Why no love for Virsyn?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
9940 posts since 2 Jan, 2005 from somewhere in the woods

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:55 am

ChiTown24 wrote:
topaz wrote:I loved Tera but I dont agree with Virsyn's business model of leaving major bugs in products then charging 80+ Euros for bug fixes.
so imo great products, poor relations,.
I couldnt agree more with you!!!
But I do still use my virsyn software despite this
+1

i'd love to get some of their effects too, but compared to Uhbiks they are too pricey. :?
"It dreamed itself along"

KVRAF

Topic Starter

10914 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:25 pm

mellotronaut wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
topaz wrote:I loved Tera but I dont agree with Virsyn's business model of leaving major bugs in products then charging 80+ Euros for bug fixes.
+1

i'd love to get some of their effects too, but compared to Uhbiks they are too pricey. :?
It's true Urs prices things to SELL. IMO, he priced the Uhbik set way too low compared to it's quality level and feature set. Of course, it's part of the reason why we talk about Uhbiks and Divas and Zebras all the time here and Virsyn stuff nearly never.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRAF
9940 posts since 2 Jan, 2005 from somewhere in the woods

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:32 pm

true
"It dreamed itself along"

KVRian
838 posts since 21 Jan, 2006 from Athens, Greece

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:38 pm

zerocrossing wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
+1

It's true Urs prices things to SELL. IMO, he priced the Uhbik set way too low compared to it's quality level and feature set. Of course, it's part of the reason why we talk about Uhbiks and Divas and Zebras all the time here and Virsyn stuff nearly never.
Oh really? Because I thought that the reason we talk about Urs and Voxengo and Melda and IK and Rob Papen is because of the strong developers precence in this site some of them reaching the levels of spam (and I am totally NOT referring to Urs in the last part of my sentence).

Also Virsyn has frequent sales as well that matches your "priced to sell" at least as good as the $199 + VAT for Zebra IMO.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

10914 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm

ZINO wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
+1

Oh really? Because I thought that the reason we talk about Urs and Voxengo and Melda and IK and Rob Papen is because of the strong developers precence in this site some of them reaching the levels of spam (and I am totally NOT referring to Urs in the last part of my sentence).

Also Virsyn has frequent sales as well that matches your "priced to sell" at least as good as the $199 + VAT for Zebra IMO.
Yeah, it helps to have a presence, but we often talk about about Native Instruments stuff and they're never here in any way (though I miss that guy... what was his name?) We talk about Waves... we talk about a lot of devs that aren't here in any way.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRian
838 posts since 21 Jan, 2006 from Athens, Greece

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:58 pm

zerocrossing wrote:
Yeah, it helps to have a presence, but we often talk about about Native Instruments stuff and they're never here in any way (though I miss that guy... what was his name?) We talk about Waves... we talk about a lot of devs that aren't here in any way.
Waves universe count I think (we weren't talking so much about Waves either a couple of years ago), and Waves and NI are giants (and also had ew)... :P

KVRist
124 posts since 28 May, 2004

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Just to tell, i'm saling Tera 2 & Cube 1 in the market place forum

Tera 2: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 91#4861991

Cube 1: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 35#4861635

KVRAF
6143 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:10 pm

I personally have Cube & Tera. While both sound excellent, they're somewhat unreliable and the GUIs aren't so accessible. There are no 64-bit versions and there have been no updates in ages. The developer has stated on forums that he has no interest in them because of piracy. Well, great, screw your existing customers then. Bad attitude, IMO. And yeah, the website is poor too.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

KVRian
530 posts since 30 Dec, 2007

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:00 pm

I still get e-mail from them. Long ago, I decided to check out Mini-Tera and I was almost tempted. It's a good synth, but I have many others to choose from, many of them freeware.

Poseidon interested me only from the review by Computer Music/Music Radar, but that was years ago. Prices of the synths are lofty as a matter of fact. And now I'd like to see if they'd ever come up with another synth, or a major upgrade to Tera or some other of their existing synths.

KVRAF
2336 posts since 13 Oct, 2002 from Terra Firma

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 pm

£140 for an effect plugin is pretty high and the prices generally have put me off buying anything Virsyn. Also why pay for dongle protection if piracy has affected sales? Lower prices and regular updates would probably generate more sales. And better designed GUI's might appeal to more people perhaps? Alchemy has a great interface which is one of the reasons why it's so popular.

KVRian
1077 posts since 6 Mar, 2004

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:14 am

I admit it, I'm a GUI whore and Virsyn plugins are all just too damn ugly :!:

KVRAF
2147 posts since 10 Mar, 2006

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:27 am

I think that Virsyn products, for the most part, are pretty good looking. No need to improve much on that front.

Their 3 problems are their non presence socially, the copy protection and charging too much. Elitism only works for a short time.

But they make rock solid products. And they should stay around, innovate into the future.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

KVRAF
1573 posts since 24 Feb, 2004

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:57 am

Jace-BeOS wrote:The developer has stated on forums that he has no interest in them because of piracy. Well, great, screw your existing customers then. Bad attitude, IMO. And yeah, the website is poor too.
That's the reason I've avoided them. Cube in particular sounded great, but with so many synths and FX out there now we can all afford to ignore devs who behave like dicks and reward those who treat their customers well - except for NI, dammit. Give me a decent alternative to Kontakt and I'd never have to give them another penny.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

KVRAF
32439 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:21 am

Jace-BeOS wrote:I personally have Cube & Tera. While both sound excellent, they're somewhat unreliable and the GUIs aren't so accessible. There are no 64-bit versions and there have been no updates in ages. The developer has stated on forums that he has no interest in them because of piracy.
Which is silly because he could easily just use the effective copy protection that the others have. And it doesn't explain the fact that Poseidon, which uses elicenser, is also virtually abandoned.

KVRian
881 posts since 31 Dec, 2008

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:53 am

I love Tera, it has one of the best randomizers I've seen, the sound is from another planet. But I don't know why I wasn't so fused about their other products every time I try the demos.

Return to “Instruments”