Tone2 Gladiator2 - Sound with a watermark?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiobot202 wrote:
mbncp wrote:
GeorgeZ wrote:....of course it's legal. If you mess with the file structure and it craps itself, you can hardly blame the dev and call foul on their whole operation because your system decides to go belly up due to your actions :| I get what you're saying mbncp, however, your assumption, or shall I say perspective on the matter, is a bit so so it seems... pre-tainted if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure comes across that way.

Regardless, 4damind, I don't get anything out of persuading you to at least give the T2 stuff a fair go or to buy them, so I won't try, however, I will say this: You might find it useful to take the clap trap that's thrown around here as the gospel opinion with a pinch of salt. A lot of people on KVR are in love with the bandwagon (btw, not referring to you mbncp ;) just saying in general)...
So, if I get you right, any app that sees that some files are missing, should automatically shutdown your window session without letting you save any of your work ?

Just for the fun I'm very tempted to launch a legal action against tone2.
That's one of the good thing about being awfully wealthy and totally bored by life :hihi:
No. I would suggest that it is Explorer or the host you were using at the time that had a fit and shut down your sessions, not the plugin. You are attributing too much power to one plugin. If you move critical files around for any program (try it for something else for example), you will likely find that Windows has fits. Gladiator needs certain files to operate properly. If you move those files and it does not find them, it will not be happy. Not the fault of Tone2 if you mess around with your files now is it?
There is a lot of clap trap around here. Tone2 make very good sounding plugins. I personally find Electrax to be too buggy (which is a shame), but I use Gladiator a lot.

That a plug crashes your host because of some missing files is one thing, but shutting down your pc is another one.
The only reason this happens is because tone2 are so putainement paranoid, that's all.
If this would append with any app/plug it would be a dream for hackers, just delete a file or two and your pc would turn off after less than a minute.
The only good part about it would be that we would need much less power plants. :love:

mbncp wrote: So, if I get you right, any app that sees that some files are missing, should automatically shutdown your window session without letting you save any of your work ?
I'm not sure what happened but I can assure you that it's not Gladiator that reboots the system here, why would it when we know that people move around files all the time.
If Gladiator can not find its datafiles it will mention this during startup nothing more and nothing less - what use would it have to crash or even reboot after this.

Bastiaan from Tone2.com wrote:
mbncp wrote: So, if I get you right, any app that sees that some files are missing, should automatically shutdown your window session without letting you save any of your work ?
I'm not sure what happened but I can assure you that it's not Gladiator that reboots the system here, why would it when we know that people move around files all the time.
If Gladiator can not find its datafiles it will mention this during startup nothing more and nothing less - what use would it have to crash or even reboot after this.
Yup, when I owned Gladiator it would only ask for files if, for whatever reason, I'd moved them.

Before bad-mouthing the devs publicly did the OP contact Tone2 for support? :smack:
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Bastiaan from Tone2.com wrote:
Except pissing off legid user I don't know :wink:

I just tried this 2-3 times with 2 different host and that's what append.
It's maybe some bug I don't know, but once I close the different message boxes from gladiator and switch to another app, winxp shuts down.
And beside that situation I NEVER experienced such behavior on my machine.

To be fair I have to say that this was after installing jbridge which is a bit a pain as some plugs want their data in the dll folder while others want them in a given location. But gladiator is the only plug were this append, that's why I think I'm eligible to have some suspicion here.
And trust me, seeing windows shutting down when you didn't ask for it, is pretty spooky.

Understandable, though as mentioned it wouldn't make sense for us to reboot after we've just told users that files are missing or at any time for that matter.
You can contact support for this but if the solution to it (bug or no bug in one of the used programs) is keeping file/folder structure intact it's probably best to do just that, I know that so far we haven't been able to reproduce the problem or had any reports about it.

"Warez users deserve it, Tone2 need to protect their product, it's all justified...

VS

Professional companies shouldn't treat their customers this way, it's unethical, etc etc"

Who's first?
"What embecile composed this list :/"

DELETED

Oh... I thought they are only a bit paranoid because of the crippled demo and the opening of the tone2 web page and the embedded watermark in the full version. But it seems this is only a part of the complete story :?

DELETED

4damind wrote:I'm looking this time for some additional synth falling in the category "virtual analog".
Check out Poly-Ana and impOSCar ... two of the best sounding VA's around imho.

(Slightly OT, please forgive me if I've bothered you.)

It's sad how often this copy issue comes up with Tone2 products. I empathize with Tone2's plight of investing so much work in something only to see people download cracks days later. You can argue that some people never really use it, or some people can't afford it or whatever. That doesn't change the blow to their morale watching their hard work being abused.

With that said I have to be honest that I'm wary of using Tone2 products because I don't want my PC to be the front line in a war between two camps, the developers and the crackers. Like all front lines there are often casualties and "Friendly fire" incidents. I don't know if I can trust the groups about how far reaching Gladiator is with your Windows machine as I haven't tried it myself (wasn't my cup of tea). I will say just reading the demo restrictions on the downloads is enough for me to avoid them. It's really, really hard to get a feel for a product that opens up web pages, a robotic voice countdown to 10 minutes, then it shuts itself down. For me learning a new synth takes a lot of time and having someone telling me "8 minutes remaining" is downright annoying and pulls me out of the moment. But I guess to some it might not be as annoying. Maybe users that just demo presets are only a bit irritated when it happens, I don't really know and I can only speak about my personal preferences.

If you're looking for a good VA (imo) check out Zebra2. The demo restriction is really tame, notes start to wander after about 15 minutes. I also think the 2.5 filters really added some oomph, especially the reworked XMF filter types. I've also been eying Cypher with it's sexy FM modulation abilities. Maybe that's the next demo I'll download...

(and now back to your regularly-scheduled KVR)

michi_mak wrote:what's the other part of the story? some weirdoz citing software pirates about the evil of legit developers?
It's not far away from computer sabotage if all this is true and as I know in many countries this is criminal.

The short time I had with testing because the "time bomb" opens the web page and muted the plug-in, I can only say that electraX is a very interesting plug-in. Sounds a bit digital but nothing bad with it.
I will also test Gladiator2 but I expect that the demo will not make much fun.

But to be honest, with such restrictions (the embedded watermark and all the eventually bad things), Tone2 has moved more to the bad boys. This is not the best position if they are interested to sell plug-ins.

DELETED

michi_mak wrote:@4damind : are you looking for good sounding soft synths or for politically correct made software??? did you witness any hacking while trying ElectraX ???
Are your working for Tone2 ;)
This has nothing to do with politically correctness. All stuff around the copy protection, demo limitation etc. is of course for many users a big argument.

Would you buy a graphic software if you know that it will install a root-kit, embed some hidden data in your images so the company is able to say which documents are from you, transmitting data back to the company and sometimes reboots your system?

4damind wrote:<snip>the embedded watermark and all the eventually bad things
What the heck is this talk of an embedded watermark? What does it even mean? That came out of nowhere in the original post and now it's being stated as fact?...this is how crap like this gets started.

As for Team (Lack of) Air (to the Brain), why do people trust teams who produce cracked software to tell the truth? They already illegally provide software cracks...what would it matter them if they made up a story about Tone2 just to hurt their sales?

Has the world gone mad?!?!?

:D

Return to “Instruments”