Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
kenny saunders
KVRer
28 posts since 16 May, 2019

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:15 am

phreaque wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 pm
kenny saunders wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 am
Hi, do you think you could simply name the plugin as spire.dll, without any version numbers because Cubase (and presumably other DAW's) cannot see any presets created with previous versions.
It makes sense for sure. But for now, just manually rename the plugin, as a workaround.
good idea, thanks.

kenny saunders
KVRer
28 posts since 16 May, 2019

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:30 pm

phreaque wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 pm
kenny saunders wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 am
Hi, do you think you could simply name the plugin as spire.dll, without any version numbers because Cubase (and presumably other DAW's) cannot see any presets created with previous versions.
It makes sense for sure. But for now, just manually rename the plugin, as a workaround.
Actually it doesn't work. when Cubase saves a preset it must contain the plugin name in the xml file. because even changing the dll to spire and copying all of the presets i created in the various version it cant see any of them.

Please dev just name the plug spire.dll.

chk071
KVRAF
22792 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 pm

You'll surely have better luck sending your request to one of these email addresses: https://reveal-sound.com/plug-ins/spire ... e-base/220
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vega555
KVRist
283 posts since 10 May, 2009

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 pm

kenny saunders wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 am
Hi, do you think you could simply name the plugin as spire.dll, without any version numbers because Cubase (and presumably other DAW's) cannot see any presets created with previous versions.
Hi!

Renaming the plugin is definitely not the right solution. The old version runs another engine, which is not compatible with the projects using the version with the new engine(spire-1.1).

Please contact us to support@reveal-sound.com with information about the OS and the required plug-in interface version, and we will provide the download links.

Hope for understanding.

kenny saunders
KVRer
28 posts since 16 May, 2019

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:25 am

vega555 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 pm
kenny saunders wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 am
Hi, do you think you could simply name the plugin as spire.dll, without any version numbers because Cubase (and presumably other DAW's) cannot see any presets created with previous versions.
Hi!

Renaming the plugin is definitely not the right solution. The old version runs another engine, which is not compatible with the projects using the version with the new engine(spire-1.1).

Please contact us to support@reveal-sound.com with information about the OS and the required plug-in interface version, and we will provide the download links.

Hope for understanding.
Hi, I don't need a specific version. I am simply asking that in future releases you just name the plugin spire.dll without the version number like most other vstis. Because when you release it with a different name than the previous plugin, any DAW presets become unusable because it sees it as a new plugin.

chk071
KVRAF
22792 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 am

From which Spire version are you trying to load presets/instances? Every Spire version from version 1.1.0 upwards was named spire-1.1, I think.

User avatar
vega555
KVRist
283 posts since 10 May, 2009

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am

chk071 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 am
From which Spire version are you trying to load presets/instances? Every Spire version from version 1.1.0 upwards was named spire-1.1, I think.
That is correct. The files are named as follows:
Spire.dll ( v0.9.1 - v1.0.21) and Spire-1.1.dll (v1.1.0 - v1.1.16).

kenny saunders
KVRer
28 posts since 16 May, 2019

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 am

vega555 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am
chk071 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 am
From which Spire version are you trying to load presets/instances? Every Spire version from version 1.1.0 upwards was named spire-1.1, I think.
That is correct. The files are named as follows:
Spire.dll ( v0.9.1 - v1.0.21) and Spire-1.1.dll (v1.1.0 - v1.1.16).
Well in my vst preset folder (where cubase saves custom presets) I have the following folders:

Reveal Sound/Spire
Reveal Sound/Spire v1_1
Reveal Sound/Spire v1_1_12
Reveal Sound/Spire-1_1

Which is ridiculous! If they would just not pu version numbers on the actual name of the synth like every oher comany it'd be great.

User avatar
OzoneJunkie
KVRian
1043 posts since 16 Jan, 2004

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 am

I think part of the problem with versioning is that there were changes between v1.0.21 and v1.1.0 that would cause differences in sound, so if you had a project using the older VST, you'd have to use the older version in order to get the exact sound for that project. Pretty sure there were also significant performance fixes between those versions, but not sure how that would impact the file naming.

Plus, in order to maintain backwards compatibility, if there's "contract breaking changes" in the new VST, again we end up with a new version.

Part of the issue is that I believe the version number is hard coded into the VST in parts where it needs to reference the version, so we cannot simply rename the DLL (like most other VSTs) without it breaking things internally.

What would be nice would be to offer a version that at least allows us to rename the DLL/file to whatever we want, and then we could manage that ourselves (renaming the DLL whenever we do an upgrade). I tend to do this with my other VSTs, removing (x64) and the like - because I find it annoying that they're named that way and then propagate through the project itself, when track names are assigned by VST name.

Not sure I'm 100% right on the above info - but it would be nice if Reveal Sound offered us a solution, at the unfortunate cost of them/him having to do that extra work and surrounding info/support maintenance.

kenny saunders
KVRer
28 posts since 16 May, 2019

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 am

OzoneJunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 am
I think part of the problem with versioning is that there were changes between v1.0.21 and v1.1.0 that would cause differences in sound, so if you had a project using the older VST, you'd have to use the older version in order to get the exact sound for that project. Pretty sure there were also significant performance fixes between those versions, but not sure how that would impact the file naming.

Plus, in order to maintain backwards compatibility, if there's "contract breaking changes" in the new VST, again we end up with a new version.

Part of the issue is that I believe the version number is hard coded into the VST in parts where it needs to reference the version, so we cannot simply rename the DLL (like most other VSTs) without it breaking things internally.

What would be nice would be to offer a version that at least allows us to rename the DLL/file to whatever we want, and then we could manage that ourselves (renaming the DLL whenever we do an upgrade). I tend to do this with my other VSTs, removing (x64) and the like - because I find it annoying that they're named that way and then propagate through the project itself, when track names are assigned by VST name.

Not sure I'm 100% right on the above info - but it would be nice if Reveal Sound offered us a solution, at the unfortunate cost of them/him having to do that extra work and surrounding info/support maintenance.
Well I'd happily sacrifice whether presets sounded exactly the same or not rather than have the hours of time spent going through preset packs, picking out which ones I find useable completely wasted, because all presets i had previously saved becoming invisible because they give the plugin a different name everytime they update it.

User avatar
vega555
KVRist
283 posts since 10 May, 2009

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 am

kenny saunders wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 am
Well I'd happily sacrifice whether presets sounded exactly the same or not rather than have the hours of time spent going through preset packs, picking out which ones I find useable completely wasted, because all presets i had previously saved becoming invisible because they give the plugin a different name everytime they update it.
It looks like you are using the preset browser built into the DAW you use. In this case, we cannot guarantee compatibility, as Spire does not support third-party browsers.

We strongly recommend using only the built-in preset browser to avoid such issues.

kenny saunders
KVRer
28 posts since 16 May, 2019

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:00 am

vega555 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 am
kenny saunders wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 am
Well I'd happily sacrifice whether presets sounded exactly the same or not rather than have the hours of time spent going through preset packs, picking out which ones I find useable completely wasted, because all presets i had previously saved becoming invisible because they give the plugin a different name everytime they update it.
It looks like you are using the preset browser built into the DAW you use. In this case, we cannot guarantee compatibility, as Spire does not support third-party browsers.

We strongly recommend using only the built-in preset browser to avoid such issues.
It's nothing to do with supporting 3rd party browsers, its case of you just not naming the plugin differently every time you update it!

Right yeah the amazing built in preset browser where you have to save and load individual presets using windows explorer. So

1. synth menu
2. load sound
3. windows explorer
4. load sound

Repeat everytime, can't even press forward backward arrows.

All because you have the pointless insistence on naming your plugin with the version number, why is it more important to you to put the version number in the actual name of the plugin, than the ease of use by the people who buy it!!??

chk071
KVRAF
22792 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 am

1. I think you should relax. ;)
2. I think Reveal Sound clearly stated why they chose this kind of plugin naming.

And why do you say that the name the plugin differently every time they update it? That's just not true.

kenny saunders
KVRer
28 posts since 16 May, 2019

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:08 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 am
1. I think you should relax. ;)
2. I think Reveal Sound clearly stated why they chose this kind of plugin naming.

And why do you say that the name the plugin differently every time they update it? That's just not true.
1. I am relaxed, I'm sitting on a really comfortable chair, why would you think otherwise?
2. Where did they state this?

chk071
KVRAF
22792 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 am

Here:
vega555 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 pm
Renaming the plugin is definitely not the right solution. The old version runs another engine, which is not compatible with the projects using the version with the new engine(spire-1.1).

Return to “Instruments”