Is GForce M-Tron Pro still the best "Tron" vst?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
1097 posts since 2 Feb, 2005

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi, Looking for a very good emulation of "Tron" sound vst. All I know in the market has SampleTron and M-Tron Pro. M-Tron Pro seems to be more tweakable and sounds very good to my ear however SampleTron's price tag is a no brainer.

Did I miss any Tron vst in the market?

KVRAF
2188 posts since 23 May, 2005 from North Cornwall

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:49 pm

M-Tron Pro is a work of love for its developers and (though I don't own the hardware!) as accurate as it gets. The only cloud is the snail's pace development of a 64 bit version. I have VSM and ImpOscar too and am waiting ... waiting ...

TBH, I don't know anything about SampleTron.

KVRAF
1584 posts since 2 Apr, 2006 from Studio City, California

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 pm

cowby wrote:Hi, Looking for a very good emulation of "Tron" sound vst. All I know in the market has SampleTron and M-Tron Pro. M-Tron Pro seems to be more tweakable and sounds very good to my ear however SampleTron's price tag is a no brainer.

Did I miss any Tron vst in the market?
you get what you pay for, in this case

KVRAF
5747 posts since 25 May, 2002 from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

lnikj wrote:M-Tron Pro is a work of love for its developers and (though I don't own the hardware!) as accurate as it gets. The only cloud is the snail's pace development of a 64 bit version. I have VSM and ImpOscar too and am waiting ... waiting ...

TBH, I don't know anything about SampleTron.

:tu:

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

I personally always thought it was the best one and for a while had a 64 bit version (as a reason extension) and i do miss that being back in logic 64.

I don't know why Gforce 64 is coming so slow, it's a shame as i think the m tron is truly the best around, (although some really like sampletron), but furthermore and more importantly to me, i actually think imposcar is one of the best VI ever made in history.. cpu to warmth ratio is unmatched hehe and would just love a 64 of that..please Mr Gforce?

KVRAF
4821 posts since 6 May, 2002

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Frequently Asked Questions - M-Tron-Pro

"New 32/64 bit versions of VSM and M-Tron Pro have been added to user accounts and can be downloaded by registered users via
http://www.gforcesoftware.com/myinstruments "
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Not for mac users they ain't ...

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Oh i got so excited for a second there.

But i bet macs not far away then.

KVRist
61 posts since 20 Nov, 2004

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:12 am

It dates from a few years ago, but you may want to check this ST review from SOS, which highlights some differences between both. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/a ... letron.htm

I don't own M-Tron yet but I grabbed SampleTron last year during a sale and I don't regret it. Even though I was only interested in classic tron sounds at that point (flute, strings, etc), it's the rest of the content that make this plug-in a must-have for me - stuff like the Optigan and the Talentmaker loops and FX.

It's one of the very few 3rd party plugs I can't imagine myself w/o, even if I rarely use it.

KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 am

Theo - Un/fortunately it has been saying that for quite some time now. Maybe that means its EVEN closer but I haven't seen anything change on this for many months.

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 am

KVRian
793 posts since 16 Nov, 2004 from Kangzhou

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:12 am

M-Tron Pro with the Streetly sample set is by far the best commercial Tron VST. Best free VST is Redtron, especially the SE version.

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 am

There is of course a sale for SampleTron now. €32 is a great bargain!

IMO SampleTron is the instrument IK Multimedia managed to do best in their total studio package. They've thrown in a lot of sounds, also from Chamberlin, Optigan and Orchestron.

angelboy
4598 posts since 21 Aug, 2001 from Larnaca, Cyprus

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 am

I love Sampletron which I got (of course) in a sale but I definitely see me going for the M-Tron Pro in the future. One can simply not have enough Tron sounds.

KVRAF
3322 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 pm

I liked the soundset, but not the VST implementation on the original M-Tron. It was too slavish of an emulation, excluding MIDI implementation like pitch bend "because the original Mellotron didn't have that." Dumb.

Plus the fact that G-Force wouldn't answer customer service requests regarding a wonky re-installation about 3 years ago. I am a registered first-party owner with a serial number and the original disks. G-Force just ignored my e-mails.

Therefore, I have placed G-Force on my shit list and will never do business with them again. And I urge you not to do business with them.

Return to “Instruments”