Ichiro Toda Updates Synth1 !!!!!1.12version!!!!!!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1

jobromedia wrote:it helped me translate my wishes into japanese in a matter of seconds.
Or so you think :hihi: :hihi: (ever tried translating a page from japanese to English?). But yeah, it's better than nothing and it'll spare him some time and effort :)

Mac, it seems to me like Synth1 appeals to users who enjoy exploring presets. Not being much of a preset user myself, the preset thing is not a big feature of Synth1.

As for the idea that Synth1 changes its tone outside of a certain, limited range; that's something that's been at the back of my mind since using this synth. It sounds like you're onto something there.

All of that aside, there are virtually no other VSTIs i've ever come across which use so little CPU. I'm running a Pentium 4, and Synth1 seems to hover in the 1%-2% range under Renoise 2.5.

Famisynth and Medusa seem to clock in at around 2%-3% apiece, but they're probably not at all as flexible as Synth1.

One of the only other synths i can think of which use so little CPU, is SmallQoo; but again, it lacks the ultimate flexibility of Synth1.

The latest Elek7ro (i guess that '7' is supposed to replace a letter 't') is over 10% CPU usage on the same machine. So, might Elek7ro sound good, but it's fairly cpu-intensive.

For me, the bottom line is that: 1) Yes, Synth1 seems at least a bit unpredictable when crossing large note ranges. 2) It has an incredible preset community, but that isn't so important to me, and 3) Synth1 has low CPU appetite, along with a penchant for outputting a lot of really good and diverse sounds under the 'correct' settings.

All of this adds up to make Synth1 a definite keeper in my VSTI folder.

Cordelia wrote:
scoobz wrote:Did you guys scare him off yet? :D
Well it's been 5 days, 9 pages, 23 feature requests, 9 posts about food, 4 completely random unrelated posts, and 7 insulting posts since Ichiro was last heard from. So maybe, yeah.
Let us hope that he's not replying due to the fact that he's too busy doing what he said he would be doing, synths don't upgrade themselves :roll:
With some luck, he will skip reading all that garbage...

DramaNoMore wrote:
Cordelia wrote:
scoobz wrote:Did you guys scare him off yet? :D
Well it's been 5 days, 9 pages, 23 feature requests, 9 posts about food, 4 completely random unrelated posts, and 7 insulting posts since Ichiro was last heard from. So maybe, yeah.
Let us hope that he's not replying due to the fact that he's too busy doing what he said he would be doing, synths don't upgrade themselves :roll:
With some luck, he will skip reading all that garbage...
Hogwash. You really believe Japanese coders have never poked fun and chattered
off topic among friends, family, and forums? :roll:

KVR is not the center of the universe, nor even a blip on the radar in
Oriental societies. To quote Cher from the movie Moonstruck,
'Snap out of it' :hihi:

mrblitz000 wrote:Mac, it seems to me like Synth1 appeals to users who enjoy exploring presets.
Yep, and that plus the incredibly low cpu consumption are the only two objective advantages of this synth, anything else falls into the realm of personal taste. Obviously, as far as sound is concerned the general taste goes in that direction. Mind, I've always kept synth1 in my folder and I have occasionally used it when running real low on cpu power, I just find all the raving about it unjustified. Take all the presets away, and I'm sure it'd go away, too... even if it is a very nice instrument for the power it uses.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote: Take all the presets away, and I'm sure it'd go away, too...
You could say that about any synth.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Mac of BIOnighT wrote: Take all the presets away, and I'm sure it'd go away, too...
Unfortunately, that's very, sadly true :( It's just more apparent here...

scoobz wrote:Seriously though, there's a lot of love for synth1 out there, it's been around for a long time and is still able to do many things well at a low cpu overhead.
Given that the developer is here (which is something I never thought I'd see) and a non english speaker all I'm saying is lets keep things simple. I'm not telling y'all what to do but if I was on a russian forum (for example) and didn't speak the language having to wade through 20+ pages trying to find the relevant information might put me off the task altogether.

That said ;) so there might be a possibility my gui might see the light of day?!

Yeah, I know I'm going change the knobs ;)
Amazing :!:

Teksonik wrote:
very true

a synth that boasts 1000's of presets doesnt entice me to try it (any synth, im not being specific) purely on that aspect

you can bet your ass that 80% + will be the same old shizzle or worse, and if you have to go thru that many to find a few good ones, you lose interest...

luckily i prefer to make my own, i dont know how preset browsers have the will to live after going thru banks and banks of presets....

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:Take all the presets away, and I'm sure it'd go away, too... even if it is a very nice instrument for the power it uses.
I don't think so. The preset banks show what Synth1 is capable of (there are loads of very impressive patches in there). Take the presets away and it is still the same synth capable of doing those patches.
kriminal wrote:luckily i prefer to make my own, i dont know how preset browsers have the will to live after going thru banks and banks of presets....
You are one of the composers that start a track by making your own sounds (I'm doing that sometimes as well). But there are many composers that work with soundbanks (hence the success of all the big romplers). And for those a large preset library is worth a lot. I myself tend to work from a usefull preset first and then tweak it to sit/behave better in the track and/or mix. For me Synth1 with the thousands of presets is the ultimate rompler that I can then tweak much more then a rompler because it's a full-on synthesizer.

I bet a lot of people use it this way :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:Take the presets away and it is still the same synth capable of doing those patches.
The synth is, most musicians aren't... :roll:

Feature request/suggestion:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before (had a quick skim through and doesn't appear to have been brought up) -

At the moment the only way of adding after-note-on expression to a patch is by using the modwheel to lfo amount control - it would be great if Synth1 (Synth2?) was responsive to aftertouch, and that both aftertouch and modwheel could be routed to control some of the more useful parameters eg. filter cut off, osc pitch/fm/pwm, lfo speed/amount etc.

Even better would be something like a freely assignable mod matrix that would allow the routing of variable amounts of many different control signals (lfos, env's, velocity, MW, AT, etc) to as many useful parameters as possible (pretty much everything that's got a knob).

Oh, and an LFO phase control would be nice too.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:Take the presets away and it is still the same synth capable of doing those patches.
I have to agree on that :? ... but let's not forget that to be a (good) musician you don't specifically have to be a (good) sound programmer :D

When synthesizers came onto the scene the only way to use it was by learning how to program your sounds on them. While some pianist could just sit down at his piano and start playing the darn thing. Luckily synths (both software and hardware) now come with lots of nice presets so any keyboarder can just play the thing. And people who want to program their own sounds can also still do their thing. It's a win-win situation :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:
+1
This isn't what you think.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:
So, in terms of usefulness to 'most musicians', and all other things being equal, a synth with a huge number of patches is a better synth than one with few? It seems to me that by this yardstick Synth1 is a good synth, no? :shrug:

And anyway those 8000+ patches aren't exactly going anywhere, so speculating about Synth1's merits without them is moot. One might consider them an integral part of what makes Synth1 what it is, as an extra layer of programming sitting on top of Ichiro's original creation.

Similarly, the argument that 'without the effects Synth1 would sound terrible', even if one agrees with that statement (which I don't) - so what? Without feet Usain Bolt probably wouldn't be that good at running, but he's got feet, so it's not really an issue.

Return to “Instruments”