Shortcircuit now freeware.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
21338 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:47 pm

bduffy wrote:Too bad. I was always hoping some upstart like this would come along and beat Kontakt with a speedy, full-featured interface...alas... :(
Claes wrote: Don't expect much in the way of support, but maybe there might be a small community growing up from it and I just might become more motivated. The most important bugs will probably still be fixed, but don't expect it to be swift.
Claes wrote: Well the real change I'm planning would not be so much about letting it die as it becoming freeware. I just don't feel good about it staying as a commercial product at the current rate it's developing. With a larger vibrant userbase I might just as well be more motivated to work at it than at the moment even if it's only role commercially would be as a surge-ad, who knows?.

;-) :-D

KVRAF
6490 posts since 14 Jun, 2004 from Rochester, NY

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:53 pm

hmm awesome too bad im stuck in Kontakt 2- buggy and all... :P

That's all I use.... no nki loading in SC1 :P

Well I'll use sc for slicing or something

thank you guys always

RonC

KVRAF
19096 posts since 13 Feb, 2003 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:55 pm

Hmm..interesting...

KVRian
678 posts since 22 Dec, 2004 from norway

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:15 pm

Works fine here. Installed the latest version of SC1. Tried to upload aFender-rhodes soundfont with 4 switch layers. Worked fine. Only thing I had to adjust was output level.

All the best
gunnare

KVRAF
4163 posts since 8 Mar, 2005

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:26 pm

I was eyeing at Battery 3 for a long time. Looks that SC2 might well save me a ton of money. :D

KVRian
838 posts since 21 Jan, 2006 from Athens, Greece

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:27 pm

WOW... This freeware is great! Especially for those of us who paid 150 Euros for it! Yep! They are the best 150 freeware Euros ever spent!!!!

KVRAF
2830 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:37 pm

hrm, I'm all for this if it means more sales of Surge and more development on that end... But I really hope it works out that way, because I'd hate to see surge dissapear...

KVRAF
21338 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:46 pm

MitchK1989 wrote: I'd hate to see surge dissapear...
hm... it seems you all guys aren't paying attention - it's obvious that Claes does not depend on the money. From what he wrote it appears there are three possible main motives for him to continue developing a product:

- he uses it himself since he's got a need for it

- significant sales numbers

- a happy vibrant user-base of significant size

And Shortcircuit didn't seem to deliver any of it - but:
Claes wrote: The situation with Surge is completely different. It's my definite to-go synth when making music, a way better seller than SC ever was and it's pretty much perfect in its current state, any improvements are just gravy. (the 1.5.0 upgrade has taken longer than it should've had though)

KVRAF
8018 posts since 2 Aug, 2005 from Guitar Land, USA

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:50 pm

I finally mapped notes to midi in version2, as I was assuming, it involved the left side of the screen, my monitor is very small and I just barely managed to drag files over and map them.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

KVRAF
5703 posts since 6 Dec, 2003 from Mission Control

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:51 pm

There seems to be some problems saving and loading banks and with projects and and such. :?

I'm guessing it doesn't remember the right path and gets lost. I was all ready to post in about how it only took a few minutes to build up a small multi bank and do a tune but it can't remember where it leaves things. The config file does not seem to help much. I lost a tiny little demo project in eXT1.4 because I wisely tried saving and reloading early. :)

When I save a bank "with samples" it makes a directory but doesn't put samples in there. So what am I doing wrong?

hummmm maybe I'm supposta copy the samples? The manual isn't very clear. I'll try again.

KVRAF
4163 posts since 8 Mar, 2005

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:55 pm

plz mention if you're talking about V1 or V2.

In V1, you can save channel, or you can save multi. Saving the channel will write a folder with all the wavs inside.

In V2, I haven't tried yet, but it hasnt crashed on me (yet). V1 is rocksolid so far.

Anyways, I won't be here for 2 weeks - hopefully Claues gets back on track with Shortcircuit 2 and completes it. I'm happy as SC1 is, but SC2's browser, key mapping, effects system, and sample view are things to die for.

Kudos. :D

KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:55 pm

AFAICT and the help file says, it does not copy the samples. Hand copying them to the created dir does nothing. If you want to use your current SFZ lib save a group .SCG file to the same directory as the SFZ file. Now it can find the samples when loaded as a bank. Project loading in eXT is still not working for me and I don't have time right now to chase this any further.

KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:58 pm

keyman_sam wrote:plz mention if you're talking about V1 or V2.

In V1, you can save channel, or you can save multi. Saving the channel will write a folder with all the wavs inside.

In V2, I haven't tried yet, but it hasnt crashed on me (yet). V1 is rocksolid so far.

Anyways, I won't be here for 2 weeks - hopefully Claues gets back on track with Shortcircuit 2 and completes it. I'm happy as SC1 is, but SC2's browser, key mapping, effects system, and sample view are things to die for.

Kudos. :D
Oh... sorry v1.2. I'll try again. :)

KVRAF
1601 posts since 24 Jun, 2004 from Australia

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:04 pm

I've never had a problem with V1 loading the right samples. I suppose I always save a multichannel with WAVs... It's annoying that it doesn't seem to search the samples folders you specify exactly, as if I move a sample and adjust the folders in the setup accordingly, it still comes up asking what happened... But other than that, I've been quite happy with Shortcircuit.

I paid for it second hand so didn't spend as much as some of you, but I don't mind Claes freeing it. Pity about the money I spent I guess... Maybe he could've had a period where it just wasn't available, so that no one bought it close to the time he released it... And then freewared it. Maybe? But anyway, here it is and it's done. :P

KVRian
612 posts since 28 Sep, 2004

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 pm

tomg wrote:There seems to be some problems saving and loading banks and with projects and and such. :?

I'm guessing it doesn't remember the right path and gets lost. I was all ready to post in about how it only took a few minutes to build up a small multi bank and do a tune but it can't remember where it leaves things. The config file does not seem to help much. I lost a tiny little demo project in eXT1.4 because I wisely tried saving and reloading early. :)

When I save a bank "with samples" it makes a directory but doesn't put samples in there. So what am I doing wrong?

hummmm maybe I'm supposta copy the samples? The manual isn't very clear. I'll try again.
In V1, this saving problem has been in there forever. Check this thread:

http://forum.vemberaudio.se/index.php/topic,795.0.html

But basically, if you save multi + samples, the paths in sc are not updated to the newly created directory. You have to click "load" and load the newly created bank (scm file). Now there is a second problem, the paths of the wavs use a variable called $relative which is supposed to be the path where the scm (multi file) is located. Unfortunately, for some reason this $relative path seems to be the path of the host project which may not match the scm file location - so you could get a "cannot find samples" message next time you open the project.
Anyway, after experiencing over and over this message and not seeing a fix in sight, I wrote a little vbs script that goes through the scm file (luckily, it is a neat xml file) and replaces all instances of $relative with the actual absolute path of the directory. Using absolute paths is the only foolproof method I have found to avoid the dreaded "cannot find samples" message.

This is one thing that has seriously needed to get fixed for a long time, though with the vbs script, it is workable IMO as long as you do it consistently. More info in the vember thread.

In short, to save:
1) save multi+samples
2) copy vbs script into scm directory
2) run script
3) load scm into sc
4) save host project

Again, this is sc1 only.

Return to “Instruments”