The most underestimated synths...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sjm wrote:
jancivil wrote:
sjm wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:My typing "IS" organized and if I intend for it to be music, then, I contend that it "IS" music, but if I don't, then it isn't?
Yeah, that's my difficulty with intent. At some point it encourages people to be pretentious artwankers and do things like put a chair in a room and call it an installation.
So, then, your opinion of their behavior or even personality type makes you mistrustful of their intent, hence probably not music?
sjm wrote:Heck, I think even if you tapped a 4/4 beat, most people wouldn't think it was really music. But why?
So for you the mere 4/4 beat is closer to music than the rhythmic typing, organized as it is albeit not purely a known musical type of organization?

[continued extensive content-rich quote, why, who the f**k knows, witness is unresponsive]
Glad to see I am now the KVR equivalent of the man on the Clapham omnibus by general consensus.

Does this make me KVR's official voice of reason?
Sure, if you say so. Hypothetical average by general consensus. Fine, I sez. What you said stands for mediocre? Here's your badge.

Reaktor Prizm
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Linplug Spectral, easily.

It's one of those synths that suffers because of bad presets. And because you really have to dig to make use of its capabilities -- it's not like Diva, where you can turn one knob and get a good result. Spectral is NOT an instant gratification synth.

It may have the best FM/AM/RM/filter modulation available, IMO, at least as far as implementation goes -- I'm sure you can find some mad-scientist project out there that does more (but is comparatively unusable...). Then the ability to additively design and crossfade between your own custom waveforms, design your own filter curves... very powerful. And if you don't want to deal with the complexity, you can treat it as a subtractive synth.

It's a synth for people who really like to tinker and get crazy, utterly unique results. It's a one-of-a-kind synth, it sounds fantastic, and despite the complexity, the design is as ergonomic and deceptively simple as possible -- very mature design.

The only thing I wish it had that it does not is MSEGs -- of course, you can use the arp/sequencer as a modulation source...but that's not quite the same as an MSEG.

KBSoundSmith wrote:Linplug Spectral, easily.

It's one of those synths that suffers because of bad presets. And because you really have to dig to make use of its capabilities -- it's not like Diva, where you can turn one knob and get a good result. Spectral is NOT an instant gratification synth.

It may have the best FM/AM/RM/filter modulation available, IMO, at least as far as implementation goes -- I'm sure you can find some mad-scientist project out there that does more (but is comparatively unusable...). Then the ability to additively design and crossfade between your own custom waveforms, design your own filter curves... very powerful. And if you don't want to deal with the complexity, you can treat it as a subtractive synth.

It's a synth for people who really like to tinker and get crazy, utterly unique results. It's a one-of-a-kind synth, it sounds fantastic, and despite the complexity, the design is as ergonomic and deceptively simple as possible -- very mature design.

The only thing I wish it had that it does not is MSEGs -- of course, you can use the arp/sequencer as a modulation source...but that's not quite the same as an MSEG.
Yes, very cool and mostly overlooked synth.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ew-patches

wagtunes wrote:
Spam

kurodo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Spam
Already been through this fellow. Mods say it's okay. So go tell it to somebody who cares.

wagtunes wrote:
kurodo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Spam
Already been through this fellow. Mods say it's okay. So go to it to somebody who cares.
Mods also say you are treading a fine line with some of your posts.
Anyways what the hell are you doing reading my posts, by all accounts you blocked me.
Please let it be that way.

kurodo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
kurodo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Spam
Already been through this fellow. Mods say it's okay. So go to it to somebody who cares.
Mods also say you are treading a fine line with some of your posts.
Anyways what the hell are you doing reading my posts, by all accounts you blocked me.
Please let it be that way.
Works both ways. Don't label my posts spam when they're not.

You start trouble, I'm going to respond.

There was nothing wrong with the post I made and has nothing to do with whatever fine line you're talking about.

My yelling at members? I apologized for that. This is something else and is irrelevant to that conversation.

Again, if you don't like that I posted a Soundcloud link go file a complaint. And then we can have ALL the Soundcloud links removed from this forum, starting with the Falcon, Avenger and Rapid threads that are littered with them.

It's one of those synths that suffers because of bad presets.
There are some good third party ones - Simon Stockhausen's for example, also the Arksun/Bigtone and Ian Boddy banks from their site are excellent.

aMUSEd wrote:

It's one of those synths that suffers because of bad presets.
There are some good third party ones - Simon Stockhausen's for example, also the Arksun/Bigtone and Ian Boddy banks from their site are excellent.
All of Simon's stuff is excellent. The guy's a mad genius. Check out the amount of time and effort he put into his HALion and Falcon libraries. He is absolutely one of the best out there.

Your post was Spam plain and simple. Transparent as they come. Not that you would ever care as long as you stay within rules and regulations.
Checkout the KBSoundSmith post which you responded to. It was well thought out, a good few paragraphs which I agree with.
Yet your post made no effort other than to sell your Soundsets.
Ever heard of Soundware Wags? :)

I rightly called you into to question but unlike you I won't bother the mods, they have far better things to do than wipe your arse every 5 mins. :D

kurodo wrote:Your post was Spam plain and simple. Transparent as they come. Not that you would ever care as long as you stay within rules and regulations.
Checkout the KBSoundSmith post which you responded to. It was well thought out, a good few paragraphs which I agree with.
Yet your post made no effort other than to sell your Soundsets.
Ever heard of Soundware Wags? :)

I rightly called you into to question but unlike you I won't bother the mods, they have far better things to do than wipe your arse every 5 mins. :D
Says you. But not according to the rules of this forum. Therefor, not spam.

You can call a duck a chicken all you want. It still doesn't make it a chicken.

Check out the Falcon thread sometime.

You keep referring to the Falcon thread, over and over as some kind of get out of jail free card.
Like I said you hide behind rules and regulations.

kurodo wrote:You keep referring to the Falcon thread, over and over as some kind of get out of jail free card.
Like I said you hide behind rules and regulations.
Um, I think you mean I follow rules and regulations.

You know what? I am all for having a new forum rule banning all Soundcloud links with the exception of the OSC threads and the Soundware forum. Absolutely. Get rid of 'em all.

But as long as they are allowed, I am entitled to the same privileges as all the other members here.

That is called following the rules. Not hiding behind them.

Oddity 2.... it's not discussed in the breathless tones people reserve for Diva and other (very deserving!) synths, but it absolutely should be!

I'd rank it up there with the U-he synths in terms of 'best analog emulations' in the soft-synth market. GForce in general is fantastic, but I think Oddity2 might be their best product so far.

-M

Return to “Instruments”