The most underestimated synths...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sfd wrote:If anything sounded "plastic" in 2003 or 2006 it's almost certian not because of the gear btu rather about the music itself.
Fully exact again. And it depends also deeply the modes, the fashions of the moment.

Some sounds of the seventies and even more of the eighties (think the disco styles for examples) would sound very plastic today... and though they were made with wonderful synths which were also used by Alan Wilder, J-M Jarre, Eddie Jobson, Mike Oldfield, Robert Schroeder, Suzanne Ciani, Kraftwerk, Frank Zappa, Toni Banks, and so many others.

Were these synths focused on plastic sounds ? No.

Were these disco bands making plastic sounds with these synths? Not either.

So, what means "plastic" if it is not simply the relation WE HAVE OURSELVES with this or that kind of sound ?

Even the sounds of vintage organs like the Yamaha Electone D-85 or the Farfisa Melanie Deluxe or the Ace Tone 3000 or the Eminent P275 may be qualified as "plastic" for many current musicians while in fact these sounds are not plastic at all. They are simply chosen among other patches to represent quite faithfully a style of music. It is not because it is not the style of music of this or that musician that it must be qualified of "plastic sound"... it is simply a type of sound which is not made for the style of this musician but which will match perfectly the style of that other musician.

Even organ sounds like those from Klaus Wunderlich may be qualified of "plastic" or "toy" today by the current community of electronic music composers and players... while in fact these sounds are not at all plastic sounds nor toy sounds. They are even extremely beautiful for certain ears even yet today (among them mine).
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

zenvoxpop wrote:I recently quite enjoy Orion1 by Meesha. I would describe it as a charming french knock-off of Uhe Diva.
There nothing special about it, but somehow it's very musical and overall useful and solid synth.

Of course you have to ignore bland presets, dated interface and 32bit-ness (but who cares if you are using Reaper).
Yes. I have ALL his synths ! Meesha is someone we NEVER talk about, here at KVR. And yet not only he makes excellent synths (for himself first but he shares freely all his synths on his website) but in addition he is a very good composer who sometimes reminds very well in his totally original compositions some old 70s/80s Ambient styles of Jarre, Shulze, Schroeder, Schmoelling, Fajerman and other musicians of these Berlin years, cool musics, cosmic ambiences and similar!

His synths are among those which could really be qualified of highly underestimated. Each of his synths doesn't do many things, but what does each of his synths does it extremely well! Some of his sounds are absolutely beautiful!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

egbert101 wrote:One trick I learned to do with it, is to stick some Galbanum Architecture Waveforms 2010 into it (the classic ones). Basically, single-cycle waveforms. You have to tune them right, but once you've done that, you've basically got yourself a moog emulation, or similar, with four oscillators to play with.
Absolutely true.

By the way, the Galbanum Architecture Waveform 2010 is a pure gem. It is its price which is very low in comparison to its huge quality. The Galbanum Architecture Waveform 2010 is something which can totally transform the interest of a so-so instrument into a brand new incredibly well sounding instrument. And when it is used in instruments which are already themselves excellent, the combination creates a symbiosis: each part profits of the other part and the result is much more than the single sum of both parts.

And incidentally it is good to know that with the Galbanum Architecture Waveform 2010 there is matter to spend hundred (to not say thousands) of hours to discover beautiful sounds never heard anywhere else. In Bliss, in Discovery Pro, in Tal-Sampler, in Synthmaster, in Mulab and Mux, in many other instruments (as long as they are able to load single-cycle wav files) this huge collection is a true gem which allows to rediscover differently the synth.

chk071 wrote:[Frankly, that could backfire though, when you can't handle the support requests at all (hint hint, if you read this forum frequently, you probably have faced people already, who wondered why their support requests weren't replied from KV331).
Excuse me :? Gercek is doing full time 1st level support here.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

I'd say Sylenth1 and Spire.
And I am not even kidding.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Rappo Clappo wrote:I'd say Sylenth1 and Spire.
What makes you feel they're overlooked?

sfd wrote:
Thousands of presets. What else???
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

I love the Adventus https://www.kvraudio.com/product/advent ... ftplug_com plugin. Price and quality are unbeatable! :-)

Albino 3 always surprises me at being up to creating new sounds when it is old and now discontinued compared to other VSTs for some years now..

Rappo Clappo wrote:
sfd wrote:
Pardon? Are they one of the most underestimated syntths because they have athousands of presets?

sfd wrote:
Rappo Clappo wrote:
sfd wrote:
Pardon? Are they one of the most underestimated syntths because they have athousands of presets?
Please don't feed the troll.

I feel Art Vera and Kristy Roland don't get enough love for their efforts.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

ccDuckett wrote:I feel Art Vera and Kirsty Roland don't get enough love for their efforts.
Good call! Well and truly underestimated. I really like Vera's sound design too.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:
ccDuckett wrote:I feel Art Vera and Kirsty Roland don't get enough love for their efforts.
Good call! Well and truly underestimated. I really like Vera's sound design too.
Exact. And in addition her plugins are beautiful to make "Ambient" music as we talk currently in another thread. I find only one drawback to her plugins (but it is off topic) it is the price that I find definitely too high.

Return to “Instruments”