Arturia Moog Modular

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
5174 posts since 29 Apr, 2006

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:36 pm

Anyone use this? I tried the demo and it is really cool!
I know its been out a while

How are all the sounds?
you cant load presets in the demo.

How is much of a cpu hog is it?

KVRian
577 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:50 pm

The sounds are good. It has more depth to the sound than arturia's minimoog v, and minimoog v seems more of a cpu hog.

KVRian
623 posts since 28 Jan, 2005 from hollywood

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:11 pm

...loves it

uses lotsa CPU but if you're dual-coring (even old pentD or amd FX) then should be fine.

bellpad is moogV: http://www.nonplussed.net/audio/np_cd.m3u

i would suggest their mini over this unless you are genuinely into the modular aspect. the mini is great and has a lot of extra modulation options -- in other words, one doesn't feel limited at all. i find myself neglecting the moogV a lot simply because i don't feel like 'grabbing a bunch of cables'.

KVRAF
1823 posts since 26 Nov, 2005 from Where silence and chaos meet.

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:50 pm

it's still the best sounding of Arturia's stuff for me. The included presets are good and varied, and it's a good synth to learn how to use modulars and how synths work. if you are new to synthesis, it might be a double edges sword, though. its various possibilities can be intimidating for a beginer if all you want it a few good sounds and tweaking just a knob or two, and in that case the MinimoogV might be more straightfoward. CPU goes to light for simple patches to heavy with the whole shebang, but it's worthy. read the manual (very good), and you'll quickly start to create your own sounds in no time.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

KVRist
397 posts since 8 Aug, 2004 from Munich, Germany

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:50 am

The Arturia Modular is one of the coolest, inspiring, most versatile and best sounding virtual analog synths. When Arturia started with this, it costed nearly twice as much as their other synths. I did *not* hesitate to buy it for this price and never regretted it. Put up to nine moog oscillators through several moog filters, exotic devices such as the bode frequency shifter, accompanied with a step sequencer: this can use some cpu cyles. If you just want some minimoog-alike basses / low complexity, cpu usage will be quite ok.
Sounds are good and numerous, some contributions even by Klaus Schulze (in case you like Berlin School).
Some of the sequences and the deep synth drones in my Arkana (see sig) are Modular V
Hope this helps,
Andreas

ew
KVRAF
9222 posts since 23 Jul, 2002 from Pequot Lakes, MN

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:25 am

AndreasKrebs wrote:The Arturia Modular is one of the coolest, inspiring, most versatile and best sounding virtual analog synths. When Arturia started with this, it costed nearly twice as much as their other synths.
?

The Moog Modular was their first synth (unless you want to count Storm...).

I like the Modular myself. While I don't use it much anymore, there's still some places where it's my first choice. The Bode shifter's a thing of beauty...

ew
A spectral heretic...

KVRAF
2170 posts since 2 Jan, 2003 from right here...

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:07 pm

...I miss my MMV :(. Big mistake that I have sold it - I hope he likes it at autodafe's...

KVRist

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:41 pm

ew wrote:
AndreasKrebs wrote:When Arturia started with this, it costed nearly twice as much as their other synths.
?

The Moog Modular was their first synth (unless you want to count Storm...).
Oh, sorry, I meant: when I realized there was somthing like the Modular, Arturia had the Modular, the Minimoog and the CS 80, I think (maybe also the ARP). The Modular was still version 1 when I bought it.
Cheers,
Andreas

KVRAF
6496 posts since 26 Nov, 2004 from Frederick, MD

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:47 pm

I've used it on several projects...and have tried to use it on many more but ended up using other synths.

I'm a huge fan of Berlin School music and was excited about having a Moog Modular emulation. But I found out this thing has all the headaches of programming the real thing along with some new hassles (small fiddly controls, not 100% modular--as in you can't configure the modules exactly like you want but have to use pre-determined either/or configurations...and you're limited to two outputs).

As far as sound goes, it may just be me but I find the synth has a rather mushy sound that does not cut through mixes, especially its bass. Just auditioning the presets you might not be able to tell, but add it into a mix and there's something very lacking in it...lots of bottom end with no punch. Added to that are the built-in FX, which are very poor, IMO. I also seem to remember that it's a real beast to try and keep from peaking. The real thing was probably like that, too, but peaking in digital is infinitely worse than doing so with analog. Digital volume peaks = digital distortions 100% of the time (very bad).

So, it being such a bitch to program, having lack luster sound performance and being an absolute CPU hog...I find it almost never worth using. If I had more time to really get to know it, I might find more use for it with really complex presets...but for leads and basses and pads and most other synth sounds, it's better to use other programs.

YMMV

Personally, I think Vaz Modular is much better sounding, more versatile, easier to program and (unfortunately) much more underrated.

KVRian
680 posts since 17 Aug, 2007

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:02 pm

memyselfandus wrote: How are all the sounds?
you cant load presets in the demo.
You can't? I could have sworn there was a drop-down box that let you load them when I tried the demo.

KVRAF
2310 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Germany

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:42 am

Hi.
I am much interested in the MMV2 too. You may or may not like the sound, it might be confusing to patch and maybe it's CPU hungry but most I ask myself is if it is as buggy as I have read in some other forums... that give the impression it is just full of any nasty stuff one can think of, making it hard to seriously use it beond demoing at home... is this really true or just a lot of nit picking?
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

KVRist
165 posts since 18 Sep, 2004 from Mannheim / Germany

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:39 am

TiUser wrote:...is this really true or just a lot of nit picking?
Just download the demo and try yourself ...

The Moog Modular V was released in 2003 and it is still selling today ... it can't be sooo bad, can it? :wink:

Cheers

Frank
"But please don't listen to me
I've already been poisoned by this industry!"
Funk Pop a Roll - XTC

KVRist

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:55 am

TiUser wrote:most I ask myself is if it is as buggy as I have read in some other forums...
As far as I can tell - no. Never had a crash or problem with it (Cubase 4, FX Teleport). Compared with today's standards, CPU usage is no problem, even with several instances running.
Cheers,
Andreas

ew
KVRAF
9222 posts since 23 Jul, 2002 from Pequot Lakes, MN

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 am

The only issues I've ever had with it was graphics noise in standalone with the original 1.0 demo and an underpowered PC. With the actual release versions I've had zero issues.

ew
A spectral heretic...

KVRAF
2310 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Germany

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 am

Hi Folks,
thanks for all replies. I am glad to read that MMV2 seems to run stable.

There was one thread complaining about many niggles in the synth functionallities itself, wrong ADR time display to modules working not as expected... I could confirm some of the simpler stuff with the demo but I guess some is really nit picking...

I think I'll give it a try, I like the sound. :wink:
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

Return to “Instruments”