Sq8l

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jojoB3 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:24 am Both ESQ1 and SQ80 here, but what's wrong with Arturia's SQ-80V vst to require help of hardware owners?

Teksonik wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:54 pm You have absolutely no idea what won't happen. You're simply speculating just as I am but there is no technical reason why the SQ80V can't import .syx files to exactly the same standards as the SQ8L.

If those users who still own hardware units will work with Arturia and they're willing to work with users there's no practical reason why it can't happen. Sure Arturia sat down with a hardware unit but did they also think to compare with the SQ8L?

Maybe now they will. :wink:

So let's see what the future holds. Don't be a Debbie Downer.
Read @olepro's post for the details
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

jojoB3 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:24 am Both ESQ1 and SQ80 here, but what's wrong with Arturia's SQ-80V vst to require help of hardware owners?
What is wrong with .syx patch import in the SQ80V ? Some patches do not import correctly as reported by other users of the hardware units. I sold my ESQ-1 a few years back so can only go on memory.

You can try the demo of SQ80V and see for yourself. Any feedback you can give as an owner of the hardware units will help resolve any issues.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:06 pm What is wrong with .syx patch import in the SQ80V ? Some patches do not import correctly as reported by other users of the hardware units. I sold my ESQ-1 a few years back so can only go on memory.

You can try the demo of SQ80V and see for yourself. Any feedback you can give as an owner of the hardware units will help resolve any issues.
Checking against my ESQ-1, I found that of the LFO waveforms only TRI was importing correctly. The others (SAW, SIN, NOI, I think) were being mapped to other waveforms. There may be other issues, but that is the only one I found. I've told Arturia about it.

It is a bit irritating, as I have lots of programs I'd like to import, but I feel I ought to wait until Arturia get this sorted out.

Great, thanks for testing and reporting to Arturia. :tu:

Hopefully solid information like that will help Arturia get it sorted..... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Good news. The LFO waveform issue is, I believe, solved in the latest software release. The Ensoniq hardware SAW is a rising waveform, and Arturia map that to 'ramp' which is also rising. The Arturia 'saw' waveform is the opposite, it is falling. Why they switched names, I don't know, especially as SAW can be inverted anyway but, when all said and done, SAW = 'ramp'.

Arturia Software Center doesn't mention anything about the Saw wave in the release notes but "Various Sysex import improvements" is good news. Or are you referring to the import of sysex rather than the direction of SQ80V's LFO wave forms?

New features:
Added a condensed list view to the browser to view the preset list and filters at the same time
Factory library NKS support
Bug fixes:
Fixed UI issues in FL studio
No more issues when opening V Collection stand-alone from 'Macs recent items'
Updated Synclavier and Emulator Timers
All V Collection works on Big Sur
Imported and old playlists loading times have been vastly improved
No More issues when using Luna running Big Sur with V Collection and FX collection instruments/effects
Standalones are now all working with ASIO4ALL & Realtek ASIO
Added "Doctor X" transwave
Mono, Reassign, Unison and Hold controls can now be mapped to a controller
No more duplicate presets
Releasing the sustain pedal no longer cuts held keys
No more audio artefacts when modulating the transwave position
Various Sysex import improvements

Mark Peters wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:45 am Good news. The LFO waveform issue is, I believe, solved in the latest software release. The Ensoniq hardware SAW is a rising waveform, and Arturia map that to 'ramp' which is also rising. The Arturia 'saw' waveform is the opposite, it is falling. Why they switched names, I don't know, especially as SAW can be inverted anyway but, when all said and done, SAW = 'ramp'.
Actually a ramp is usually and most widely considered to be a rising saw, that's why they mapped it like that...

Understood.
Last edited by Mark Peters on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:30 pm Arturia Software Center doesn't mention anything about the Saw wave in the release notes but "Various Sysex import improvements" is good news. Or are you referring to the import of sysex rather than the direction of SQ80V's LFO wave forms? ...
I am talking about import of sysex, which was very messed up in the original release. Arturia did not go into the details in the 1.1.1.1783 release notes, but one of the issues spotted was that on import the LFO waveforms were mapped as follows:

Original - SQ80 V
TRI - triangle
SAW - square
SQR - sine
NOI - saw

In other words, only TRI was mapped properly, and Arturia's ramp never got selected.

There are still differences in how some programs sound when played on the original hardware and the SQ80 V, and this may always be the case. I think I am prepared to accept the SQ80 V 'as is' now. However, others complained that pan and attack sounded wrong on some programs. Whether they will be content too remains to be seen.

Do you own an SQ80 or ESQ-1 ?

The people who own the hardware and are complaining about the import are in a unique position to help Arturia fix any issues. Obviously with this recent update Arturia is willing to work on solving issues.

Anyway these discussions would be better carried on in the SQ80V thread rather than the SQ8L thread.

Here is some noodling with this fine synth. The sound quality from this synth is very good (strings and keys), I'm impressed. Definitely a keeper.

https://youtu.be/Ucaw0_Lpa68

I've continued to expand and improve the collection of ESQ-1 and SQ-80 programs I've been working on. There are 5,762 unique programs now, free to download. There is also now a dedicated thread for this:

viewtopic.php?t=584981

Return to “Instruments”