Wave Sequencing VSTS?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nobody? :(

I picked up Korg's Wavestation VST as it's the only one in their collection I'm missing.

Overall, it feels to me there's nothing else like this in the VST world. A lot of it sounds like wavetable scanning, but what it can do with samples that aren't single cycle loops can be quite breathtaking.

Yes, it's just splicing together waves with volume crossfades, but it can do so on a level that's seemingly beyond comparison.

The internal structure has WAY too many different levels of operation that depend on eachother and quirky limitations, but luckily, by saving snapshots of the machine in my DAW, I can sidestep all of that. Aside from actual patch/file management on a global level, the thing is easy and fun to program.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Bear in mind that WusikStation is an 'as-is' product. Any issue you may have may well be met with an 'oh-well, you should just buy my new product instead'. Wavestation may indeed also be an 'as-is' product, but perhaps because of its long time development, it really is the rock-solid one.
After using both, I find I mostly go back to using WaveStation over WusikStation for being reliably and consistently 'there' - without issue.

Sendy wrote:I picked up Korg's Wavestation VST as it's the only one in their collection I'm missing.

Overall, it feels to me there's nothing else like this in the VST world. A lot of it sounds like wavetable scanning, but what it can do with samples that aren't single cycle loops can be quite breathtaking.

Yes, it's just splicing together waves with volume crossfades, but it can do so on a level that's seemingly beyond comparison.

The internal structure has WAY too many different levels of operation that depend on eachother and quirky limitations, but luckily, by saving snapshots of the machine in my DAW, I can sidestep all of that. Aside from actual patch/file management on a global level, the thing is easy and fun to program.
Yeah, it still has its own uniqueness soundwise... Korg could have done far better on the gui... Maybe they were trying to capture something of the difficulty of the hardware :hihi:

I recently purchased an Elektron Analog Keys... It switches presets instantly, and since you can set a different preset per sequencer step, you can actually do stuff similar to the wave sequences and it is fluid and really fun.

pdxindy wrote:
Sendy wrote:I picked up Korg's Wavestation VST as it's the only one in their collection I'm missing.

Yeah, it still has its own uniqueness soundwise... Korg could have done far better on the gui... Maybe they were trying to capture something of the difficulty of the hardware :hihi:

I recently purchased an Elektron Analog Keys... It switches presets instantly, and since you can set a different preset per sequencer step, you can actually do stuff similar to the wave sequences and it is fluid and really fun.
I agree. The sound quality brings to mind the old digital hardware. It's great fun hearing presets from some of my favourite records and the sound is spot on. The interface is a total anachronism in this day and age! As I said, luckily for us we can sidestep all of that and save snapshots of the entire machine for each sound we make. Thank god for that. Not having to worry if a change I make will affect another sound in another song :hihi:

Also, any synth with more than one layer and flexible volume envelopes (mostly for delaying the onset of each sound) can do wavesequencing type effects. And wavetable synths can be tricked into making very similar sounds. Take Zebra, you can have many waveforms in one oscillator, then have four oscillators to crossfade between. To emulate samples you can simply scan the wavetable rather than jumping to a single cycle and resting there for that step.

Lastly, you can just use your daw to piece together sounds from different synths. Bit of a headache and less fun than the other workarounds, but it's a possibility I've used a few times. Using a tracker also gives you wavesequencing right in the sequencer. Trigger any sample, any time, from any point, at any pitch, all instantly changable, with FX, envelopes, whatever you can build. In that respect, the new Renoise VST looks to be very promising in this regard, especially if you can create sequences in it and trigger them polyphonically from different keys.

We need more crazy sounds in our life. :phones: :hyper:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Also, any synth with more than one layer and flexible volume envelopes (mostly for delaying the onset of each sound) can do wavesequencing type effects. And wavetable synths can be tricked into making very similar sounds. Take Zebra, you can have many waveforms in one oscillator, then have four oscillators to crossfade between. To emulate samples you can simply scan the wavetable rather than jumping to a single cycle and resting there for that step.
I spent quite a few hours creating a "wave sequence" in Zebra... After proving to myself I could do it, never tried again cause it was far too much work!! :hihi:

pdxindy wrote:
Sendy wrote:Also, any synth with more than one layer and flexible volume envelopes (mostly for delaying the onset of each sound) can do wavesequencing type effects. And wavetable synths can be tricked into making very similar sounds. Take Zebra, you can have many waveforms in one oscillator, then have four oscillators to crossfade between. To emulate samples you can simply scan the wavetable rather than jumping to a single cycle and resting there for that step.
I spent quite a few hours creating a "wave sequence" in Zebra... After proving to myself I could do it, never tried again cause it was far too much work!! :hihi:
Yeah, I've never actually got anything like a proper wavesequence in Zebra, I set out to achieve it but end up getting sidetracked and let the workarounds I was using take me in a completely different direction. Still, you can get some very cool moving and evolving multi-stage sounds that way, even if they aren't technically wavesequences.

arkmabat wrote:
highkoo wrote:I noticed that the sample synths in the FL version of SynthMaker include a good number of wavetable/wavesequencing toys. They were mostly made by Angular Momentum I think.
I also noticed that they are not actually included and the massive ~900kb files must be downloaded, through the IL Downloader, and not at my account...:roll:
So, I havent tried them, but Id like to, and they looked interesting. :hihi:
Where can I find these? :hyper:
I believe they were included as 'presets' in the ImageLine "version" of SynthMaker, and installed right with FL Studio. Not sure what version of FL that would have been back then, but now Synthmaker is called "Flowstone" and I dont see those synths anywhere... :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

If you got Kontakt you may want to check out Kosmology Awakenings, especially now that it is on sale: http://hgsounds.com/product/kosmology-awakenings/

Hi Peter,
the most advanced and best wave sequencing Synth was Xphraze, if you get it on ebay - grab it! Unfortunatley nobody ever created a similiar Seq Synth - you just opened it, wav A here wav B here - run and edit....fantastic for Glitch Hop!

The next big thing is WilliamK´s WusikStation, I use it myself and it is just awesome but of course a bit different and from the others that were mentioned it is the best.
Induljon a banzáj!

e-modic wrote:the most advanced and best wave sequencing Synth was Xphraze
Did xPhraze live on as a part of Halion/Halion Sonic 2? Saw a comment that those plugs come with a "FelxPhraser" that looks a lot like xPhraze.

Numanoid wrote:
e-modic wrote:the most advanced and best wave sequencing Synth was Xphraze
Did xPhraze live on as a part of Halion/Halion Sonic 2? Saw a comment that those plugs come with a "FelxPhraser" that looks a lot like xPhraze.
Interesting! I didn´t know that, yeah you are right looks like the idea of it. :)
Induljon a banzáj!

Flex phrase seems more like an arpeggiator - no wave sequencing...

Guys, check this out, some advanced Wave Sequencing on Wusik 8000. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISRyH3PzlMg

So Wave Sequencing is putting different waves? I don't understand how it works exactly... :D like spliced back to back or in the middle?

Return to “Instruments”