PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
21215 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:36 am

True that.

Anyways, moving on to the topic of this thread. I'd definitely love it if author of this excellent sounding plugin thinks about implementing a sort of "Advanced" mode, to be switched from the spot-on emulation mode it is currently in. Advanced mode would be:

* 12 note polyphony
* individually adjustable pitch bend up and down amount (0 to 12 semitones, plus inversion)
* added PWM waveforms
* white/pink noise selection
* continuous HPF instead of just 4 settings
* more LFOs instead of just one
etc.

Of course, sysex import wouldn't work 100% with this advanced mode, but... :)

fmr
KVRAF
9896 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 am

lionscub68 wrote:Waiting, Martin!
:)

BTW Let me know when you have a beta Mac VST version.
I will be doing a seminar at Electro-Music 2013 Festival on Sept 6 with the topic:
Comparison of Hardware vs Software versions of Synths

Roland JX8P vs PG8X
Novation V-Station vs K-Station
Access Virus B vs Virus TDM (maybe)
Roland Alpha Juno-1 vs (a few available options out there)
Roland Juno-106 vs Juno 60 (if I have one available at the seminar)
Yamaha DX line vs NI FM8

etc

But I'll need to use a more stable setup on a Mac than using the SM-Pro VMachine to demonstrate in a host, like Ableton Live. I might have to borrow a PC laptop. :)

or it would be easier to use a Mac plugin. :)
Maybe add TAL U-NO-LX vs Juno-60
Fernando (FMR)

KVRian

Topic Starter

949 posts since 27 Jun, 2009 from Germany

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:43 am

EvilDragon wrote:True that.

Anyways, moving on to the topic of this thread. I'd definitely love it if author of this excellent sounding plugin thinks about implementing a sort of "Advanced" mode, to be switched from the spot-on emulation mode it is currently in. Advanced mode would be:

* 12 note polyphony
* individually adjustable pitch bend up and down amount (0 to 12 semitones, plus inversion)
* added PWM waveforms
etc.

In fact, these are more or less my plans for an extended version. But first I want to get the pg8x out on pc and mac platforms. Once this works the modifications and additions will be easy, as all components are already in place.

Cheers,
Martin

KVRAF
21215 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 am

Great news and thanks for your response, Martin! :tu:

KVRAF
4800 posts since 6 May, 2002

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:15 am

Those plans sound good, because increased polyphony and extra LFO options do not break faithfulness to the synth when left at their default values. Its important for a synth emulation to be faithful to all the original parameter ranges and operating modes, then only add extra features very carefully and selectively.

One thing that would help you fine tune the synthesis engine would be the ability to generate JX-8P.syx rather than just reading it.
martin_l wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:True that.

* 12 note polyphony
* added PWM waveforms
etc.

In fact, these are more or less my plans for an extended version. But first I want to get the pg8x out on pc and mac platforms. Once this works the modifications and additions will be easy, as all components are already in place.

Cheers,
Martin
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

KVRian
1211 posts since 30 Apr, 2004 from Louisville, KY

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:13 am

EvilDragon wrote:Great news and thanks for your response, Martin! :tu:
I agree. It is good to see Mr. Luders' (Lueders') again turning his attention to PG-8x's further development.
바보

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:20 pm

As already discussed in this thread, and on my Facebook page, I am currently working on the native version of the pg8x. I switched to WDL-OL as this should allow me to develop simultaneously for WIN(32/64), MAC(32/64) and VST2/VST3 and AU (on MAC).

Before I embark on putting everything together, I make a small plugin (the chorus with editable parameters), which I compiled for all the above architectures.

It would be great, if some of you could try them on various machines and DAWs and let me know whether they work, or whether there are any problems.

This little chorus plugin is not polished and the GUI is just put together quickly.
Here are the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m636vgxhta9e ... /JX-Chorus

The respective plugins are in the corresponding directories. Note that the MAC plugins are 'fat' binaries, containing both the x86 and x64 code.

Looking forward to your feedback, so that I can start assembling the real thing...

Cheers,
Martin

KVRian
725 posts since 30 May, 2007 from Syracuse, NY, USA

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Testing out the Mac AU & 32-bit VST now.

KVRAF
14863 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Very nice Chorus Martin ! Thanks so much. :)

I tried the Win 32 bit version in Orion and it works perfectly so far......... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRian
1475 posts since 18 Feb, 2005 from Serbia

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Win 8.1 x64, working fine in Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio.

I get a clicking sound when quickly moving depth and mix sliders. Speed slider doesn't suffer from it.
I guess it wasn't meant for that kind of abuse, but I thought it was worth a mention.
It's easy if you know how

KVRian

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Bad news:
Does not work on a Mac using my setup:
MacBook Pro 17" (2009) running OSX 10.9.2
Ableton Live 9.1.x (32-bit mode) does not show any of the three version (AU, VST2.4, VST3)
Opening an audio editor I have that usees plugins (Amadeus Pro) I get this message:
(see screenshot)
Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 9.53.16 PM.jpg
I didn't try Logic Pro 9 or any other host. Generally if I can't see a plugin by these two apps, I won't see the plugins anywhere else.
You are compiling it for Intel processors, yes? (Not Legacy/PowerPC)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:48 pm

lesha wrote:Win 8.1 x64, working fine in Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio.

I get a clicking sound when quickly moving depth and mix sliders. Speed slider doesn't suffer from it.
I guess it wasn't meant for that kind of abuse, but I thought it was worth a mention.
Thanks for that. The clicks are because I have not yet implemented parameter smoothing. So far, I just want to see whether the setup itself is working on various hosts (and it does not, as it seems...) :-(

Did you manage to test the VST3 ones?

Cheers,
Martin

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 pm

lionscub68 wrote:Bad news:
Ableton Live 9.1.x (32-bit mode) does not show any of the three version (AU, VST2.4, VST3)
Opening an audio editor I have that usees plugins (Amadeus Pro) I get this message:

I didn't try Logic Pro 9 or any other host. Generally if I can't see a plugin by these two apps, I won't see the plugins anywhere else.
Thanks very much. That is interesting...

I am building with XCode4.5 and for x86_64. I selected 10.5 as target system and use the 10.6 sdk. If that breaks it on 10.9, I will try to change that to a 10.6 target.

I myself am running a 10.7 MacBook Pro 64 bit, and the AU and VST2 are showing up and running in Reaper(32 and 64).

Cheers,
Martin

KVRian
1475 posts since 18 Feb, 2005 from Serbia

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 am

martin_l wrote:Thanks for that. The clicks are because I have not yet implemented parameter smoothing. So far, I just want to see whether the setup itself is working on various hosts (and it does not, as it seems...) :-(

Did you manage to test the VST3 ones?
No, my hosts do not support VST3. Tried x64 VST2 in Bitwig and it's working the same as VST2.4
It's easy if you know how

KVRian

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:21 am

martin_l wrote:
lionscub68 wrote:Bad news:

Thanks very much. That is interesting...

I am building with XCode4.5 and for x86_64. I selected 10.5 as target system and use the 10.6 sdk. If that breaks it on 10.9, I will try to change that to a 10.6 target.

I myself am running a 10.7 MacBook Pro 64 bit, and the AU and VST2 are showing up and running in Reaper(32 and 64).

Cheers,
Martin
By definition, 10.9 is completely 64-bit, there's no 32-bit code left.
But I do run Ableton Live at 32-bit as it's recommended in order to continue using older plugins that haven't (or will never) make the leap from 32-64.

Yeah, definitely assemble it for 10.6 and up.

Return to “Instruments”