Breath and wind controller Freeware Pack plus 256 Patches

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
David Carpenter Wind Core
KVRist
223 posts since 17 Dec, 2008 from Boulder CO

Post Sun May 20, 2012 4:28 am

Yes a note filter and a velocity filter in some cases. I wanted to get a breath controller going so I can make breath controller patches . The problem I found is there are none commercially available that are connected by usb directly. With the BC3 discontinued there was little hope. So I opted for a DIY involving the ewi usb.

First I wanted this to be easy to remove and put on the ewi usb with no chance of breaking the thing no tools required. This was accomplished for sure, easy to put on and remove. The harmonica holder applies back pressure and a prefer it over a headset which I tried.

All that is required is about 12$ worth of fittings tubing electrical tape and a couple nipple caps. I already had a harmonica holder but they only cost about 15$ new. The tools required are sharp scissors and sand paper or a file to smooth out the tubing ends. I use a midi plugin note filter to stop notes from the ewi usb being transmitted, all that passes through is breath control and pitch bend. The breath control reacts the same as the ewi usb and works great in tandem with a midi keyboard. Below are some pictures to give an idea.

The cost of the BC3 (if you can find one) a midi solution box and a midi to usb interface it is around $300 before tax. The usb can be picked up for 250 or less and the $27 in DIY parts.

Everything is air tight if you use barbed hose fittings no gluing or taping air of joints is necessary. The tubing slips right over the mouth piece and is held snug doesn't fall off.
So if you own a EWI USB and a midi keyboard for about 30 bucks you can easily DIY a breath controller with holder. I almost forgot how easy it is the change octaves on a keyboard. :lol:

The sleeper must awaken.

paradox148
KVRer
13 posts since 7 May, 2012

Post Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 am

Diggler, This is ingenious! I was expecting a lot of screwing around with the innards of the EWI and was getting rather concerned but this is just so simple.

While it might make me look like I am on a ventilator, it does add to the drama! LOL

Have also just found out how to do MIDI filtering on Logic so I might have a go at it soon. So much to do and try out and so little time... <sigh>.

Thankyou for putting in the effort to show us your setup. I've been having some ideas about making something similar to the iPhone.

KVRist

Post Mon May 21, 2012 10:14 pm

I agree it is a little bulky, but I like the back pressure or resistance of the harmonica holder. Also putting on and removing this to the EWI is pretty fast a couple of seconds and it is non destructive.

The only thing I have changed since I took this picture is I use a smaller gauge tube that is black. I find a smaller gauge tube collects less condensation and is less bouncy.

I tried a head set style mount but I didn't like the mouthpieces I tried. With the nipple style mouth piece it is very easy to play fast tongued notes even rolls. It is like a trumpet mouth piece inverted very comfortable when back pressure is applied.

Cosmetically it is ugly but it functions well even easier to use than the ewi mouth piece, particularly with rolls fast notes.
The sleeper must awaken.

KVRist

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Haven't heard much lately on this thread wondering if anybody has tried out the patches?
The sleeper must awaken.

seamusblake
KVRer
6 posts since 8 May, 2012

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 pm

diggler wrote:Haven't heard much lately on this thread wondering if anybody has tried out the patches?
i have tried them out. I think they are good starting place for folks learning how to program for the ewi.

I have found a few that I like and layering is a good technique to get them fatter and more interesting.

One problem i think that exists with the ewi is controlling the filter.

Kontakt is one of the best softsynths for the ewi because of the ability to draw a curve and introduce a lag on the filter.

I am working with a french software programmer to develop a midi lag that could be applied to the filter of a softsynth.

I use a program called Usine and it is a good way to customize softsynths. i did my own filter curve for Synth1

We are also working on converting a nyle steiner vst. This is something he made in synthedit. The filter has a proper lag feature. It is a very simple synth but has the right feel.

It is difficult to get the same playability with softsynths as you can with the internal synth of the akai 4000. I wish akai would release the akai4000 internal synth in software form.

MarioD
KVRer
4 posts since 10 Sep, 2004

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:20 am

Diggler, thanx for turning me on to these softsynths and for your generosity in sharing the free patches.

I am a guitarist who got tired of the static midi sounds that I got when using a midi guitar controller; mine is an old one that doesn't track all that well. I'm not a keyboardist either however I did play trumpet many years ago. Thus I purchased an EWI-USB. Even though I'm still a rank amateur on it I really like the feel I get with it.

I tried almost all of the patches from the DL. I must say WOW! I never expected anything this good to be free! The brass and woodwinds sound FMish to me but that is not a criticism, just a statement as I still think they are very useful. The big winners for me are the synthy sounds. Big phat monophonic sounds being controlled via a wind controller is fantastic. That was just what I was looking for.

Thanx again - MarioD

KVRist

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Your welcome Mario I like to share freeware presets and I am glad they are working out for you.

I like my patches expressive and the people who know how to use them will benefit from these patches in there own music.

Thank for your feedback about the big mono patches I agree.
The sleeper must awaken.

KVRist

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:23 am

I was thinking of reworking these for the keyboard and breath controller with poly ability. I think this will give keyboard players more options. Also I think I may do a mod wheel control version as well. Let me know if anybody is interested.
The sleeper must awaken.

KVRist

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:41 pm

New development in the diy process. This is a headset and hand free option out of a camel back tube and a 3/8 to 3/4 brass connector small piece 3/4 inch tubing. Flip and cut the mouthpiece at the base as shown Image

This is were to cut on bite piece. Stays secure in your mouth because of the ridge a little thicker than the ewi but similar in width.
The sleeper must awaken.

KVRist

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 am

Started making a vsti for windows from the ground up so far so good keep your eyes peeled will finish it sometime soon.
The sleeper must awaken.

seamusblake
KVRer
6 posts since 8 May, 2012

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am

diggler wrote:Started making a vsti for windows from the ground up so far so good keep your eyes peeled will finish it sometime soon.
Way to go!

I think a great thing for ewi players would be a filter plug in that we can run other synths into.
Lag and the right curve on the filter and everything feels better.

KVRist

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 am

Almost done here is a screen shot. Breath controller wind controller and alternate modwheel plus velocity control mono synth.

The sleeper must awaken.

MarioD
KVRer
4 posts since 10 Sep, 2004

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:52 am

This looks very interesting!

It looks like you can load SF2s into it. Will you be able to import other sound formats also?

KVRist

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:50 pm

MarioD wrote:This looks very interesting!

It looks like you can load SF2s into it. Will you be able to import other sound formats also?
At this time is it sf2 files only. However you can convert wav to sf2 pretty easy and it is possible to use translation software like extreme sample converter that can automate this process.

I used this format because it is open to use like wav files. Also there are a ton of free sf's and sf editors available.

Is there a particular format you are looking to use?
The sleeper must awaken.

JavaJ
KVRian
1138 posts since 25 Jul, 2007 from Calgary

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm

and.....
AU version for us Mac heads??
Jason Schoepfer
Rocky Mountain Sounds
http://www.rockymountainsounds.com

Return to “Instruments”