Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ATN69
KVRAF
2082 posts since 5 Oct, 2015 from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:22 am

You can't expect every developer out there to update their plugins which are over 10 years old just to support the newest tech.
If they plan to keep selling their products in the future they should update their plugins. Already today they are forced to update every time Apple come with a new OS or if there are other major OS updates. 4K is getting more and more common and soon enough you can't buy a new monitor unless it's 4K or more.

Your idea to use a separate monitor just to display plugin GUI's is not a bad idea. I still have my old monitor, but I need to find space for it somehow. I tried before to somehow change settings with this new monitor and change resolution but it became a mess.

I know this because I recently bought my new monitor and very few monitors were not with 4K resolution. Here in Hong Kong we have a place called Golden Computer Arcade which is a huge mall with many small computer shops in it. I been looking around.

Just for the heck of it I added a photo to show Largo and I put Valhalla Vintage verb next to it for size comparison. Valhalla is possible to re-size but I just loaded it up with default size. As you can see the GUI is a bit small but the really difficult part is the text.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Kumi_27
KVRist
379 posts since 26 Aug, 2011 from somewhere under the rainbow

Re: Waldorf Largo

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:26 am

Regarding the size, do you know some screen enlargement applications, besides the built-in Windows Magnifier? Maybe is there something working within active application window?

AfriendofZ
KVRer
10 posts since 11 May, 2020

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:52 am

I use a 32" 2560x1440 monitor and for Largo I find the contrast of the text harder to read than the text size itself lol.

e@rs
KVRAF
4505 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:49 am

@ATN69
There's a newer version of VVV, 2.0.2. :wink:

telecode
KVRAF
1898 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 pm

so happy i am on an old cinema display. :-)

ATN69
KVRAF
2082 posts since 5 Oct, 2015 from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:50 pm

telecode wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 pm
so happy i am on an old cinema display. :-)
Keep it safe! :tu:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

imrae
KVRian
1163 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:10 am

As a long-time Blofeld user I had a play with Largo last night and was able to reproduce some of my favourite Blofeld tricks without much trouble :tu:

abi
KVRian
739 posts since 11 May, 2004 from cologne,germany

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:45 am

Some beautiful Microwave presets for Largo:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... largo.html

KBSoundSmith
KVRian
852 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:00 am

So far, I'm enjoying Largo quite a bit. There are a few little GUI/UX quirks, nothing that rises to the level of concern. But minor issues aside, I think Largo has a rather pleasing sound, and it's easy to program.

Anyway, thought I'd post some audio of a few presets I've made so far. Nothing too adventurous, just trying to find out what Largo "likes" to do:

https://app.box.com/s/6fc6no1q9yax7oil7dxnlmlgpdq7iv5a
https://app.box.com/s/xyj7q26g9e2rw1vmcwn9h7kvotgzywbp
https://app.box.com/s/005od22k7duxhv4auxxy8j2s7xk5i9x3
https://app.box.com/s/aiiij62qr6tn6avawpuy615a7st4d2lh
https://app.box.com/s/763m93vytalrut3mt4kcdfw8dloojoc6
https://app.box.com/s/kqqnxy41tb5i4vqukbtmj9nq7o780hdz
https://app.box.com/s/ik33c5nr936j3vd1czcytqlfjvkao9c9

xenofungus
KVRer
17 posts since 4 May, 2016

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:53 pm

ATN69 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:25 am
I almost regret buying my 32" , 4K computer monitor. Some plugins including Largo is tiny. I been searching for a way to enlarge Largo. Can the GUI be enlarged? Even the old DCAM synth squad have this option.

Largo sounds great though so I don't regret buying it.
I haven't tried with Largo, but I use a 2nd monitor for these tiny GUI problems. You can just connect a monitor to the 2nd port on the video card. Set the resolution of 2nd monitor to your liking. Done.
If your vid card have only one video out, you will need a 2nd computer. Set up a network with remote desktop(google "RDP client"). This is my setup b/c of flexibility, but it introduces additional latencies.

Shiek927
KVRian
564 posts since 14 May, 2014

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:08 pm

abi wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:49 am
@ATN69

absolutely! just wanted to warn people because it seems like it wont happen very soon!

I also hope that this sale gives Waldorf a good financial boost! I only used a microq (which was borrowed back then) for a brief period and I think that Largo represents a certain modern Waldorf character (it has been more than a decade since I had the microq here). The elicenser and maybe the cpu demands (in 2009) kept this from becoming a soft synth favourite.
I'm planning on purchasing a MicroQ later this year. I much prefer the vintage character and the Q/MicroQ is one of my favorite pieces of hardware :D

abi
KVRian

Post Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:29 am

Shiek927 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:08 pm
abi wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:49 am
@ATN69

absolutely! just wanted to warn people because it seems like it wont happen very soon!

I also hope that this sale gives Waldorf a good financial boost! I only used a microq (which was borrowed back then) for a brief period and I think that Largo represents a certain modern Waldorf character (it has been more than a decade since I had the microq here). The elicenser and maybe the cpu demands (in 2009) kept this from becoming a soft synth favourite.
I'm planning on purchasing a MicroQ later this year. I much prefer the vintage character and the Q/MicroQ is one of my favorite pieces of hardware :D
Hm, from my memory there is no such a BIG difference between Largo and MicroQ character wise. What I was trying to say was that Largo reminds me quite a bit of MicroQ. Also the Build quality of the knobs on the MicroQ is said to be mediocre. I personally can’t find reasons to invest in 20 year old digital hardware when there is a virtual equivalent at a ridiculous price tag like 29 dollars. But that´s just me.

If you live in Germany by chance send me a pm, a friend told me he wants to get rid of his MicroQ.

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
9127 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 am

Komplexer has way better stock presets IMO and generally impresses my ears more than Largo and the interface looks unnecessarily cluttered thanks to the fake chrome knobs, plus I hate the red text.

abi
KVRian

Post Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:39 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 am
Komplexer has way better stock presets IMO and generally impresses my ears more than Largo and the interface looks unnecessarily cluttered thanks to the fake chrome knobs, plus I hate the red text.
Maybe but isn’t that what you call abandonware?

chk071
KVRAF
24697 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 am
TBH, I preferred Komplexer as well in terms of sound (it has that HW vintage quality, like the older Waldorf synths... somewhat of a "airy" sound). I got over it though. :) Komplexer is 32-bit only, doesn't even work well with wrappers (GUI issues, and crashes with jBridge), and I always had to reinstall it on everly half yearls big Windows update as well. Not worth it anymore. You can get reasonably close with Largo, even though it sounds a bit different (more top end, filters sound different etc.).
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Return to “Instruments”