Why no love for Virsyn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cube Poseidon TERA

I had them on the phone some years ago for a installation problem. Support helped to solve it, but they told me as well, that just working on iOS was financially so much more rewarding, that they stopped supporting the desktop platforms. I guess they simply missed, that their prices are related to that fact. You might sell 30 times more copies if you lower the price by a factor of 10... That would push profits by 200% minus additional support costs...
The reason why other companies have little problems to have cross platform support including mobile is called Juce. But if you just use the also very efficient development platform from Apple, you are locked in... Now Apple opens the desktop for iOS programmers by supporting M1 hardware directly. That makes it easy, and Apple has an argument to push customers to the shiny new M1 world...

It's frustrating to see them degenerate this way. I own all their Synths and one effect on Mac/Win but haven't bothered to install any on my new Mac as their reliability is dubious and interfaces outdated. I did also buy the iOS versions but as you say can't see how the Pro Cube is really any advance on the original. Also I just can't make sense of the new iOS Tera, it used to be like the Mac/Win one with different pages covering and combining different synthesis types - FM, additive/spectral, formant, PM, and subtractive but they scrapped this for a new interface that just combines them all in the one scrolling window but it's just so different to how it used to work and I ended up not bothering. Feel like I've wasted a ton of money on them for very little return.

"iOS was financially so much more rewarding".. god, what a depressing statement. I can imagine the meetings..

- "Tera and Cube, the flagship synths, could do with a makeover, and lets chuck in the newer preset management system, new synthesis algos, MPE compliance, all the good stuff our customers expect. a reasonable upgrade cost would be expected.."
- " yes, OR we could use the same code, build a flashy GUI for iOS and sell a dickload more to hundreds of fools who probably won't even use it beyond presets, for €7"
- "i think you might be on to something"

CinningBao wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm "iOS was financially so much more rewarding".. god, what a depressing statement. I can imagine the meetings..

- "Tera and Cube, the flagship synths, could do with a makeover, and lets chuck in the newer preset management system, new synthesis algos, MPE compliance, all the good stuff our customers expect. a reasonable upgrade cost would be expected.."
- " yes, OR we could use the same code, build a flashy GUI for iOS and sell a dickload more to hundreds of fools who probably won't even use it beyond presets, for €7"
- "i think you might be on to something"
That says a lot more about their prices than the platform. Of course cheaper things sell more copies.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It might of course also be, that the support effort on iOS is lower than on desktop versions... Anyway if I where a programmer of such a synth, I would use it myself and certainly I would want it to run on a fully equipped DAW environment...
But maybe they gave up on the fight against pirates and don't have that problem with iOS...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm It might of course also be, that the support effort on iOS is lower than on desktop versions... Anyway if I where a programmer of such a synth, I would use it myself and certainly I would want it to run on a fully equipped DAW environment...
But maybe they gave up on the fight against pirates and don't have that problem with iOS...
On Mac/PC you have 2 separate operating system platforms, multiple plugin formats and dozens of DAWs that do things differently. There is the need to develop payment platforms and copy protection and then support all that range of possibilities.

On iOS, there is one platform, one plugin format, no need to concern oneself with collecting payment, piracy and the same level of support isn't expected... oh, and there are also more than a billion potential customers! :hihi:

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:39 pm
CinningBao wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm ...
That says a lot more about their prices than the platform. Of course cheaper things sell more copies.
And, of course, I'm not saying otherwise. It's just disappointing that artistic tool development and availability comes down bean counting.

I'd love an updated Virsyn Tera but I have no interest in using external devices like ipad which cost price of a real computer first to run them...
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Instruments”