Jupiter-8 Factory Patches for OP-X PRO-II released! Listen to comparison clips - free download!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter999 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
UPDATE:
Using your Midi file your preset seems to sound in your demo indeed. Your preset seems to rely very much on the playing style indeed. With different playing style it sound like the demo i published here at the page before.

Ingo
Yep, that's true. This btw was one of the patches that gave some headache too to me in the beginning since I simply was not successful to achieve the pongy darkish piano style sound of the synthmania demo, it simply didn't sound right because I tried to play it in normal way as you did in the beginning and the patch was wrong. The first wrong trials (but that sounded nice by themselves) btw can be found in the user patches bank, presets 11 and 12. Then I checked back several times with the patch sheets and listened carefully to the synthmania clip until I noticed that every note has that low octave introductory part before it makes the belly "ping", that's how I found how I have to play so that it sounds like the synthmania clip. The patch of course does not at all behave like a real piano, its name is a bit missleading.

Btw, if we are discussing patches already: One patch really remained a mistery to me. It's patch 13 Juicy Funk, which uses the inverted filter envelope for the "bauaaa" beginning. You can't hear it in the synthmania clip, but when you listen to other sources on youtube you notice that when the note is hold the filter sweeps down again (so "bauaaaaaaaaoooooooouuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm") which in fact is impossible with the inverted filter envelope, it had to had a further segment for this. With a long decay and release it vice-versa should sweep up in fact instead of down because of the inversion. But it weeps down in the sustain phase. This somehow must be a special behaviour of the Jupiter-8 envelope in inversed mode, somehow losing voltage during the sustain phase or something alike. I have no other explanation for it, since this downsweeping should not be there read from the patch sheets.

EDIT:
I was blind. I found out what it is. It's a very slow lfo modulation towards the filter, it has nothing to do with the envelope. This somehow got forgot. Should be still added in patch 13. Somtething I'm however still not sure is if the LFO in the original Jupiter-8 is key triggered or free running. From the audio clips I heard I often would guess key triggered. But this had to be answered by someone who owns the device.
Hi Peter,

many thanks for your explanations. I'll re-check the Echo Pianos preset and already saved the current one as an alternative version.
I'll also have another look at the Juicy Funk preset.

Anyway i guess that it may be a good idea checking all presets with the audio demos first before i compare with your presets. I could still publish a first version then and do further optimizations later. Maybe others could then help with that too.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

You're welcome. The point is one could optimize only one preset for days, but when you have 64 and want to come to an end somewhen one simply has to set time borders.

Btw, I found out that playing while tweaking doesn't work for cloning stuff precisely. The brain somehow can't judge audio stuff precisely when there's physical action involved. The brain only can judge it when it's being compared passively. That's why I ended up rendering the played stuff (or record it as midi) and then compare it side by side just by passively listening to it. I then often was astonished how less precisely one judges stuff by simply playing it. When you just play it you soon feel it's perfectly close. But when you compare it passively then you get aware that it's still far away.

Btw, this one belongs to my favourite sounds in the library:

Listen: OP-X PRO-II - JP8 Sitar

When you play it for a long time you get enlightened and start to hoover...

---

Peter999 wrote:Btw, this one belongs to my favourite sounds in the library:

---
Hi Peter,

yes i like that one too. My opinion is that independent from how far i could really come to the original sounds the work on those was and is really inspiring.
This factory sound bank includes several kinds of sounds that inspired me since i got my first synths, of course especially during the short time that i owned a real Jupiter 8 back in 2004. :)

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Absolutely, the same here too. I've learned a lot again regarding programming by doing these, and even a whole bank of new patches has envolved from working with these.

The bad thing about it is that I really got badly keen on getting the real deal from watching and dealing with the Jupiter-8 controls on a daily base. If this should come true one day I at least already know each and every function by heart. I only played one once many years ago, only one or two notes. And it would have costed 1700 bucks then. Oh my, these times are over...

Ingonator wrote:
fmr wrote:
vurt wrote:not really.
hes doing some work, using his ears and skills to get to the sounds.
whereas you are using other peoples work and copying the settings.
Peter999 wrote: The main reference just were the synthmania clips, and it mainly was a pure listening-tweaking job, not copying settings.
id check with a lawyer if i were you.
Copyright issues? Really? This is becoming a complete paranoia. How could it be that using a bunch of numbers in a sheet for reprogrammming a sound in another instrument (doesn't matter how close it is) fall under the laws of copyright?
Following your (IMO absurd) logic, then anyone who says he copied the sound of a patch into another patch for another synth would fall under copyright issues too (as Peter did, effectively and confessedly). Anytime anyone copies a setting someone else used in a Hammond Organ would fall under copyright too. And so on, and so on. This copyright paranoia has to come to an end, if I may say so.
AND he is doing it for free, so...
I would not call it paranoia but maybe some aversion towards my person based on some earlier discussions. :wink:
Ingo
well, pardon me for trying to help you avoid getting into trouble at any point in the future.
not sure why id have an aversion to you though? unless youre my neighbour who listens to cher all the bloody time :x

True? Ha ha :-)
Please guys, don't use this thread to start another of these aversion-thing fights. I'm sick of this here on KVR. If you want to do this then please do this elsewhere, or go and have a beer together somewhere.

Peter999 wrote:Btw, this one belongs to my favourite sounds in the library:

---
This is one of my favourites too! Ommmmm :-)

Peter999 wrote:True? Ha ha :-)
Please guys, don't use this thread to start another of these aversion-thing fights. I'm sick of this here on KVR. If you want to do this then please do this elsewhere, or go and have a beer together somewhere.
i honestly have no aversion to ingo, the only conversation i remember having with him was in regards to phattys versus voyagerxl, and even though we both made different choices i see no reason for any animosity :)
i was merely concerned that he may get in to trouble.

and yes, my neighbour has listened to the same cher cd (greatest hits) for about 3 bloody weeks now, on repeat from around 12 midday to 4 pm when the kids get in from school
grrr...

vurt wrote:
Peter999 wrote:True? Ha ha :-)
i honestly have no aversion to ingo, the only conversation i remember having with him was in regards to phattys versus voyagerxl, and even though we both made different choices i see no reason for any animosity :)
i was merely concerned that he may get in to trouble.
Hi,

i am sorry if i misunderstood your comments. I guess during the last weeks and months i got a bit sensitive towards such kind of comments as i had some bad experiences. I'll try to edit my former posts here where necessary.

PS:
I am well aware about copyright issues (e.g. i had an official permission for doing samples of my own presets done with Soniccouture Novachord which are included with my PPG Wave 3.V soundset).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

this is great. The ones that didn't sound exactly alike were TOMITA CHIME, and the ECOH PIANO, but they still sound nice. I wish they could make this in NI Maschine format, now that would be my dream come true ;)
If I get straight A's I get Komplete 9 ;)

I you ask me it's the closest and most complete direct A:B hardware to vsti comparison I've heard so far. There are some examples where you simply can't tell the original apart from the vsti, like these:
Peter999 wrote: OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 34 MELLOW STRINGS

OP-X PRO-II Real Jupiter-8 75 HORN FIFTH

carrieres wrote:can they be loaded on the cheaper version like op-x or op-x pro or op-x player ?
Sorry, overlooked that. No, just by OP-X PRO-II.

klagga wrote:Come on and make the plugin for 64 bit already!

Do that and I'll buy it in an instant.

Don't tell me the 32 bit plugin works with a bridge, I've tried it and it's the only thing in my computer that over and over again crashes the system.
This is a two-part problem. 1st, it is developed in SynthEdit (probably the best SynthEdit plugin out there). 2nd, it uses custom programmed components, which would have to be re-written from scratch and may not sound the same. In short, Peter would have to pretty much start over completely, and there would be no guarantee it would even sound the same.

A lot of people use hacks to make classic synths work with MIDI or have extra features or such. I think of this as a classic software synth (I know it sounds strange). In my mind, if a bridge works, then everything should be fine.

One thought though might be for Peter to develop a custom wrapperized version that is designed specifically to work in newer operating systems without using a generic bridge. No one would notice the difference, and everything would work correctly.

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I wonder how long it will be before a 64 bit Synthedit is available. Really I have no issue with it except in jbridge under Studio One it was sometimes unstable. But in Reaper it seems solid.

I still want to see a GUI updated version even ifit is 32 bit.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Return to “Instruments”