Edirol HQ Orchestral (Looking for it, please help)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for Edirol Orchestral, as the topic suggests. It would seem that it is becoming abandonware. Know of anywhere I can buy it at a reasonable price? Maybe you have a copy to sell?

Thanks for reading.

I've had it for seven years and I still use it occaisionally. Back in 2002, it was not cheap, if I remember. I think that it was like $400.USD back then. I imagine that there are new copies on some music store shelves around the world. I checked Edirol, Roland and even Cakewalk sites without any luck. Good luck, I hope that you can find one at a good price.

MrGrunge wrote:I'm looking for Edirol Orchestral, as the topic suggests. It would seem that it is becoming abandonware. Know of anywhere I can buy it at a reasonable price? Maybe you have a copy to sell?

Thanks for reading.
Surely you should take a look at Synful or a rompler(sample based) orchestra

Honestly, for simple, playable fat strings and quick orchestral arrangements, I think this can't be beaten. I have Garritan and EWQL and still find that it's far easier to doodle in Edirol than anything else.

The fact that the arrangements don't save out automatically (unlike every other VST in Christendom) is very irksome.

It's also *still* expensive.
Anger is a sublimated desire for control.

Madrayken wrote:Honestly, for simple, playable fat strings and quick orchestral arrangements, I think this can't be beaten. I have Garritan and EWQL and still find that it's far easier to doodle in Edirol than anything else.

The fact that the arrangements don't save out automatically (unlike every other VST in Christendom) is very irksome.

It's also *still* expensive.
maybe dv247 will have a copy, sure I've seen some edirol vst's on their, for doodling I use a corner of a newspaper or an old envelope :hihi:

I've been using it for doing orchestral sketches for years and it really is an amazing sounding product for such a tiny footprint, and its only drawback at such a tiny size is the already mentioned non-saving patch selections (what kind of an idiot programmer came up with that???). All the other entry level orchestral libraries load too slow and feel too clunky in comparison to Edirol HQ Orchestral. I wonder why they didn't just lower the price, update the patch save, and keep selling it?

Haven't seen the Edirol orch for awhile, but if you have a SF2 player, the classic Proteus 2 orchestral Soundfont is a bargain:

http://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/soun ... cts_id/209

JD

breakmixer wrote:Surely you should take a look at Synful
Er... no. It's as expensive as Edirol HQ orchestra was back in the day and the only advantage is the violin in my opinion. The rest just sounds way too cheap.

And HQ Orchestra is also a sample based rompler already - however a very optimized one.

I'd try to grab a copy at the official EDIROL store, but I fear it's still 200bucks. At least last time I checked.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Lunatique wrote:I've been using it for doing orchestral sketches for years and it really is an amazing sounding product for such a tiny footprint, and its only drawback at such a tiny size is the already mentioned non-saving patch selections (what kind of an idiot programmer came up with that???). All the other entry level orchestral libraries load too slow and feel too clunky in comparison to Edirol HQ Orchestral. I wonder why they didn't just lower the price, update the patch save, and keep selling it?
Because that makes too much sense.

I tried Synful. It was fun to play with but I wasn't too fond of it. I love the Cello on Orchestral and a few others which is why I'd like to find it.

I remember seeing it all over for $365 for years on end, even up until a year ago when I took another break. Now I can't find it anywhere.

Any other suggestions would be much welcomed. I plan on buying MusicLab's Real Guitar (used it years ago) unless there's a better sounding set out there.

Better sounding - maybe. As simple usable as RealGuitar... IMO not really.

Since it got updated with a proper MIDI Output mode, it's nearly unbeatable for controlling whatever the heck you feel like. In my case, I control Pettinhouse's Guitars with RealStrat if the strat sound is too thin for my purposes. In terms of acoustic guitar, I pretty much use nothing else than RealGuitar. With proper EQ and compression, you get more than awesome results.

What I loved on HQ Orchestra was the woodwind section. Especially the Oboe and the flute. Else you needed a lot of automation to let the strings sound more alive. Still for "only" 150MB (roughly) it was an outstanding product. Something that other products with 2GB+ in terms of size clearly lack. Nowadays I tend to layer Siedlaczek Orchestra with the VSL Opus 1 from Kontakt 2/3 (bundled soundlibrary) and maybe even my E-MU Virtuoso 2000 for the Percussion section. BTW: the E-MU and Edirol HQ Orchestra found their sample roots from Siedlaczek if I'm not totally mistaken here. Long time ago that I asked the developers...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Madrayken wrote:>snip< The fact that the arrangements don't save out automatically (unlike every other VST in Christendom) is very irksome. >snip<
it's so unbelievable ingnorant that edirol still, after all that time, did not hesitate to fix this ...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Compyfox wrote:BTW: the E-MU and Edirol HQ Orchestra found their sample roots from Siedlaczek if I'm not totally mistaken here. Long time ago that I asked the developers...
AFAIK, Edirol's are rooted in the legendary Roland orchestral sounds. I don't know of Roland licensed theirs from Siedlaczek or if they were designed by their own people (perhaps Eric Persings).

Well, I e-mailed Edirol. Seems I was out of the loop concerning a few things, but here's how the conversation went.

Roland Response: "You are correct - the Edirol HQ Orchestral software is no longer available and we currently have no replacement for this product. You may want to check out a product called [snip - huge Cakewalk plug]"

Me: "Does that mean Edirol Orchestral is no longer supported as well?"

Roland Response: "Yes, at this point Edirol is not making any of the Virtual Sound Canvas, Hypercanvas, or Orchestral software products. It is possible they will manufacture more in the future, but since Roland acquired Cakewalk at the beginning of this year, it is more likely they (Cakewalk) will be producing any further software products for us."

I was looking for a "We no longer support X products" but instead they told me they no longer manufacture X products. It's an interesting foot-in-the-door reponse, but like everyone has said, it's discontinued. I did all but ask "Is it abandonware?" haha. :D

Return to “Instruments”