One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some Sample Challenge. Just use some samples. Whatevs you want. True to form.

... or instead of the OSC, the SOC... the Samples Only Challenge. Gueneon will pwn us all.

z.prime wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:25 amGueneon will pwn us all.
Hah! :D Aaw thanks, I'm not so sure about that though! Certainly I'm not the only sample head here.

If a challenge like this really starts rolling at some point, as a real sister challenge to the OSC and so on, I'd vote for an "as simple as possible" format where each month one single (same, for that month) sample is used, for all participants. Or perhaps, at most, a handful of samples. And then, preeeeetty much all audio editing, looping, bouncing, processing etc. allowed.

I know the sorts of doors those rules open up for the philosophical seekers, again, "when does a sample stop being the same sample" (what if I crop a section and then just edit it by completely drawing over it what ever I please?), but if the same kind of friendly honorary vibe is kept as in the OSC, I don't think it's that much of a problem, and the creativity it would end up showcasing would outweigh the possible grey areas (lol already beforehand) :wink:

(Personally, I wouldn't even have a problem with manual drawing over the waveform like that, haha.)

Anyway, if someone grabs this ball and it manages to become a thing, I'd be sure to enter once in a while, as time permits.

That's a great idea!
Make it happen :D .
That would make me master some tools that I'm not allowed to use in regular OSC.

Yeah... The only "hmmmmm" about something like this (that is, a separate new challenge for the OSC community) is, if it ended up cutting too big a slice out of the time people have available for challenges like this... and divided the effort/entries between challenges each month, then. Like, if this was to become a monthly thing, and people were interested enough in it, month after month, annnd someone just had time to finish one challenge tune per month, it's a "choose between challenges" situation, then. And... that's a tough one, the OSC is special and I wouldn't like to see the variety of entries suffer.

Indeed, it is difficult for me to imagine One Sample Challenge in the form of an OSC, with prizes and a separate voting page. Rather, I see an opportunity to launch such things to the people more often, for example, on the One Slack Challenge page, just to have fun, let off steam or try something new in an atmosphere of friendly rivalry. I see that we are able to agree on all the details there. Since feedback is the most important thing for most here, this in itself becomes an incentive to do something interesting! I regretted that I missed the week of "One day - one track", I was just in the "forest without Internet" at that time) We need someone to go in there sometimes and say: here's one sample, where I say "here's one sample", let's make a track with it!
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:36 pm Single Sample Challenge :tu:
By the way, there is such a parallel world of OSC - Slack. I don't promise anything, but there is something to see! :hihi:
one-synth-challenge.slack.com

Btw, I've always wondered, why Slack and not Discord? :) Imo the latter is so much more natural fit for online communities like this, and it seems to be the place where the rest of the familiar "audio world" resides when wanting to engage in a more realtime communication format like that. (I mean, the Surge and Resonic dev bunch and general hangouts are there, different DAWs have their user groups there - some have multiple ones - and a multitude of sound/music production groups, smaller scale friend groups from different contexts, gaming, and and...) And all this in a less corporate oriented package, haha.

Personally, being so familiar with Slack during the day when working in different projects, Discord feels like the free time equivalent to me. This is why I have never gotten around to joining the OSC Slack, but wouldn't think twice clicking on a join link for an OSC Discord :D

Guenon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:45 pm Btw, I've always wondered, why Slack and not Discord?... wouldn't think twice clicking on a join link for an OSC Discord :D
No particular reason. Although at the time, it was easy to drag an audio file to Slack and share it... but I think that works in Discord now, too, so might switch due to Slack's free deficiencies.

z.prime wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:00 pm No particular reason. Although at the time, it was easy to drag an audio file to Slack and share it... but I think that works in Discord now, too, so might switch due to Slack's free deficiencies.
Yeah. I figured it was probably for historical reasons like this. Discord is the de facto place for that kind of stuff nowadays :) .. like, audio people spontaneously sharing clips and discussing it in realtime in those relevant groups, and whatnot.

But yeah, for me, the thing is, if one has so much actual work/corporate/yadayada stuff located in Slack, and persistent logins, it just feels weird going online there in the evenings and show online in all those contexts as well (either that, or one has to manage the login status of a bunch of stuff if wanting to keep those contexts separate). I guess making a completely separate personal account for all the enthusiast stuff is an option, but... mehh... it still has that corp vibe, haha. All of this is quite subjective, of course.

Guenon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:13 pm... Discord ....
Let me rephrase: if there's the possibility of getting Guenon on the chat, will switch immediately! :D

z.prime wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:17 pm
Let me rephrase: if there's the possibility of getting Guenon on the chat, will switch immediately! :D
https://discord.gg/8Xx8vfcC

HAH! You're too kind :D

Fwiw, I usually hang out on Discord almost daily, at least for a little while, so... Yeah.

:P

z.prime wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:19 pm
z.prime wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:17 pm
https://discord.gg/8Xx8vfcC
I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer
What did they look like? Ships? Motorcycles?
Were the circuits like freeways?
I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see.
And then, one day... I got in...

(Tron 2 main intro theme sounds) :phones:

Hey can u guys add support for Whyp, Audius and Audiomack?
Soundcloud isn't enough.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:36 pm Single Sample Challenge :tu:
I wouldn't be opposed to a single sample challenge for one month of the OSC even. could be way fun. Also I have no experience with samples, so it would be a singular challenge for me.

Return to “Instruments”