One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

crimsonwarlock wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm Just came across the news that Atlantis has gone 64bit, and subsequently found out that there has never been an OSC for Atlantis while back in the day it was one of the more popular free options....
WOW! I was waiting this for ages!

I would like to suggest this free plugin: "Marazmator"

cool

574X wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:15 pm As one of the more abrasive entrants I might as well chime in.

Yeah the main point is that it's important to mix and master to a couple references.
Often I don't make enough time to do this.

Personally I wouldn't even mind dq for a bad entry. I've dq'd myself in that case, and didn't even post my work. In this case, I was experimenting with using Limiter No6 for distortion.
But I leave all my failures public. Ironically, I have nothing to hide.
https://soundcloud.com/574x/574x-the-ma ... -kvrosc-92

Quiet tracks are fine and you can plainly see the waveform on the louder tracks. Adjust your volume. This immense power is in your hands.

I actually only came by to say that it appears astonishingly that geocities is dead, and with it apparently went the classic Synth1 page. Sad.
I'm personally enjoying this work. Also I'd like to say that I have done some wildly compressed things for specific artistic reasons, not to "sound louder" than everyone else, but to convey an emotion of oppression (as in kIHl AOl hyUWmAEnz https://soundcloud.com/gorgorgathgorgor ... r-kihl-aol). Some leeway should be given for this sort of expression. Of course in the end, if it sounds bad, ain't no one gonna vote for it so...

I’m tempted to try the next one, whatever the synth is.

Will be very strange (and difficult, no doubt), because I’ve never made music like this, not even purely synth music with hardware, say.

But hey, why not.

Beware, it can be addictive! :)

Argh, might have to sit this one out. Can't deal with that style, also non-resizeable.

Best of luck to all those involved.

Hello nice OSCler,

I am sorry that you could not read or hear from me for a long time.
The last months have been up and down in my private environment, with painful things that have happened :(

The decision therefore meant for me that the music has to be put back.

Therefore, please do not be surprised if I only occasionally look over to enjoy your music and the comments.
If I find time (like now on vacation), I am also happy once again to create a piece of music (if the synthesizer fits :wink:

A nice greeting from the music room
Kraftraum
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

@kraftraum -- very nice to see you!! Sorry to hear life has taken you on a wild ride. It's taken me on one, too... but all we can do is make the most of it. Music is sure a great way to do that; hope you find joy in it! :)

I have some suggestions for the next OSC
Kern, Stigma or ModulAir by Full Bucket Music.
Dexed again.
Deducktion by Dead Duck Software.
MinimogueVA
Model Pro or another Elektrostudio synth
Arppe2600VA
Yet another Synth1 challenge
Prophanity
FM4 or another GTG synth
ADHDidi (it's a crazy additive synth)
Latte
OBXD
Prodigious
OR2v (Oberheim 2-voice emulation)
OdSay
Another SQ8L challenge
Some other Full Bucket Music synths (maybe MPS)
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

MPS would be fun, the most minimal synth imaginable...

I don't know - perhaps the most minimal would be MOscillator :wink:

z.prime wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 pm @kraftraum -- very nice to see you!! Sorry to hear life has taken you on a wild ride. It's taken me on one, too... but all we can do is make the most of it. Music is sure a great way to do that; hope you find joy in it! :)
Thx man, means a lot for me! As you write: live is a wild ride, with interesting changes. And music IS a great way to relax and distract .. especially in this community :)
Have a great week
K
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:07 pm MPS would be fun, the most minimal synth imaginable...
+1 minimal and an interesting way to make a track. And i like the synth from Björn :wink:
Have a great week
K
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

I've been playing around with this idea for OSC in my head: A super-minimal synth + No restrictions on effects. Not strictly by the OSC book, but every now and then the rules have been bent for special challenges; I imagine this would be an interesting experiment to showcase the potential impact of effects on a track.

Another *not strictly by the book* idea that's crossed my mind: An OSC with a standard synth (e.g. Synth1, PG-8X, Dexed) + Piano (or any solo instrument - guitar, clarinet, bagpipes - of the competitor's choice, for that matter).

I don't really want to challenge the concept - I love the simplicity of the rules. But I think both of these might be fun if the admins ever want to do a little twist :)
Last edited by schiing on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

On motorcycle forums I often read, "It's more fun and more of a challenge to ride a slow bike fast." That's what I have liked about OSC so far, but I've only done two of them. I wonder who has done the most, and what their perspective is on variety in the criteria.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Instruments”