i just saved myself $40 ...
I was just thinking the same thing. Though it would be nice to see some of the functionality from the Wusik-tool added... :)
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

RooGoo wrote:Small code = Good code

Thx Arke :tu:
KISS :D ... well, it _could_ be smaller :shrug:
Genetic_Junk wrote:Thanks for this. :) Is there a way to implement greater than 2x oversampling?
ericj23 wrote:Heres another perverse question - can i down sample with it

powercore virus will not run for love or money at 96khz - i run a few projects at that rate but would like to use the virus too - so if you could have a downsampling host that would be great
One of my future idea is to add more modes than just .os.dll - also add .os4.dll for 4x oversampling, and I guess .us.dll for the undersampling.
Josmoker wrote:
I was just thinking the same thing. Though it would be nice to see some of the functionality from the Wusik-tool added... :)
You mean the oversampling amount selectable from the GUI? I've been thinking about how to best do that.
tonAP wrote:Hi Chris
Here's a 'perverse' question:
if I'd like to run the oversampler with energyXTE (VST not stand alone) hosted by SaviHost? SaviHost works like your: by renaming the original dll, but <plugin>.exe so... I've to put your dll into energy's folder, then rename the oversampler .dll to energyXTE.os.dll, then place SaviHost.exe into the same folder, then rename it to energyXTE.os.exe; finally double click the exe and...? BOOM!!!: if this 'perverse' renamingame does work we should run SaviHost =>hosting energyXTE *oversampled* => hosting whatever VST FX-Synth you'll drag'ndrop. That would be so cool!
What do you think about: should it work?

Thnx!

Antonio
Yes, that should work fine. (I used SaviHost for testing the Oversampler with synths)
to-pse wrote:Hi,

it would be neat if this could be done not only to a single VST, but rather to a complete chain.
This way there would only be the need to do the resampling once for all instruments and not
multiple times.
It could be done, but then I wouldn't be able to use my extremely transparent hosting approach, and would instead have to implement a "full" host, which would bring about alot of headaches regarding VST compatibility.

Thanks everybody. :D
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

Thanks for this interesting plug. I tested it but it seems to crash Orion no matter what synth is oversampled. Hint: Wrapping it in energyXt helps here.

But my bigger problem is that I hear absolute no difference between the original and the oversampled sound ... what synths/presets would you recommend for testing this effect to hear what it does?

chris:
would it be possible to wrap one instance of the plug inside another instance of the plug and then put the synth in that? El cheapo way of achieving 4x oversampling, perhaps? Methinks its a little out there but maybe it could work...

MaxJoy wrote:But my bigger problem is that I hear absolute no difference between the original and the oversampled sound ...
+1

MaxJoy wrote:Thanks for this interesting plug. I tested it but it seems to crash Orion no matter what synth is oversampled. Hint: Wrapping it in energyXt helps here.
:shock: That sounds pretty serious, although it's likely that this has something to do with me not handling the audioMasterCallback correctly. The next update fixes this, but I don't know if it fixes the problem with Orion.

I'll release the update sometime today, could you test it again then? If it still doesn't work, I'll have to download the Orion demo and look for myself...
MaxJoy wrote:But my bigger problem is that I hear absolute no difference between the original and the oversampled sound ... what synths/presets would you recommend for testing this effect to hear what it does?
If the source effect is already antialiased, then the oversampling wrapper won't do a thing.

If you happen to have reFX Claw installed, try it with that (it's how I made the audio clip above).
joshhunsaker wrote:chris:
would it be possible to wrap one instance of the plug inside another instance of the plug and then put the synth in that? El cheapo way of achieving 4x oversampling, perhaps? Methinks its a little out there but maybe it could work...
Yep, that should work ... you need to have <plugin>.dll and <plugin>.os.dll and <plugin>.os.os.dll - should work, I think, although I haven't tried that.
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

hey...that's pretty nifty!

... I don't get it. Why don't you just run your sequencer at the higher rate?
m@

it only means that if your software synth supports the higher sample rate, it will run at that rate. If you set the card to 192khz and your synth supports a max of 44 it will run at 44.

The oversampler "hosts" another VST plugin, and oversamples it by 2. Because of this, aliasing has twice the frequency range to unfold, which means that the aliasing that enters back into the audible domain is much less, and upon downsampling, the upper range (containing only aliasing) is discarded.
that's a much more honest description than 'it eliminates aliasing & makes sound more analog', if you see what I'm talking about :)
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

tony tony chopper wrote:
The oversampler "hosts" another VST plugin, and oversamples it by 2. Because of this, aliasing has twice the frequency range to unfold, which means that the aliasing that enters back into the audible domain is much less, and upon downsampling, the upper range (containing only aliasing) is discarded.
that's a much more honest description than 'it eliminates aliasing & makes sound more analog', if you see what I'm talking about :)
:lol:

metamorphosis wrote:... I don't get it. Why don't you just run your sequencer at the higher rate?
m@
If you only have a problem with one or two plugins this is a nifty way to save CPU cycles. This way only the plugins that "needs" to run at 2X samplerate does so.

Josmoker wrote:
Yeah I feel kinda bad for buying it already. I've got some free stuff from him in the past, so I can rationalize it that way.

Anyways thanks again for this plugin.

this even makes Mr. Alias sound better
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

I'm looking forward to using this thing, especially since it should run effects as well. Synth oscillator aliasing doesn't really bother me as much (my workhorse synths that I like don't really alias) but some distortion plugs that have no anti-aliasing will definitely prosper with this. Especially waveshaping plugs.
tony tony chopper wrote:
:hihi:

Return to “Instruments”