Why no love for Virsyn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cube Poseidon TERA

realmarco wrote:
Ameyah Audio wrote:the prices are to expensive and it feels like every moment the the company is dead and you lose your money.

i really loved TERA in the past, used naughty version as i was young.

they feel not uptodate ...
though they did release 64bit versions
Are you sure Tera 3 is 64 bit? I don't see anywhere on the site where it says that these synths are 64 or 32 or anything for that matter. Only thing it has it what OS they support.

Sometimes I think this guy just does this as a hobby because the whole operation is very poorly run.

I still have Tera 1 on a CD somewhere. One of the first synths I bought, though secondhand. I guess I fell out of love with it since I didn't reinstall it a few years ago when I got a new computer and haven't missed it since.

wagtunes wrote: Are you sure Tera 3 is 64 bit? I don't see anywhere on the site where it says that these synths are 64 or 32 or anything for that matter. Only thing it has it what OS they support.

Sometimes I think this guy just does this as a hobby because the whole operation is very poorly run.
Yes, even though it took them for a while now all Virsyn synths are 64bit.

I think it's quite evident here: http://www.virsyn.de/de/Home/home.html

Ab sofort ist die neue Version 3.5 von unserem Synthesizer TERA erhältlich:

Neu in dieser Version:
- 32/64-bit VST 2.4 und AudioUnit Plugins für Mac OS X.
- 32/64-bit VST 2.4 plugin für Microsoft Windows.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Are you sure Tera 3 is 64 bit? I don't see anywhere on the site where it says that these synths are 64 or 32 or anything for that matter. Only thing it has it what OS they support.

Yes, even though it took them for a while now all Virsyn synths are 64bit.

I think it's quite evident here: http://www.virsyn.de/de/Home/home.html

Ab sofort ist die neue Version 3.5 von unserem Synthesizer TERA erhältlich:

Neu in dieser Version:
- 32/64-bit VST 2.4 und AudioUnit Plugins für Mac OS X.
- 32/64-bit VST 2.4 plugin für Microsoft Windows.
Well then is it possible that the demo is an old 32 bit because there is stuff that flat out just doesn't work. I'm talking basic stuff like the mod matrix. It's been a long time (about 2 months or so) since I tested it but I recall on the page with the channel mix options, something to do either with FX routing or something else that when I enabled those channels there was no change. Whatever I was expecting to happen didn't happen.

Wish i could be more specific but like I said, it's been a while. All I know is when I saw this basic functionality not work I said to myself that this was a deal breaker. Something that basic should function. And the only thing I could think of was that it was a 32 bit plug that my 64 bit Cubase was not handling quite right. I have this problem with a lot of 32 bit plugs. That's why I was curious if maybe the demo was still an old 32 bit version. If not then I don't know what the problem could be.

** EDIT ** Just looked in my downloaded folder and the zip file does say TeraX64 so I have no idea what the problem is, but basic things that should work don't.

robotmonkey wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:I've demoed Tera a few times and really like it. Expensive though.
I would not say that it's that expensive at 170 eur as you do get basically 7 synths + mini tera. And it does sound really good. You can call me crazy but Virsyn synths do have kind of distinct sound I'd call the German analogue sound.
I don't think that mini tera comes with Tera (even though I think at one time it did).

wagtunes wrote:I downloaded the demo and discovered that whole functions didn't work. Wrote to company, no response.

Shame because this thing kicks ass. Amazing synth but I don't dare purchase it with all the bugs and no communication.

It's like they don't even care if they make money or not.
What didn't work? I don't own Tera, but I did have Minitera... somehow I lost it. Not sure how that happened. I remember looking into reinstalling it and I never could figure out how to find it. That is a problem. I'd expect to be able to get a few downloads of anything I own from a company.

Still, is there a resynthesis engine better sounding than Poseidon? I don't think so. Is there a better hybrid reverb than REFLECT? Not under $200. I'm sad I missed their last sale, as I looked at some tape delay effects and none came close to sounding as good as VTAPE. So... yeah, as a company they kind of suck but they do code a mean plug in.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I downloaded the demo and discovered that whole functions didn't work. Wrote to company, no response.

Shame because this thing kicks ass. Amazing synth but I don't dare purchase it with all the bugs and no communication.

It's like they don't even care if they make money or not.
What didn't work? I don't own Tera, but I did have Minitera... somehow I lost it. Not sure how that happened. I remember looking into reinstalling it and I never could figure out how to find it. That is a problem. I'd expect to be able to get a few downloads of anything I own from a company.

Still, is there a resynthesis engine better sounding than Poseidon? I don't think so. Is there a better hybrid reverb than REFLECT? Not under $200. I'm sad I missed their last sale, as I looked at some tape delay effects and none came close to sounding as good as VTAPE. So... yeah, as a company they kind of suck but they do code a mean plug in.
It's been a couple of months since I tested it but it's starting to come back to me now.

It was the last page with the synth modular mix section where you could adjust the levels of each module. On that page I think was an FX send for each one. Well, it doesn't work. Whatever I do in that section, no effect. I think I'm remembering that correctly. I really don't want to reinstall the demo to figure it out. It'll be too frustrating because like I said, it's a kick ass synth that can do so much but when main functions don't work at all, that's just unacceptable.

So Ive finally upgraded :)
(who remembers the floppy disk authorisation of v1 !)

Is the interface supposed to update when converting a patch to a profiTERA patch?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:So Ive finally upgraded :)
(who remembers the floppy disk authorisation of v1 !)

Is the interface supposed to update when converting a patch to a profiTERA patch?
So to answer my own question, (which seems to occur too often here!), yes the interface should update. Works fine in the standalone.
Also noticed some graphical glitches.

I prefer the v2 look.

Im kind of saddened as this was one of the first VST synths I bought back in the day and its sound is imprinted on my brain
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Messing around with Tera. The reverb send on your channel on the mixer page - it has to be turned up ( @wagtunes)

You love those dead topics, don't you?

mutanthero seems like me. still likes vintage vsti's :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Since this thread is only 6 years old i will chime in: i really like Tera and Cube. Especially Tera. It is really sad that Virsyn has abandoned them. Tera is fairly amazing to me. Super flexible. The ios version is my favorite ios app (that and most of apesoft apps but i get more mileage from Tera).
It's another topic but at this point all of my favorite stuff is abandoned or just about...
So, count me in on "vintage" vstis.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

All the non IOS stuff has been abandoned long time ago. What is a pity, Tera was (is) a real versatile synth.

What I'm upset with was/is the fact, that from the website it appears it's still alive, according to the shop one can even buy it - though there won't be any bugfix ever.

So, Cube Synth Pro? It was mentioned in the Additive Synths thread but no-one has any opinions?
I'm a little peeved.. I upgraded to the Cube2 license literally two weeks ago and then they release this?

I don't get it. They aren't advertising Cube Synth Pro on the main virsyn.de website, it's M1 only? I thought the AUv3 plugins gave the user both mobile and 'real AU' version for using in Logic (I may have misunderstood the specs).. And of course I can't find any evidence of an upgrade path from previous versions of Cube.

Decisions like this are why virsyn is losing favour with the public; they appear to be doing the bare minimum in order just to stay afloat. And customers can sniff that out. I've nothing against simple websites, but theirs hasn't changed for at least a decade, probably more.

It's the same additive engine regurgitated, with _not that many_ actual enhancements. I thought they would at least have increased the partial count from 512. It's a shame they never explored algorithmic partial generation, selection and adjustment, instead of only being able to either load preset sounds or draw them with inelegant drawing tools.

I just hope they get someone on board in the next few years to do something actually good and original customers can agree is real progress, rather than regurgitations of audio engines they developed almost 20 years ago.

Perhaps they don't have the money to fund more research, or hire a new developer, or get another computer. But they have gone down the micro-purchase route with all these iOS things (people like me can't use because I don't have a pad) because they can trust a higher percentage of people will buy the cheaper product, even if they don't do anything with it. That 'audience' is much more predictable compared to producers/musicians buying a higher priced product. And that approach ends up with an iOS version of a synth they invented almost 20 years ago.

As someone who is fascinated by the audio DSP industry, it is hugely disappointing, and makes me actually sad to think the audio tool which is the engine they created, will basically fade into obscurity, because the company don't know how to research and re-invent their DSP, effectively.

and that's my opinion

Return to “Instruments”