XIls Lab PolyKB Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PolyKB PolyKB II Player

I really like the sound! Damnnn.. I was hoping that it wouldn't sound so good, now I have to buy this :P

nexusdawn wrote: As for some of the perhaps less appreciative comments you may be getting, always remember this is just kvr.
..where, just like the rest of the world, people have diff opinions :wink:

Kriminal wrote:
nexusdawn wrote: As for some of the perhaps less appreciative comments you may be getting, always remember this is just kvr.
So true, just as I stated mine without the incessant urge to emphasis that everybody obviously has their own opinion.

The meaning of life? Just as subjective as our opinions.

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else." -The first rule of fight club....

Your thoughts?

nexusdawn wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
So true, just as I stated mine without the incessant urge to emphasis that everybody obviously has their own opinion.

The meaning of life? Just as subjective as our opinions.

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else." -The first rule of fight club....

Your thoughts?
my thoughts are on the other page, i didnt feel the need to express them via a quote from a movie.

Kriminal wrote:
my thoughts are on the other page, i didnt feel the need to express them via a quote from a movie.
Was just trying to be as unoriginal as you with the "everyone has their own opinions" thing.

nexusdawn wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Was just trying to be as unoriginal as you with the "everyone has their own opinions" thing.
you seemed to be implying that anyone who didnt like the synth for whatever reason, their opininon didnt count...i think the dev is big enough to work out if the comments are valid or not, he doesnt need you to filter them for him

Indeed, and if I were the dev I'd be far more interested hearing about problems that users had, or issues that might put off potential buyers, than wholly positive, glowing reviews (nice though it may be to hear the latter).

I actually like the sound of PolyKB, but I agree wholeheartedly with Krim about the UI. The semi-real approach might be aesthetically pleasing to some, but the UI just isn't usable (like Krim, I can't see all of it - even at reduced width), and ergonomics should surely come way before aesthetic considerations?

Actually this thing makes me appear Ace as a zero-cpu usage synth. I had 100% cpu on one patch of two. Not a big machine here but i can run dozens plugins effortless.
Dream Audio Tools - Sample libraries http://www.dreamaudiotools.com
Archisounds - Music Website http://www.archisounds.net

Kriminal wrote:
you seemed to be implying that anyone who didnt like the synth for whatever reason, their opininon didnt count...i think the dev is big enough to work out if the comments are valid or not, he doesnt need you to filter them for him
I didn't imply any of that, it's what you read into it. Obviously my initial comment hit some kind of nerve with you. It really shouldn't.

What you said about diverse opinions seems to be more of a means to justify your own views, rather than you actually respecting the views of others and just leaving it at that. Especially when they differ from your own.

I'd try to take things less personally. Besides, the subtext of this dialog is getting a little too obvious. So just go ROAR or something, and you may feel a little better.
Last edited by nexusdawn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hakey wrote:Indeed, and if I were the dev I'd be far more interested hearing about problems that users had
Part of a constructive feedback process is also pointing out what one does like, just bitching has become all too common, and shows just how spoiled and lazy some people are.

luxth wrote:Actually this thing makes me appear Ace as a zero-cpu usage synth. I had 100% cpu on one patch of two. Not a big machine here but i can run dozens plugins effortless.
Hi Luxth,

well having programmed on both synths quite extensively, I'd say they certainly are in the same field towards Cpu eating.

But Im surprised that it made you thought of ACE as a zero CPU eating when comparing them.

I mean on the same machine some keys or pads I made with ACE will eat far more CPU than with the PolyKB. This is od course when you use full quality mode on ACE and Unisson as well of course. So for the ACE soundbanks I had to adapt patches and polyphony to a reasonable CPU mark.

Dont forget that the POlyKB, wich has no low quality mode (or draft) , therefore always works in the best quality mode :shrug:

Maybe a low/medium quality mode would be interesting to implement, if its even possible.

But well tbh for me they are in the same league regarding this.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

hakey wrote:Indeed, and if I were the dev I'd be far more interested hearing about problems that users had, or issues that might put off potential buyers, than wholly positive, glowing reviews (nice though it may be to hear the latter).
I actually like the sound of PolyKB, but I agree wholeheartedly with Krim about the UI. The semi-real approach might be aesthetically pleasing to some, but the UI just isn't usable (like Krim, I can't see all of it - even at reduced width), and ergonomics should surely come way before aesthetic considerations?
Hi Hakey,

Yes partially right in fact imho both are interesting because they point towards different directions/perceptions.

Some deal with The_Sound that comes out of the beast, and wether people did like it, or less, or ... not.

I mena back in the 70's it was more easy to play Piano or Rhodhes than an obscure monophonic MS-20 that you had to patch ! in real time on stage :) Then some people did it, and it was probably due to The_Sound that came out.

40 years later, nothing changed, the sound is always the most important part.(imho)

Then, this beeing said, the other part of the comments try to lead and indicate to the dev what could be eventually bettered in the synth. And in this case an aven smaller GUI option is the question.

Then I dont think people would find appealing any synth and would like to test it if they read a thread only filled with critics on the gui, or dongle etc

So imho I think both are usefull.

Here again a good balance, like often, seems the best thing :shrug:

LtZ
Last edited by Lotuzia on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

nexusdawn wrote:
hakey wrote:Indeed, and if I were the dev I'd be far more interested hearing about problems that users had
Part of a constructive feedback process is also pointing out what one does like, just bitching has become all too common, and shows just how spoiled and lazy some people are.
Okay, so you are implying that Kriminal's first post was mean spirited (and I guess my comments too)?

Lotuzia wrote:
luxth wrote:Actually this thing makes me appear Ace as a zero-cpu usage synth. I had 100% cpu on one patch of two. Not a big machine here but i can run dozens plugins effortless.
Hi Luxth,

well having programmed on both synths quite extensively, I'd say they certainly are in the same field towards Cpu eating.

But Im surprised that it made you thought of ACE as a zero CPU eating when comparing them.
well, that was kind of an ironic quote, mostly because i often pointed out my cpu issues with Ace. But the funny thing is that after tried Polykb i reloaded Ace demo, made some attempts with it and think i can handle it, so i'm with my mouse on the buy link actually.
Dont forget that the POlyKB, wich has no low quality mode (or draft) , therefore always works in the best quality mode :shrug:
yeah, that could really be a reason. Honestly i've been surprised as i've heard crackles coming out of patches which didnt sound like the more nightmarish hypermodulated stuff. So thats a bit scary for me.
Maybe a low/medium quality mode would be interesting to implement, if its even possible.
agree.
But well tbh for me they are in the same league regarding this.

LtZ
well, yeah, i know, i was just being ironic. But what i can tell is that after browsing a few dozens patches on Ace i just had two or three times to change it to draft to decrease cpu usage. So, from a very ruff comparison i'm more impressed by Polykb usage than Ace's one.
Dream Audio Tools - Sample libraries http://www.dreamaudiotools.com
Archisounds - Music Website http://www.archisounds.net

Hi, all -

The demo is crashing for me:
System Win7 x64
Hosts: Reaper 32-bit, wavosaur 32-bit

Crashes reaper when loading the plugin
Wavosaur only shows part of the GUI - most knobs are missing, then eventually crashes.

Any suggestions?

Return to “Instruments”