Is GForce M-Tron Pro still the best "Tron" vst?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone who actual has and uses the various Streetly tapes give their views on the pros and cons of the different volumes?

Thanks
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

I'm thinking of getting the M 300 expansion to get something a little different, since those sounds supposedly are a bit cleaner.

Can anyone who has that please give your input about the M300 Expansion vs. any of the Streetly series??

Another question I have,are there any users of the Streetly SFX Console?
Usefulness etc.......
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

Thanks for asking that, I’m wondering that also. I’m thinking of getting it. It seems useful from the description on the webpage about it in terms of how the sounds are laid out. Wondering what people who have it think, thanks.

Yeah I can’t find any kind of walkthrough.
Imo it would be helpful to hear some of the SFX library.

Difficult to answer as all the tapes have useful sounds on there. To be honest I haven't been Progging for a while so I haven't used as much M-Tron as I used to. I bought the packs in order Streetly Vol.1-4, then M300 and finally SFX. I can't really rate Vol. 1 - 4 in any particular order, but I would probably get all those before the M300.

I held off on SFX and waited for a sale on that one. To be honest it's probably the least useful, but sometimes you can add some fun textures to a track, but for me it was about completeness and for the price I bought it at I was happy.

I just checked the prices and yes, I would definitely get them all at those prices (I paid more on intro pricing and am very happy).

dbender wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:04 am ...

Can anyone who has that please give your input about the M300 Expansion vs. any of the Streetly series??
Just to add a little bit of confusion...

I have Streetly 1 & 2, as well as M300, Chamberlin, Orchestron and Optigan. Out of those, the two I'd really miss would be M300 and Orchestron. M300 provides HiFi-ish versions of the famous patches that are (IMO) easier to work with in a more modern sounding context. The Orchestron, again, provides the famous factory patches, but this time they're all super dirty and LoFi-sounding. I think I like these extensions because they provide me with different colors that I don't get from the factory.

Streetly 1 & 2 are great as well, though I feel I could cover a lot of the ground with the factory patches. Would definitely be interested in opinions on Streetly 3 & 4 (they look kinda synth-oriented) and the SFX version as well though!

As you get down the list of Streetlys, they become more like historical documents. Don't get me wrong, they are all quality takes but it becomes a question of "do I really need the precise mix of instruments from Watcher of the Skies?"

Some are interesting as source material in working out how to make samples more Mellotrony in the Arturia, particularly with synth sounds, like an oldskool take on Boards of Canada.

Anyone else have trouble installing the M-Tron Pro and/or expansions? I'm getting a runtime error message at the end of the installer. "Cannot create...Access is denied" fml...lol

zentatonic wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:17 pm Anyone else have trouble installing the M-Tron Pro and/or expansions? I'm getting a runtime error message at the end of the installer. "Cannot create...Access is denied" fml...lol
I JUST spent days going through this with their support! I'm still not entirely clear on what solved it but it finally installed. Based on my experience, here's what I'd recommend:

First off:

1. Uninstall it - do not keep it around and try to install on top of your prior install - this will not work
2. If the ProgramData\GForce\ folder still exists, entirely delete that - you want to start completely fresh
3. Make sure your logged in as the Admin in Windows
4. "Run as Administrator" the 32-bit installer for M-Tron - THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE FIRST EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT OR WILL NEVER USE THE 32-BIT VERSION (sorry about yelling but this is key and can be easily overlooked)
5. If you didn't get the runtime error then, "Run as Adminstrator" the 64-bit installer

Now...if you did get the same error, then try a bunch of stuff to allow write permissions to the ProgramData folder and repeat again starting at step 1. I tried a bunch of different stuff to allow "full access" to the folder, and to "takeover" the folder, and wasn't sure if any of it had any impact. It was only after I deleted the ProgramData\Gforce folder manually and started over that it seemed to work so I'm not sure if any of that Permission-type stuff had any impact at all.

This was a pain to get going but eventually worked.

That did it, Funkybot thanks!!

I've just bought M-Tron Pro for Mac with the 60% discount. I have tested it against the Mellotron V and Logic's stock Mellotron and it definitely has more of the wow factor, a bit more organic and lofi but in a good way. With the choice of remastered loops it has a vast choice of sounds, not forgetting the add-ons.
Nicely laid out GUI and new size options but very laggy when turning pots and sliders - maybe it's a glitch with the latest version that will get sorted in the next update?
On my wish list... I hope they add a separate preset browser page at some point and mono mode for playing those bass sounds.
It's great to have those classic Mellotron sounds on a DAW :)

Hi all! A question:

I have loved M-Tron pro for years, but I am at a point in my personal workflow where I prefer working with "unlocked' samples, wherever I can (in the interest of studio re-design, etc.). To that end I am considering doing a full resampling of my M-Tron Pro (exclusively for personal creative use, mind you! The WAVs will purposely never leave my studio).

My question is this: should I?

The sampling process ought to be easy enough, with a single one-shot per note zone. But before I undertake this monumental task...what sort of quality loss should I be prepared for (if any)? And what's the best way to mitigate it? Can I reasonably expect a 1-to-1 port, provided I know how to use my sampler of choice?

I guess I'm unsure (for obvious reasons) of what sort of "magic" may be going on between the samples under the hood of the M-Tron Pro. But I see no mention of any sort of proprietary sampling technology used in this product. Which leads me to believe that by simply re-recording each note, I ought to be able to recreate the experience impeccably via clever programming of a third-party sampler.

Or prove me wrong? I deeply appreciate your input.

M-Tron Pro crash the Logic 10.5.0 still yet...
Any good news?

PSA...a follow up to my post above.

I can report that a 1-1 port of the M-Tron Pro, via resampling, is INDEED possible. My M-Tron Pro tapes are now freed from their VST interface, and back into WAV form, for maximum creative potential. There is no summing magic happening under the hood of the M-Tron Pro plugin...rather, it would appear that GForce has stitched together their own rudimentary sampler. Patches are easily recreated to perfection, when sampled properly, in Kontakt, Ableton Sampler, or what have you.

M-Tron Pro owners, I HIGHLY recommend taking the time to re-sample your banks. Finally being free of the plug-in is a HUGE breath of fresh air...and WHAT FUN!

Return to “Instruments”