Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you. I am messing with reaper. will figure out the routing :)

one bug I have noticed.

when you minimize a vst. when you click "show" it does not bring back the vst into view.

It's been a while since I used Reaper, but I'm sure there must be a way to route the MIDI ports.

For me, "Show" does nothing at all. If I minimize the selected synth, the only way to get the UI back is to reload it.

Correction: I just tried the "Show" Button again with a few different instruments and it worked fine. No idea why it didn't seem to be bring up the instrument interface yesterday. My mistake probably. I have a few different test projects set up, might have been in one that didn't have a synth loaded directly in MIDI Guitar.

Correction #2: I have an .flp where it's setup with just a guitar input channel with MIDI Guitar in an FX slot, an instrument loaded in the MG and the "Show" button does nothing.

I have another .flp with a totally different routing setup and the "show" button works fine, like expected. Why it works in one project and not another is kinda strange.
Musical Style: Psychotic Northwoods Basement Trash

To those of you who are having issues with MIDI Guitar not recognizing your guitar input:

It would be of great help to us if you could send us a 10-30 second recording of your guitar without any effects to tester@jamorigin.com, so we can try to reproduce the problem and fix it. Thanks.
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

I like the mockup so far. The velocity graph is a nice addition. By looking at it I'm guessing it will be user editable via add & remove points. That will come in handy to manage sound volumes without having to edit the preset itself. If that is the case, it may be good to have another edit mode to be able to edit each note/slider individually. This would be easier to dial in velocity ranges if a sound has lots of samples mapped to different keys. Maybe a 'drag' low/high range?

So far I've been able to play & record audio only in both FL Studio 10.0.9 and Reaper x64 demo.
In FL, I can set MIDI Guitar to 'No Instrument" and send the MIDI to any instrument (or multiple) in FL's step sequencer and it responds just as if the instrument/s were chosen from MIDI Guitar's interface. The audio records fine, but as jdt mentioned, the MIDI is not recorded.

Other things i noticed:

Dune works in MIDI Guitar's interface (without crashing FL) as long as "use fixed size buffers" is checked withing the wrapper.
Midi Guitar won't find it in a scan though.

Clicking "Show" doesn't always show the instrument, but when it does not, it is still open and can be chosen from the tray windows. This has been working fine lately. I don't know what changed.

When choosing from the list, the list is sometimes behind the gui, so it's hard to see everything.
This has been working fine lately. I don't know what changed.

For those that can't get audio with Reaper. Insert an new track. Click "FX" on the track you just inserted. Choose "MIDI Guitar" from the list. Arm your track, then choose "Monitor input" (via right-clicking on the arm button). Sorry if you already know this, but thought it may help some.

I have to agree with all points made here by edteneyk.

For the UI Please can it be in a single panel? There are not enough controls to need a paged panel if you increase the width.

Having a great time with what you all ready have, can't wait to see\play what is next? And thank you for the Mono switch, Velocity graph\control (please give different curves), smooth pitch and the sustain\modulation.

Joe

For the sustain please add a switch so you can either build notes or cancel MIDI altogether upon sustain, so I can play pads to some leads from an amp-sim.

what about a way to use this as a standalone plugin? something like midi ox? you open it and your host see's it as a midi input option?

also. maybe some micro tone support? where you could even load scala tun files?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

basically assign each note a 1/4 tone. would be amazing!!

Thank you all for the help to get it working in FL. I finally got to play around with it for a while and I was quite impressed. The polyphony tracking is great when playing slowly and with moderate speed. The latency is impressive.
Obviously it's still an early beta and there is a lot of room for improvement. I didn't get to play with it a lot but these are the negatives I noticed:
• Tracking of fast played notes is not very good. Many notes don't register.
• Slides and bends don't seem to work, especially bending strings gives unexpected results
• Show button doesn't work
That's it so far. Thank you for letting me take part in the development. This could be a great product.

Any new issues, questions, updates?

Last night it froze FL Studio 10.0.9 twice. Both times it was running fine for 10 minutes or so. It seemed to happen when changing presets in the synth, possibly from changing presets quickly. I was using ElextraX for the synth. I'll try to find a way to reproduce it every time.

FL Studio 10.0.9
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core2Duo 2.5Ghz
4Gb ram
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS
M-Audio Mobile Pre USB (1st gen)

Guys, we have made setup guides for some of the most popular DAWs:

http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/vst.html

Any FL-Guru in here who can find out to get MIDI out of the plugin (piano roll) without a software midi loop?

Otherwise we believe most bugs reported have been fixed for next version.

Regarding a stand-alone version: create a virtual MIDI port for using in any DAW seems to require some driver level hackery on Windows (although it is quite trivial on Mac). Would it be useful for you guys if the standalone could only output midi to any midi device on the system - such as a virtual midi port?

FrettedSynth, lots of good ideas! We are working on an intelligent sustain system which will bring infinite sustain and sustain "build up". And the audio-though option is a must of course.

memyselfandus, 1/4 notes is a good idea... I'm curious to see what that will feel like.. do you have any references to anything like that?

edteneyck, we havent really been able to reproduce that crash. Please let us know if you get any more insight on that.

If you experience problems with tracking your guitar, please send us a small audio recording of it (simply record the same lick without midi guitar) - chances are that we can improve it for your particular setup.
JamOrigin.com

JamOrigin wrote:Guys, we have made setup guides for some of the most popular DAWs:

http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/vst.html

Any FL-Guru in here who can find out to get MIDI out of the plugin (piano roll) without a software midi loop?

Otherwise we believe most bugs reported have been fixed for next version.

Regarding a stand-alone version: create a virtual MIDI port for using in any DAW seems to require some driver level hackery on Windows (although it is quite trivial on Mac). Would it be useful for you guys if the standalone could only output midi to any midi device on the system - such as a virtual midi port?

memyselfandus, 1/4 notes is a good idea... I'm curious to see what that will feel like.. do you have any references to anything like that?
a standalone version would be amazing. and I assume it would avoid a lot of possible bugs with vsts? not sure. basically load MIDI Guitar and open daw and set MIDI input to JamOrigin Midi Guitar and go.

it is already possible to do microtonal stuff with something like Scala and a keyboard.. you load a tuning file in scala and it sends live pitch change data to the host along with the midi data.
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

here are some possible ideas on the micro tonal stuff? would just apply to MIDI Guitar in some form.

http://algoart.com/help/artwonk4/MicroT ... rotone.htm

http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/software.html

http://www.justonic.com/

http://robertinventor.com/software/tune ... scales.htm

Any news? :-)

FrettedSynth wrote:Any news? :-)
First of all, thanks to everyone who has been giving us great feedback here on the forum and via email.

We currently working hard on the next beta, it should be ready for release to beta testers within the next few weeks. We are accepting new beta testers, send an email to tester@jamorigin.com if you are interested.
JamOrigin.com

Return to “Instruments”