d16 SHIOITOR -- website updated

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=230

is this old news?
ive been looking forward to this for a long time so im excited to see the website updated
it feels like were very close :)

Layers

* 8 independent sound layers
* each layer can be assigned to different key zone, midi channel
* each layer has its own settings and parameters: polyphony, arpeggiator, chorus and sound -parameters
* dynamic signal routing from layers to outputs
* mute for each layer

Oscillators

* ultra high quality band limited oscillators (non-audible aliasing output up to 22khz for base frequency of the note)
* two base oscillators: square with PWM and sawtooth
* suboscillator with 5 different waveforms to choose
* noise oscillator with 3 different colours to choose

Filters

* no aliasing at high resonances and high frequencies
* constant-Q and very warm filters
* three filter modes: LP, HP and BP

Sound control

* two multipurpose synchronizable LFOs with 6 different waveshapes
* two multipurpose envelopes with 4 different trigger modes

Sound effects

* built-in chorus effect
* flexible unisono with tune, panorama and filter spread

Preset management

* two kinds of presets: per layer and full set of layers
* presets organised into groups

Midi management

* advanced midi event assignement system
* midi learn function
* ready at hand simple modulation matrix for modulation and pitch bend wheels

Arpeggiator

* 6 work modes
* full synchronisation
* 21 different time bases
* built-in gater/chorder
* tunable step length
* tunable shuffle
D16 spent many hours analysing analog synthesisers and creating DSP code to replicate the hardware in software. As a result, Shioitor has a very true sounding analog filter with constant Q and a very warm character. Resonance is constant across the whole frequency domain which makes the filter sound totally authentic - especially when controlled using envelopes or an LFO. Turning resonance to maximum and turning off all oscillator volumes will produce a pure analog sine wave as the filter self-resonates. Keyboard tracking can also be applied to the filter to produce different amounts of filtering across the keyboard range. This allows, for example, the creation of expressive Church Organ and brass sounds. However, Shioitor can also easily produce more unconventional sounds such as sirens or robotic sounds.

Innovative oscillator algorithms developed by D16 make Shioitor sound like the hardware synth which inspired it. There is no aliasing in the oscillators - even at 22kHz from the note's base frequency. The level of aliasing around the highest produced frequency is about -70dB. Vibrato and Pitch Bend do not affect spectrum quality - this allows Shioitor to sound authentic under all conditions.
A problem present in many virtual analog synths is that harmonics of generated sound waves start to disappear well below (and up to) the Nyquist frequency. This does not happen with Shioitor. This results in a very rich and clear sound - even for simple waveforms.

The characteristics of both the envelopes and the VCA have also been modelled perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Lvsf_CvBHew
http://www.youtube.com/v/M5xLgexyed0

Shioitor can work in Unison mode when being used either monophonically or polyphonically. However, since a single note will use more than one voice in this mode, polyphony decreases. The adjustment of the parameters within this mode (Tune, Panorama and cutoff) will cause changes within the voice group of a single played unison note. The result will be a really deep and full sound.

The built in chorus unit uses discrete parameter values to change its effect on a sound. This means that simple settings can be selected to change a sound intuitively without having to understand the internal working of a normal chorus unit. For example, if you make Drum and Bass music and want a bass sound which pulsates, set the chorus switch to Fast/Fat mode. If you want to add depth and increase the stereo image of a pad sound, set the chorus switch to Slow/Thin mode.

The chorus effect implemented within Shioitor is based on an analog delaying line with high quality interpolator.

In the past, the limitations of a synthesiser were what gave it its strengths. Many synthesisers became famous because their structure was limited. Shioitor has two envelopes and two LFOs which can be arbitrarily assigned. We believe this is a strength when working with Shioitor.
Shioitor can be used for many different styles of music. If you play fast and funky, do not use the envelope for the VCA - just use the GATE. This will make any riffs played sound energetic. If you play ambient or chill out, use an envelope with a long attack and release. If you want to create some heavy Drum and Bass basslines, use an LFO to control the Pitch and Pulse width of a Square wave.
To give an example of what Shioitor is capable of, we asked some of our friends to create a huge library of ready-to-use presets. However, if you prefer to create your own sounds, you will find Shioitor an intuitive and rewarding synth to work with.

more info at the link i posted at the top :)

I heard they finally have a release date for it.

December 21st, 2012.

I thought the project was renamed Lush a fair while ago.

8 layers ........ :zzz:

bob bobwood wrote:I thought the project was renamed Lush a fair while ago.
That's what I remember as well. Honestly, I think it's official that this is vaporware at this point.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Well, there's a soundcloud page with demos, and they last spoke about it in March, in their own forum. They have a beta team and sound designers working on it, so it doesn't seem like vaporware. If it is, it could be the best marketing scheme ever, it's garnered so much attention over the past, what, two and a half years, is it?

http://soundcloud.com/d16group

They've found an infinitely CPU efficient way to stop the oscillators aliasing. Not releasing it! :hihi:

(I'm just kidding, I love their synths, but seriously... what's going on?!)

Part of me really wants to move on beyond the pulse/saw + subosc + filter + stack voices ad infinitum mode of synthesis, but then if they pull the whole analog thing off well, those features will be just fine :) *goes back to Diva to make a sawtooth + LPF patch*
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

zerocrossing wrote:
bob bobwood wrote:I thought the project was renamed Lush a fair while ago.
That's what I remember as well. Honestly, I think it's official that this is vaporware at this point.
Deja-vu :lol:
Reminds me of the year/years before phoscyon was released.

People thought it was Vaporware or hoax :D

3 years to build a synth that only has saw & pulse?

Congrats...

Let's see how many time pass before someone making a Shioitor vs.Diva (or Saurus)
:lol:
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

I'd never heard of it, but the name sounds a bit like the word "shiter" spoken in a West Country accent.

That "Chariots Of Fire" track seems too use way too much Reverb and/or Delay which in this case seems to destroy the whole song. IMO of course.
I am also a fan of using FXs (mostly Chorus and/or Reverb) in my own sounds (for other synths) but i try to keep it at a "musical" amount.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Kriminal wrote:3 years to build a synth that only has saw & pulse?

Congrats...
Yeah, but the subosc has 5 waveforms! 5!

They are, one octave down saw and square, two octave down saw and square, and two octave down pulse. So there!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:

Congrats...

They are, one octave down saw and square, two octave down saw and square, and two octave down pulse. So there!
wow, thats quite an achievment....cant wait. :lol:

Sendy wrote:

Congrats...

FXpansion Strobe got 4 waveforms for the Sub Osc which could be used all at once (with mixer).
Saurus got 8 waveforms in the Sub Osc and even more with the PW knob.

Almost any synth with more than 1 oscillator (e.g. Diva) could do the same.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”