Shortcircuit now freeware.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
4969 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from Glasgow

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 am

Quick question...why do only wav files show up in the sample browser? (sc2) Also, how do i load a file not listed in the browser?

KVRAF
21339 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 am

You can load .wavs by drag and drop from Explorer...

KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:54 am

jens wrote:You can load .wavs by drag and drop from Explorer...
Cool, but they already show up in the sample browser pane. :P It's rex files, soundfonts etc i'm concerned about.

KVRAF
5703 posts since 6 Dec, 2003 from Mission Control

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:16 pm

Reverse Engineer wrote:
Cool, but they already show up in the sample browser pane. :P It's rex files, soundfonts etc i'm concerned about.
AFAIK nether drag and drop (or ctrl DnD) or rex files work in SC2. If they do I haven't figured it out yet. To see patches in SC2's browser (and SF2, SFZ too) provided your config is set to look where they are, click patch.

Rex seems to work fine in SC1. DL SampleCatalog and you'll have SC2's browser function +++ for SC1 and any other program that has DnD.

SampleCatalog
http://www.geocities.com/samplecatalog/

KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:30 pm

tomg wrote:
Reverse Engineer wrote:
AFAIK nether drag and drop (or ctrl DnD) or rex files work in SC2. If they do I haven't figured it out yet. To see patches in SC2's browser (and SF2, SFZ too) provided your config is set to look where they are, click patch.

Rex seems to work fine in SC1. DL SampleCatalog and you'll have SC2's browser function +++ for SC1 and any other program that has DnD.

SampleCatalog
http://www.geocities.com/samplecatalog/
Cheers tomg, got my soundfonts sorted now. :hyper: :tu:

KVRian
742 posts since 8 Feb, 2005

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:58 am

hcv242 wrote:
ive found some more issues in sc2. i would like someone else to confirm this stuff so that i know if theyre general or just happening to me.

- when i load sc2 in minihost or savihost the memory use starts increasing by steps of 4 kbs each second . memory leak ? (ive checked it with win task manager, i dont really know how accurate that is).

- set lfo 1 to tempo sync, the hz will become beats. set lfo 2 to tempo sync, the hz will become beats. unset lfo 1 tempo sync, beats will become hz. check lfo 2. though lfo 2 is set to tempo sync is erroneously showing hz. (this one is pretty confirmed)

- decreasing part polyphony has no consequences at all. (not sure about this one. maybe im overlooking something)

- when instanced in renoise, if i drag a sample to the keyboard zone and drop it, nothing happens, the zone is not created. the same happens if i double click a patch, it simply does not load. also if i setup the controllers in sc2's config window and save they are not reloaded the next time i instance sc2 in renoise.

anyone ?

KVRian
581 posts since 9 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Has anyone managed to get sc2 working in Logic5?
(Come to think of it, does anyone other than me still use Logic5...?)

sc2 loads OK, and the sample browser seems to work OK, but it won't let me assign samples to zones: when I drag one from R to L a little blue fella appears next to the keyboard...then promptly disappears again as soon as I release the mouse button. There are various other issues, too; e.g. "Switch to Pad View" doesn't work.

With plug-ins that misbehave in Logic, I've found that loading them via xlutop Chainer can sometimes sort things out. But I get the same problems there, and it's the same running Chainer in standalone mode, too.

However, sc2 (0.5.1) seems to work fine in VSTHost/SAVIHost...

[@ hcv242: I was interested to read your post, but I found no sign of the memory use problem you describe]

...so there IS a way round this: if you insert LegreeI into Logic you can run VSTHost in Slave mode and use sc2 via that. Which works, but:

1. it's not 100% stable
2. you can't use more than one of sc2's outputs
3. it all seems a wee bit complicated to me

Any thorts/advice?

KVRAF
2901 posts since 26 Jul, 2005 from dun unda

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:01 pm

You best use version 1. My friend Dave still uses Logic 5, though I'll have to ask him whether or not shortcircuit works on his set up.

KVRian
581 posts since 9 Jul, 2004

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:52 am

MaliceX wrote:You best use version 1.
I like sc1 a lot, actually. I think I tried a demo/cutdown version a while ago, but I had other priorities at the time and it kind of slipped from my mind. Then when they released it as freeware I dl'ed it and was instantly impressed: I like the way it does things, it's superstable, and the filters & fx are pretty damn good, too.

Plus I actually like the way it looks; I've just about had enough of "whacky" GUIs with retina-threatening colour schemes and sliders shaped like pieces of fruit, thanks very much :shock:

@tomg: Great tip about SampleCatalog, can't believe I didn't know about this before! It's just made my life a LOT easier, so many thanks! :)
MaliceX wrote:My friend Dave still uses Logic 5
...and there was me thinking I was the only one left in the whole world...

KVRian
858 posts since 14 Sep, 2004

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:42 am

The only thing I wish it had: direct from disk sample playing. With that, it would be an even more serious instrument. But I feel embarrassed to want a feature in this already great program.

KVRAF
2901 posts since 26 Jul, 2005 from dun unda

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Jake Jackson wrote:The only thing I wish it had: direct from disk sample playing. With that, it would be an even more serious instrument. But I feel embarrassed to want a feature in this already great program.
Didn't version 1 do DFD anyway? At least, it loads my samples quicker than sfz..that's for sure.

KVRian
679 posts since 20 Nov, 2006

Post Tue May 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Shortcircuit knowledge base condenced in one small archive
head over to http://forum.vemberaudio.se/index.php/topic,1237.0.html
sometimes it's hard not to be an asshole © mellotronaut
you work so somebody can rest
Doing sound synthesis if organs is all you get, leave it alone

All Rights Deserved

KVRAF
1538 posts since 15 Aug, 2001 from montreal, canada

Post Tue May 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Very cool! Thank you.

KVRist
306 posts since 23 Mar, 2008

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't know if this has already been answered but I looked briefly through the comments and didn't see it. In SC2, when you click on a folder with sf2 soundfonts in it, the media browser loads not just a list of sound fonts but all the programs inside all those sound fonts, and spits out the whole list into the browser. it's hard for me to determine then what is from what sound font. Is there a way to turn off this feature or organize it more clearly?

Return to “Instruments”