how do you save patches in korg legacy m1 vst?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just got this. and it sounds fantastic. yeah well, the whole 'art hobby' failed miserably. so im back with music. would appreciate some help.

Can you not see the file dialogue under where it says Combi mode (or Multi or Program) at the top left?

well, theres all data, 1 combination, 1 multi, 1 program, and controller map. i essentially want to just save a fxp then convert to fxb but wasn't sure if this is the right way i dont own a real m1 so have no need for sysex. im just not sure id hate to save the wrong way and corrupt my patch.

If you're just saving a single programme save that, the others are for combis and multis (ie patches with multiple layers)

You have to be very careful with this. It doesnt work like your typical standard FXP/FXB presets system and it is VERY easy to mess everything up if you dont pay enough attention.

From the top including the basics...i will try my best not to sound too confusing:

+ Presets dont remain saved unless you write them into volatile memory with the 'WRITE' function. In other words, if you make a preset, and dont write it into volatile memory, your preset will be lost as soon as you switch to another preset or shut down the M1.

+ Likewise, presets saved into volatile memory will not survive a shutdown/restart of the M1 unless you save everything via File/Save. In other words, even if you did save your presets into volatile memory, they still wont be actually 'saved' unless you save to disk.

+ You can use the hosts preset manager to save a Program as .fxp, but this .fxp will not only contain the Program. It will also contain the Multi and Combi that was loaded at the time of saving the .fxp. In other words, when you load an .fxp, the currently loaded Multi and Combi will be overwritten with the data contained in the .fxp. An .fxp will NOT contain any of the data in the User slots, nor will it put a preset in any of these slots even if the preset was in one at the time of saving the .fxp.

+ You can use the hosts preset manager to save the M1's entire memory state into a .fxb. Except for possible differences in the file-header, these .fxb's will be identical to the ones that you can save with the M1 itself via File/Save/All Data. Unlike an .fxp, an .fxb WILL contain (and upon loading restore) all User slots that were populated at the time of saving the .fxb.

+ Multis and Combis are made of Programs. (duh.) You can use the M1's own preset manager to save/load those items individually as .m1prog, .m1multi, and .m1combi respectively. An .m1prog can be loaded into the PROG panel or directly into a Combi or Multi slot.

Now comes the complex part.

Beyond whats mentioned above it is also possible to save the M1's memory state into an .fxb, (All Data), and then make this .fxb 'default' via the 'Make Current All Data Default' function located in the File/Save dropdown menu. In that case the user cannot select where to save the .fxb, instead it will be automatically created in AppData\Roaming\KORG\M1. From then on this .fxb will be auto-loaded whenever the M1 is started. (Note: The factory All Data .fxb, which is stored in ProgramData\KORG\M1, will merely be overridden but not overwritten. This means you can always go back to factory default by deleting the .fxb in AppData\Roaming\KORG\M1.) There is, however, a catch. If you do use the 'Make Current All Data Default' option as your main means of managing presets then you have to keep a few things in mind. Otherwise things can get very messy very fast. The same applies to .fxb's in general.

Hypothetical scenario:

You load an instance of the M1 in Project-A. You save the project. The project file of Project-A now contains a copy of the M1's memory state as it was at the time of saving. You load the M1 in Project-B. You tweak a few things and think 'thats a nice preset, i have to keep that'. So you write it into volatile memory and then save the memory state to disk via 'Make Current All Data Default'. Two days later you go back to Project-A. The preset you made in Project-B wont be there because the M1 was being fed a memory state which did not yet contain that preset. If you happened to notice it, lucky. If you didnt notice it, and you now make ANOTHER new preset, and then save the memory state via 'Make Current All Data Default', you will have lost the preset you made in Project-B because except for the preset you just made you overwrote the rest of All Data with the old memory state from Project-A.

You probably get the idea. Since the M1, upon recalling a project, is always being fed whatever state it was in at the time of saving, you have to be very careful with what you are doing or the loss of presets is just a matter of time. The same goes for .fxb's, as they too contain the entire memory state including all User slots.

Well, i guess thats the gist of it. Hope i didnt sound too confusing, damn heat is doing my head in. Any other questions just ask.

PS: If you think the M1 is difficult with regards to presets, check out the WAVESTATION. There you have, and im not kidding you, Presets within Presets within Presets. (Wave Preset->Patch Preset->Performance Preset.) And the same that applies to the M1 additionally applies as well. Good thing the sound makes it all worthwhile...

Post of the year, ENV1. Awesome explanation!

I would also say - use your DAW's preset system as well, if you can. It's awesome to use this in Reaper, for example. It simply writes out the currently selected program/combi/multi as a data chunk and that's it.

EvilDragon wrote:Awesome explanation!
yeah, it is indeed... :tu:

Agrees with both posts above

ENV1 That was a great explanation
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Nice I now know how to save presets in M1. This has been bugging me for a while. Also thanks for the reaper suggestion works well with other VI's to.

I wish there was a live performance version of reaper Like forte. This would make live preset changing a breeze as well as audio midi routing. It is not an easy task to provide a real time universal instant preset system across multiple instruments and effects.

Thanks again.
The sleeper must awaken.

Check Live Configs in SWS extensions :)

whyterabbyt wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Awesome explanation!
yeah, it is indeed... :tu:

Agree with them both.

Both right.

It's not the same as other plugs, but follow the instructions...

Yes. Post of the year!
It's quite easy when you know how.

Thanks for the explanations, ENV1 :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

are all the m1 banks found online free and legal? and does it even matter with most companies gone belly up? how do i know which banks are legal and which arent? because, theres a alot of banks online. i would never intentionally use a stolen bank but its hard to know whats legit.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diggler wrote:Nice I now know how to save presets in M1. This has been bugging me for a while. Also thanks for the reaper suggestion works well with other VI's to.

I wish there was a live performance version of reaper Like forte. This would make live preset changing a breeze as well as audio midi routing. It is not an easy task to provide a real time universal instant preset system across multiple instruments and effects.

Thanks again.
Cantible
The best vsti host I've ever used for live performances
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

[quote="ENV1"][/quote]

thanx for that man.

Return to “Instruments”