Wave Sequencing VSTS?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Karmacomposer
KVRAF
4771 posts since 7 Nov, 2005 from Florida

Post Tue May 22, 2012 7:52 am

pdxindy wrote:Wusik has no Mac version...
Nobody's perfect.

Get a PC (lol).

Mike

dexterbella
KVRist
295 posts since 3 Mar, 2011

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:53 am

I've just come up against this roadblock myself looking for an alternative to the Wavestation vsti. Great though it is, it could do with more editing options and I would dearly love to see the ability to import your own waves.
From what I've seen it does look as though Wusikstation is currently the best option in this area - which is a shame for me as I used to own it but just didn't like it at all. There's definitely a gap in the softsynth world here and it's my hope that something like SynthMaster (which is great and already halfway there) might fill it in a future update.

Trakstar
Banned
1076 posts since 15 Jun, 2012

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:55 am

dexterbella
KVRist

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:02 am

What I'm really after is something that can do about as much as the Wavestation but with added options - and importing your own waves is top of the list for me. Augur (and some of the other synths mentioned here) are decent synths in their own right but just don't quite fit the bill. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Trakstar
Banned
1076 posts since 15 Jun, 2012

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:06 am

dexterbella wrote:What I'm really after is something that can do about as much as the Wavestation but with added options - and importing your own waves is top of the list for me. Augur (and some of the other synths mentioned here) are decent synths in their own right but just don't quite fit the bill. Appreciate the suggestion though.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/wavestation-by-korg

why not just buy the software version of the original?EDIT_ because you already said at beginning. Sorry. I think you would be best with wuzikstation, its what Ive been using and it had a few bug fixes for 7.5.

dexterbella
KVRist

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:44 am

Maybe I might give it a demo - I had version 6. I found the GUI ugly, confusing and uninspiring, documentation nonexistent, the included sound library very hit and miss but, most importantly, it crashed on an almost daily basis. Might give it a look and see if things have improved.

WilliamK
KVRAF
4842 posts since 12 Jun, 2001 from Wusik Dot Com

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Sorry to sell my own fish here, but Wusik Station does indeed have some deep wavesequencing options in there. It wasn't based on the Wavestation from Korg, but actually with Hyperwaves from the Ensoniq TS-10/ASR series. :cool:

It doesn't have a MAC version, sorry, but we heard from several users who are running a second PC machine just for this. :hyper:

Check out this video for some wavesequencing action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSPqkMtPfV8&feature=plcp

More at http://youtube.wusik.com/

Let me know if you have any questions.

BTW, we are running a special promo right now:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 53#4980353

Cheers, WilliamK and MoniKe

dexterbella
KVRist

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Got to admit that wavesequencing is just what I'm looking for - I wasn't really into this type of synthesis when I owned V6. I would be prepared to buy it again (especially at the promo price!) but I'm just a bit concerned about stability issues - might have to give the demo a spin.

WilliamK
KVRAF

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Both V6 and V7 latest versions are rock-solid! :cool:

Sendy
KVRAF
5230 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Just a note about Zebra's 16 wave slots... you can crossfade between waveforms, which will give you your 16 distinct waveforms blending into eachother, or you can interpolate the waveform, which means between wave 1 and 2 there are god knows how many unique waveforms each slightly different from the last. That is really good for defining spectral motion and custom waveform modulations - more inspiring to me than having an unlimited list of unrelated waveforms to sequence. Of course, that's just my perspective on the subject.

Still, I'm guessing (hoping!) when Zebra 3 comes out, this limit will be removed :D
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

dexterbella
KVRist

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Don't get me wrong, there are some great options for wavetable synthesis out there (including Zebra) but, for me, wavesequencing is about rhythmic sounds, arpeggios, sound sequences and even synth percusion patterns that just aren't possible with wavetable synths.

Sendy
KVRAF
5230 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 pm

dexterbella wrote:Don't get me wrong, there are some great options for wavetable synthesis out there (including Zebra) but, for me, wavesequencing is about rhythmic sounds, arpeggios, sound sequences and even synth percusion patterns that just aren't possible with wavetable synths.
You can get the instant snapping to each waveform in Zebra by using a steppy MSEG (graphic envelope) to modulate wavetable position. You still have the 16-wave limit, but you can always bring in another oscillator and have one finish the moment the other one starts up.

You also reminded me, ReFX's QuadraSid has that kind of wave sequencer on board, where you can choose the waveform, filters and pitch and the changes are instantaneous. It's good for making videogame effects but can do a lot more besides... Sidizer also has one, but it's a bit stripped down.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Teksonik
KVRAF
12620 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:20 pm

As much as I love Zebra it can't come close to the sounds that Wusikstation can make when it comes to true full on wavesequencing. (and to be fair Wusikstation doesn't have the same character as Zebra when it comes to complex modular synth sounds).

We're talking about gigabytes of samples for Wusikstation compared to simple wavetables in Zebra...apples and oranges.

I own Wavestation too and love it but Wusikstation's open architecture gives it far more possibilities. For the discount price now Wusikstation is an absolute steal. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dexterbella
KVRist

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:33 am

Having spent a little time with Wusik V7, I think I had judged it harshly. I've not had any of the stability problems I had with V6 and when judged as a wavesequencer (rather than the rompler I had previously taken it for) it works brilliantly. Long story short - I've bought it! Thanks everybody for your reccomendations, now I'm off to sequence some waves!

WilliamK
KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 am

:hug: :party: :hyper:

Return to “Instruments”