Why no love for Virsyn?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
32443 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 am

S0lo wrote:I love Tera, it has one of the best randomizers I've seen, the sound is from another planet. But I don't know why I wasn't so fused about their other products every time I try the demos.
Tera is pretty good - I don't see the problems with the interface (I like all their synth interfaces but not the fx), but by today's standards the filters in particular are a bit bland, although Harry did come up with some innovative filter designs. They all really need an update and 64 bit versions.

KVRist
416 posts since 16 Aug, 2002 from Ontario. Canada

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:18 am

Far, far too expensive, comparitively, especially when converted to US or Canadian $$.

KEv
www.kevinburke.ca
Check my 2012 album, "Death Be Not Obvious": iTunes / Amazon / CDbaby

KVRAF
2336 posts since 13 Oct, 2002 from Terra Firma

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:14 pm

To create the products Virsyn developed you have to be very talented but sometimes that talent doesn't transfer to design and marketing. That's where the criticisms seem to be falling.

KVRAF
4358 posts since 5 May, 2005 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Didn't Virsyn code the synths that were introduced in Cubase 4, Prologue, Mystic, and Spector? They are pretty good.

KVRAF
18752 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:51 pm

When I was looking for a good all around workhorse synth it came down to Zebra or Tera. I chose Zebra cause I liked the sound better when all effects were turned off. Now looking back I am so glad I did. Zebra has been a much more dynamic and developed synth which still has a bright future.

Virsyn makes good synths, but in a crowded market with quite a few quality synths, it seems like Virsyn has come up short in the marketing and selling and may not make it as a synth developer.

KVRAF
5554 posts since 13 Feb, 2006 from Wiesmoor, Germany

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:55 pm

pdxindy wrote:When I was looking for a good all around workhorse synth it came down to Zebra or Tera. I chose Zebra cause I liked the sound better when all effects were turned off. Now looking back I am so glad I did. Zebra has been a much more dynamic and developed synth which still has a bright future.
Exactly the same here! I tried both back in the day but it was obvious to me rather quickly that I like Zebra more.

Cheers
Dennis

KVRist
305 posts since 25 Jun, 2010

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:01 pm

I really like Cube 2 and have almost brought it a few times but the price and the fact it hasn't been updated for a long time stops me. Tera is really good and Poseidon has the potential of being fantastic but they all ned an overhaul. Unfortunately they all borrow from each other and when one is dated they are all dated. Though in saying that cube 2 has great features and if it got updated to 64 I would buy it.

KVRian
865 posts since 5 Jun, 2005

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:03 pm

tonkatodd wrote:I really like Cube 2 and have almost brought it a few times but the price and the fact it hasn't been updated for a long time stops me. Tera is really good and Poseidon has the potential of being fantastic but they all ned an overhaul. Unfortunately they all borrow from each other and when one is dated they are all dated. Though in saying that cube 2 has great features and if it got updated to 64 I would buy it.
Great points.. its kind of like Virsyn has spread itself too thin. I like the synths, but they only get developed to a fraction of their potential, like Cantor or Poseidon....

KVRist
156 posts since 27 Jul, 2008

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:44 pm

I actually like the synths Virsyn made for Cubase (Prologue, Mystic, and Spector). Most of the factory presets aren't very useful for the kind music I'm making but I've been able to get some pretty good unique (and surprisingly usable) sounds from them...

KVRAF
6143 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Just a note: my complaint about VirSyn GUIs isn't related to it being pretty or ugly. While that matters, it isn't the problem here. The problem is accessibility/usability & readability.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

KVRAF
3623 posts since 29 Jun, 2011 from USA

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:01 pm

What overhalls do they need? Looking at Cube and Poseidon they both seem to have an extensive and impressive feature list. Looks more comprehensive and innovative than many other synths I've seen in these categories.

I tried them a while ago but didn't have a clue what to do on them. I got on a little with Tera3 and was really impressed. It doesn't "break up" in the lower frequencies, the bass is really solid. I liked it a lot but in those days all I had was OP-X and I needed something more traditional I guess, like Sylenth.

I was really impressed with some of Tripplers demos. Although it doesn't sound "fat" like a lot of analog emu's do I thought over all when programmed right like in some of tripplers demos it was extremely convincing. I think I decided though that it just always seemed to have the same colour, and I didn't know how to program that well back then.

Anyway it made an impression on me which I never forgot. I will revisit Virsyns synths.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

KVRAF
1573 posts since 24 Feb, 2004

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Aiyn wrote:What overhalls do they need? I will revisit Virsyns synths.
It's super-awesome that you liked Virsyn and thats a great little story you've written but have you even read this thread?
Paid for bug-fixes, overpriced synths, multi-tabbed and cluttered GUIs, abandonware ie there'll be no AAX format = useless in Pro Tools.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

KVRAF
3623 posts since 29 Jun, 2011 from USA

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:10 pm

re_mute wrote:
Aiyn wrote:What overhalls do they need? I will revisit Virsyns synths.
It's super-awesome that you liked Virsyn and thats a great little story you've written but have you even read this thread?
Paid for bug-fixes, overpriced synths, multi-tabbed and cluttered GUIs, abandonware ie there'll be no AAX format = useless in Pro Tools.
Yes I did read about paid for bug fixes and that they are over priced but I was asking what overhauls do the synths need? It was not a rhetorical question.

As I said they seem to be very well featured already. I think the UI can be improved but I liked using Tera 3.

In my mind bug fixes are bug fixes, not overhauls and if they are too pricey that's a price restructure. It's just the way I understood the word overhaul.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

KVRist
232 posts since 20 Oct, 2011 from U.K.

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Their Summer 2013 Sale ends on 30th Sept.

I just went ahead with purchasing VirSyn Poseidon, unaware of the chatter about VirSyn's shortcomings.

The GUI worked fine for me, though it is not 'pretty' or 'modern' looking it seemed ergonomic and usable during the demo.

The eLicenser is a drag but with Steinberg etc signed up it's not going away, sadly. If I had not already been running a dongle for Cubase, this would have presented a big problem, since the demo needed the eLicense activation. A questionable arrangement they should address. I would not hold my breathe!

As for development/support, I tend to look at the existing features, what the instrument etc can do. An attitude born from the days when hardware prevailed, I suspect. Any improvements subsequently revealed are a bonus. Poseidon has been around many years, so I hope major niggles have been long since fixed. Time will tell. Major fixes being charged for... outrageous. Grounds for a refund in the real world, perhaps?

The sound was what really grabbed me though - I can not add enough adjectives and superlatives. Together with the potential for fun and games with sound that await, I could not resist taking the plunge. I feel the discounted sale price, while not cheap by any means, is reasonable.

I wonder if I will be loving VirSyn when they wheel out their next sale, which seem to be a regular feature?
Last edited by blob 59 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
6290 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Just to answer th Original Post...

Yes, it's the iLok/eLicenser/dongle that kills it.

So far, I haven't heard anything I like better than Alchemy.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

Return to “Instruments”