Shortcircuit now freeware.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
5548 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:02 pm

As usual I'm late to this news, as with everything else. :roll:

Thanks to the OP for the heads-up.

And a HUGE thanks to Claes for making it freeware. :hail: :hail: :clap: :clap:
SC has been on my list for quite a while - I use SC Free and was simply waiting for SC2 to come out and then buy it. Aside from sounding very very good, anything he designs for VemberAudio...it is the design that has always impressed me. You can tell Claes uses the things he codes. I'm a devout use-my-own-patches type saddo who never uses presets, and for anyone who patches synths etc, Claes has a real feel for what the patcher needs and wants. I always thought it sad that SC didn't sell more copies as it's so much more intuitive than any other sampler out there. Now I get the full version free...for an old cynic, it's a kind of emotional kick up the arse to see him do this. I seriously am humbled.

Thank you ever so much Claes. :love:

KVRian
794 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from tittyland

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Is there anywhere for a sampler retard to get a walkthru on how to use SCV1? I just need to learn the basics and how to map samples..have it change pitches like a keyboard or be a drum kit..enable audio effects..etc. I have figured out the easy stuff like seting outputs, and just want to get more into it and mangle some sunds.

KVRian
1087 posts since 27 Nov, 2006

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:29 am

I agree it's good and a shame that SC has been made freeware. I have downloaded them and played with them for a while and agree that they are easy to use yet very powerful. It's a shame because they won't be developed any further.

There is so much potential with SC2 that will never be realised. Perhaps it's an idea that SC2 be made open source for it to be developed further by volunteers? I know that it was the original intention for them to be a sort of advertisment for other products but there's no reason why this cannot continue even when SC2 is being developed by the community rather than a company.

Just my thoughts.

KVRAF
5703 posts since 6 Dec, 2003 from Mission Control

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:01 am

swivel wrote:
tomg wrote:There seems to be some problems saving and loading banks and with projects and and such.
In V1, this saving problem has been in there forever. Check this thread:

http://forum.vemberaudio.se/index.php/topic,795.0.html
I had set the home:path to c:\samples. I removed the path and it started finding files as long as a host does the loading. Saving and loading .FXP patch banks also works now.

The internal SC1 save routines are still non-functional but that's ok I don't need or want to save my SFZ banks in yet another format. Anyway, right now it's absolutely usable and working great in eXT, Reaper and P5 so I can go ahead and ditch all the SF2 and SFZ players lurking in my VST folder. :D :D

KVRian
1171 posts since 21 Feb, 2004

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 am

wow, thank you so much for setting it free!
Nobody's a nobody...

Banned
1842 posts since 4 Aug, 2004 from just right here

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 am

amazing, thank you :D

KVRAF
6693 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:05 am

auricle wrote:Perhaps it's an idea that SC2 be made open source for it to be developed further by volunteers? I know that it was the original intention for them to be a sort of advertisment for other products but there's no reason why this cannot continue even when SC2 is being developed by the community rather than a company.
If SCs developer is anything like any other programmer I know then there's probably a lot of re-used code between his apps. So releasing the code to SC would open up Surge (for instance) as well to some degree... probably not what he wants at all (trade secrets perhaps...?)

Anyway, another cool tool for free, I hope SC1 users who bought it aren't feeling burned or anything...
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

KVRAF
2901 posts since 26 Jul, 2005 from dun unda

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:59 am

This is like a dream too good to be true.. :O:O:O
But it's here... :O

To release a masterpiece such as this (the demo already says more than enough) as freeware is like a huge decision, at the same a tremendously generous gift on his behalf...

Big thanks, and seriously, good luck on your future endeavours, claes!

KVRist
185 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Edinburgh, UK

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:21 am

I can't get anything to load into SC2.

I can right-click and drag folders from explorer to my heart's content but no menu appears for adding a shortcut, and nothing happens... This is in Reaper 2.010. :(

What am I doing wrong?
-Res

KVRAF
21337 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:41 am

Resonance wrote:I can't get anything to load into SC2.

I can right-click and drag folders from explorer to my heart's content but no menu appears for adding a shortcut, and nothing happens... This is in Reaper 2.010. :(

What am I doing wrong?

In the folder you installed SC2 to there's the folder 'database' containing two subfolders: 'patches' and 'samples'

'Patches' is where the references to your sample-programs go to and 'samples' is where the references to your .wavs go to.

You can add references by right-clicking and dragging the original folders and then chosing 'add shortcut here' from the explorer-menu which pops up when you drop them.

After you have added new references you need to refresh the database - you can do this by right-clicking in SC2's browser (using the included .exe doesn't work here and makes SC2 crashing my hosts).

KVRAF
5329 posts since 8 Aug, 2003 from Berlin Germany

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:44 am

What is in version 2 that isn't in V1?

KVRAF
21337 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:47 am

At least the gui is imo much better/easier to handle and it uses less cpu (personally I don't like SC1's gui - it look to much like a spreadsheet to me - SC2's gui I find absolutely lovely though).

KVRAF
1888 posts since 22 Mar, 2002 from Timisoara, Romania

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:53 am

thanks for this great sampler ! big thanks.
sc1 works well in Renoise 1.9 but sc2 doesnt.
sc2 doesnt show its popups ...

KVRian
851 posts since 28 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:07 am

soma wrote:What is in version 2 that isn't in V1?
The integrated browser + the GREAT replace sample buttons (finally!)

(just wish xt2 sampler had a logical replace sample feature like that... :roll:)

Also I think sc2 has some more fx that sc1 hasn't (reverb, phaser, chorus).

KVRian
858 posts since 14 Sep, 2004

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:14 am

Took me a while, but now I see how to load samples: you have to do it entirely outside of the program. I thought people were saying that you should drag a file or folder to the word Samples at the right of the interface. Instead:

1. Open two instances of Windows Explorer, one showing the folder in which you have samples, and the other showing the Samples folder for SC2. Reduce the size of the windows so you can see both sets of folders at once.

2. Right-click on the folder that contains your samples, drag it onto the Samples folder, and release the mouse button. You are given several choices on a drop-down menu. Choose Make Shortcuts here. The shortcut will be created in the Samples folder.

3. Go to the SC2 interface, right-click in the database area below Sample|Patch|Used and click on Refresh database. The list of samples will appear.

4. To map a sample, left-click on it and drag it across the interface to the gray area to the right of the vertical keyboard graphic.
Last edited by Jake Jackson on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”