Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:27 pm Version 1 was released in 2013. IIRC, some former versions were already available earlier, for people who pre-ordered it.

But, yeah, I'd agree that it's not really old. But then, if you buy a new synth every year, it could be considered old, I guess. ;)
It has aged well though, it sounds great and more and more modern synths are adopting an efficient/single page style workflow, so it still has competes with newer synths in that regard, imo. Having a well implemented, modern preset browser, scalable GUI and M1 support also contribute towards keeping it feel fresh.
Always Read the Manual!

Totally agree. :tu:

I tried lots of similar synth after, and none really sounded better to me.

I bought Spire at the beginning of the year so it's fairly new to me. :lol: In the short one week demoing it I saw new libraries getting released and realized it is still heavily in use, so its age didn't play a factor to me. Plus, it had the sound/feel/editing I was looking for which is really what mattered most. I have not looked back since purchasing and now use it all the time.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:54 pm Totally agree. :tu:

I cleaned up my VST folder today, deleting all demo versions. And before I deleted Spire, I played around with it some more. I noticed with one preset that the notes seemed to get spread left and right randomly. There was no modulation in the matrix. Not sure where that behavior came from...

RikkShow wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:16 am ALL REs are already High-Res, but it hasn't been enabled in Reason DAW, but it will now starting with v12.

Work-flow is slightly different in the RE: The Step mod and Arp is split between two windows to jump between. A mild annoyance, but MUCH less so now that I can look at in 140% or 200% magnification. The mod matrix shows one mod/slot at the time, and you have to step through to the next slot. So, not as fluent as having them all visible on one page.

CPU wise: It seems the RE takes up a load as if it is set to a fixed buffer of 64. It doesn't change CPU load if you got to a buffer of say 512. A heavy patch is 10-15% on my Ryzen 9.
The VST sucks up the same CPU at a buffer of 64, but uses around half at 512.
It seems ReSpire inside RRP and in Cubase is slightly more than the VST. (no exact science, just looking at my CPU meter)

The RE gives you CV inputs and Combinator modulation. No CV type modulation on the VST obviously.
You obviously know you have to pay more for the VST.

I have not encountered bugs in ReSpire, but I heard there were bugs in the past, so I'm assuming they are fixed, but I may be incorrect here, though I have no issues, not ever...

I believe Reveal could use the newest RE SDK and design panels like on the VST and fix the UI work-flow issues, but I'm assuming it is a lot of re-coding, and perhaps not a good return on investment. But it should be possible.
Thank you, that was very useful. :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I’ve had it for half a year and still reach for it often.
Soundwise compared to my other synths it reminds me of u-he bazille the most - but bazille is not the most forward to patch.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:23 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:54 pm Totally agree. :tu:

I cleaned up my VST folder today, deleting all demo versions. And before I deleted Spire, I played around with it some more. I noticed with one preset that the notes seemed to get spread left and right randomly. There was no modulation in the matrix. Not sure where that behavior came from...
The LFOs have some direct modulation slots that do not show up in the modulation matrix. I guess that's where that came from.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

For me it’s the UI, or more to the point the workflow, that stands out most with Spire.

I know these things are subjective, but yeah, I do find Spire to be super-smooth and -easy in actual use, compared to many other softsynths.

Reminds me of TAL’s gear, somewhat.

I own Spire for many years already. Used it in many releases and still using it often. And that's saying a lot considering the amount of synths i own. Spire is just easy to mix, sounds awesome and is intuitive in use. Love it.
More BPM please

Join our summer sale with up to 90 USD off on Spire and 30% off on all sounds until July 5!
www.reveal-sound.com

dionenoid wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:43 pm I own Spire for many years already. Used it in many releases and still using it often. And that's saying a lot considering the amount of synths i own. Spire is just easy to mix, sounds awesome and is intuitive in use. Love it.
Seems like a nice synth, I looked at the Re but it never seems to be updated- is the VST updated much or is it 'as it is'?

There always seem to be quite a few cheap second hand licenses kicking around, I will pick this up one day as Re or VST!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:58 am Seems like a nice synth, I looked at the Re but it never seems to be updated- is the VST updated much or is it 'as it is'?
One of most stable, versatile & perfectly coded synths, generous mod matrix & modulation sources, very powerful preset browser & the huge amount of soundbanks. I've been using it since v 0.9.x back in 2014, and keeps impresses me honestly.

phreaque wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:11 am very powerful preset browser & the huge amount of soundbanks....
A lot of them seem to be done by you :wink:

There are so many great Synths available and I already have Rapid and Avenger....even in the sale this is still 180 USD with VAT, its not exactly a no brainer, but I may pick up the Re as I have Reason rewards and can get it for £49.

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 am
phreaque wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:11 am very powerful preset browser & the huge amount of soundbanks....
A lot of them seem to be done by you :wink:

There are so many great Synths available and I already have Rapid and Avenger....even in the sale this is still 180 USD with VAT, its not exactly a no brainer, but I may pick up the Re as I have Reason rewards and can get it for £49.
they don't update the RE anymore (seemingly) and it falls further and further behind the VSTi. I wish it weren't so, but ...

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 am A lot of them seem to be done by you :wink:

I'm just one of many other creative designers, never intend to promote myself here though.

The Reason variant is definitely the right deal for you apparently, you won't regret it :)

Return to “Instruments”