New Sonic Arts Granite Wishlist

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Caine123
KVRAF
5452 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 am

1. i couldnt find a preset where everything is on default settings and no sample loaded?

it would be great if you could startup the plugin with gate enabled and no controls and sample loaded cause it's a bit of a pain to start it up and always hear this first sample preset ;), sure you could do it yourself but for reinstallation, new customers etc. would be great!

2. real STEREO output option

3. double click or right click on modulations to reset!

4. time stretch option to sync for example a drumloop to your host tempo, if you play different notes the length of the sample isnt changed (like in iris etc.)

5. rename the Option "Save" in "Save As", "Save" sounds like you are saving without warning at the current preset.

more? reply and add your ideas :)

newsonicarts
KVRist
224 posts since 26 Jun, 2010

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:09 am

Hi Caine

A couple comments from my side...
Caine123 wrote:1. i couldnt find a preset where everything is on default settings and no sample loaded?
Not sure if you realised already, but the "New" function in the menu resets all controls to the default.
Caine123 wrote:it would be great if you could startup the plugin with gate enabled and no controls and sample loaded cause it's a bit of a pain to start it up and always hear this first sample preset ;), sure you could do it yourself but for reinstallation, new customers etc. would be great!
I agree, configuration of the init patch would make sense. Will add that the list...
Caine123 wrote:2. real STEREO output option

That is already the case. You can right or cmd-click on the outer ring modulators, and also the cycle modulator bars.
Caine123 wrote:4. time stretch option to sync for example a drumloop to your host tempo
Sync mode would indeed be cool...
Caine123 wrote: if you play different notes the length of the sample isn't changed (like in iris etc.)
but this is already the case, Granite inherently works like that.
Caine123 wrote: 5. rename the Option "Save" in "Save As", "Save" sounds like you are saving without warning at the current preset.

James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Caine123
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm

newsonicarts wrote:Hi Caine

A couple comments from my side...
Caine123 wrote:1. i couldnt find a preset where everything is on default settings and no sample loaded?
Not sure if you realised already, but the "New" function in the menu resets all controls to the default.
Caine123 wrote:it would be great if you could startup the plugin with gate enabled and no controls and sample loaded cause it's a bit of a pain to start it up and always hear this first sample preset ;), sure you could do it yourself but for reinstallation, new customers etc. would be great!
I agree, configuration of the init patch would make sense. Will add that the list...

That is already the case. You can right or cmd-click on the outer ring modulators, and also the cycle modulator bars.
Caine123 wrote:4. time stretch option to sync for example a drumloop to your host tempo
Sync mode would indeed be cool...
Caine123 wrote: if you play different notes the length of the sample isn't changed (like in iris etc.)
but this is already the case, Granite inherently works like that.
Caine123 wrote: 5. rename the Option "Save" in "Save As", "Save" sounds like you are saving without warning at the current preset.

thanks for your reply James :)!

im really looking forward for syncing!

about the length, hmmm wasnt it playing faster and slower when i didnt hit the root key? just load the plugin up and the first preset already shows it. higher notes = fast playback of the loop and lower notes = slower played loops.

yellukhan
KVRian
1315 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi
First of all thank you so much for the Granite
and of course for the Summer Sale (for both products)

i agree with the host sync suggestion but not only for the sample/loop sync
in my opinion it would be fantastic if we had sync option especially
for the modulations and especially for the time line ( Start ) modulation..
right now i created bunch of midi clips that contains CC automation to control/modulate Start parameter sync with projects ..yes this is easy work around but again native sync with DAW would fantastic just create , save and ready to go when you need.

+ maybe for version 2 or 3 it would more fantastic to get ability to edit Modulations in some kind of internal editors ..

shameless addition :
a few examples created with Granite

https://soundcloud.com/subcase/granite-scores

:)

Best Wishes
Yıldırım

HcDoom
KVRian
887 posts since 18 Feb, 2012

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:25 pm

How do I choose only a fragment of the sample to be played and destroyed further? Whenever I choose the part of sample I want, something weird happens or I cannot snap it precisely and that yellow line always records how I move my mouse, which is good, but like I said, I cannot be precise....Any help is appreciated.

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3019 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:36 pm

HcDoom wrote:How do I choose only a fragment of the sample to be played and destroyed further? Whenever I choose the part of sample I want, something weird happens or I cannot snap it precisely and that yellow line always records how I move my mouse, which is good, but like I said, I cannot be precise....Any help is appreciated.
If you click between the 2 blue markers and then move them, it should normally move the selected portion (or fragment) of the sample you want to work on. Be careful to not click on the arrow of the markers up there, as they're used to record your movements. Note also that it helps alot to zoom-in in the sample display to be more precise.

Krakatau
KVRAF
5456 posts since 25 May, 2002 from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Reset function when browsing through large preset libraries would be helpful, IMO

KVRAF
3112 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 pm

newsonicarts wrote:

That is already the case...
Just tried out the stereo thing and it seems as though Granite alternates grains between speakers rather than preserves the stereo image of the original file. Is true stereo output possible?

I can already do this in Hourglass, but it'd be nice to have it in Granite too. The alternating grain implementation produces a 'fuller' sound it's true, but preserving the stereo image opens up lots of interesting possibilities for granulating the spatial aspects of sound. Almost like granulating the room in which the sound was produced as well as the sound itself.

More possibilities for spatial distribution/preservation would be top of my wishlist. Followed perhaps by a 'scatter' parameter so that grains can be selected from a controllable range around the current read position (e.g., plus/minus around a second). Would make for nice morphs from chaotic to smoother textures.

Having said all this, there's real art in the collection of parameters which Granite currently allows you access to. It seems tailored to produce very lush, evolving sounds that might take longer to accomplish in other granular systems by making the more spiky, disconnected and conventionally 'unmusical' textures a bit more difficult to reach. In a sense its limitations are in fact its strengths.

Anyway, great plug! Would highly recommend this to anybody with even a passing interest in granular synthesis or those looking to make lush soundscapes out of pretty much any material. I've been enjoying loading minor third piano/synth chords into it then pitching them around to create a kind of 'spectral' take on old-school rave sounds. Loads of fun!

highkoo
KVRAF
3774 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 pm

cron wrote:great plug!
+1
It has slowly become one of my favorite plugins.
Most of my projects now have a few instances in em...
Its perfectly simple, which is what I find lacking in many granular tools.

I agree that a nice clean system for syncing some parameters to host timings would take it up a notch though.
Granite is so nice, that I bet some of us are forced to use host automation for timing at times, and that ruins the crispy clean workflow you guys invented. 8)
ImageImage Image

Neon Breath
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:26 am

The lastest update with finally random cycles is :love:

Krakatau
KVRAF
5456 posts since 25 May, 2002 from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:31 am

Neon Breath wrote:The lastest update with finally random cycles is :love:
+1

:love: :love:

Neon Breath
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 am

I hope for the next updates that James will implement cycle modulations for the ''empty'' parameters, like the pitch, density, shape & tone :)

Anyway, I own few granular synths and I always keep coming back to this one. There's something I can't exactly pinpoint but that is special with it.

Caine123
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:50 am

i still hope for time stretch!

Neon Breath
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

Caine123 wrote:i still hope for time stretch!
:?:

Dude granular synthesis is by definition, time stretching... Or maybe you mean something else? Pull all the way down the speed knob and boom you got that time stretching (even to a total freezing) :shrug:

Caine123
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Neon Breath wrote:
Caine123 wrote:i still hope for time stretch!
:?:

Dude granular synthesis is by definition, time stretching... Or maybe you mean something else? Pull all the way down the speed knob and boom you got that time stretching (even to a total freezing) :shrug:
ahh used the wrong word, what was it called again? stretching a selected part to your host tempo!

Return to “Instruments”