"Korg Prophecy" VSTi remake

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
3209 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:03 pm

egbert101 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 am
0degree wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 am
Wonder what happened to the OP - only 2 posts 14 years ago. Did he find replacement? Why did he sell the original hardware? Did he buy it again? So many questions...
He got eaten by a dinosaur.
AnX?
;)

KVRist
303 posts since 26 Jul, 2018 from Germany

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:49 am

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not blown away by the sound of the plugin.

In the nineties it was maybe something special, but nowadays there are better choices. It is also possible, that the emulation doesn't cover the original sound. I don't know, I never had a hardware Korg Prophecy....

KVRist
109 posts since 23 Mar, 2019

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:14 am

Me too. I have a Trinity with a MOSS board, and with a few notable exceptions I have always preferred its PCM sounds.

User avatar
KVRAF
32810 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:23 am

Rastkovic wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:49 am
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not blown away by the sound of the plugin.

In the nineties it was maybe something special, but nowadays there are better choices. It is also possible, that the emulation doesn't cover the original sound. I don't know, I never had a hardware Korg Prophecy....
I have a Z1 - maybe the algo's were much improved in that but to me this doesn't come close, not impressed at all by the physically modelled sounds.

KVRist
497 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:27 am

0degree wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 am
Wonder what happened to the OP - only 2 posts 14 years ago. Did he find replacement? Why did he sell the original hardware? Did he buy it again? So many questions...
He got abducted by Korg and forced to code the Prophecy VST. He got released a few days ago.

KVRian
580 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:20 pm

andypryce wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:27 am
0degree wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 am
Wonder what happened to the OP - only 2 posts 14 years ago. Did he find replacement? Why did he sell the original hardware? Did he buy it again? So many questions...
He got abducted by Korg and forced to code the Prophecy VST. He got released a few days ago.
:o

User avatar
KVRAF
11284 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:23 pm

Rastkovic wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:49 am
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not blown away by the sound of the plugin.

In the nineties it was maybe something special, but nowadays there are better choices. It is also possible, that the emulation doesn't cover the original sound. I don't know, I never had a hardware Korg Prophecy....
I never owned a Prophecy… because I worked in a music shop that carried them. Frankly, the consensus of the staff was the sound wasn’t great and kind of gimmicky. With all the great Korg synths out there, I’m surprised they revived this one. I’d have loved a DW-8000 emulation. This… not really that interested. Great VA is a dime a dozen (or actually free) and I’m sure any SWAM instrument is going to sound way more convincing than anything the Prophecy could do.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
KVRAF
4543 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:14 pm

It's not just about the acoustic models but the whole package
Variable phase modulation , f mod ,osc's can modulate each other , two waveshapers , a global (post filter) feedback routing etc..+ vast modulation system .( hope they iron out the bug )
The potential is huge
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KVRist
67 posts since 1 Aug, 2009

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:08 pm

I have the HW and though I haven't done a side by side test to me it is like the original.

It's analog and acoustic modeling plus some other stuff circa 1995. It was a big deal at the time because it went places the ROMplers of the day just couldn't go even though the original was monophonic. The performance controls were also excellent.

By todays standards there are other choices for modeling and some synths that offer a variety of different synthesis techniques. But by modern standards the Prophecy is gloriously imperfect in its own way because when it starts going out of bounds it sometimes does unique things due to the technology of its day. And when it's in bounds, it's still a very capable synth with a variety of synthesis techniques in one package.

Return to “Instruments”