Is GForce M-Tron Pro still the best "Tron" vst?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

evilantal wrote:
taijiguy wrote:M-Tron Pro with the Streetly sample set is by far the best commercial Tron VST. Best free VST is Redtron, especially the SE version.
taijiguy, how would you rate your own set of Mellotron samples in relation to this and the original M-Tron Pro library?
The Mellotrons that were sampled for the original M-Tron weren't in the best of shape, so the samples tend to be muddy and some notes were duplicated and pitch-changed for some reason or another. I personally think my samples are better, but the original M-Tron samples are certainly useable and there are several unique sounds.

My M400 had the headblock azimuth realigned by Streetly Electronics, then the entire machine was stripped down to every individual part, which were then cleaned and polished, cabinet rebuilt and squared, reassembled and new tapes acquired before I began sampling it. All of the samples are from tapes that were no more than a few months old.

Since I sampled my Tron, I've replaced the pinch rollers, which were getting a bit dried out. This really improved the playback. I've also learned to properly adjust the keyboard so it plays like butter. You can do really fast runs on it now with very little effort. If I resampled my M400 now, the samples would be improved, but still wouldn't sound as good as the Streetly Tapes.

The Streetly Tapes for M-Tron Pro were sampled from the output of the Skellotron, which is Streetly's pristinely maintained demo machine. These are the folks who developed the Mellotron and nobody has a better understanding of them.

Even after all these years, most Mellotronists haven't learned how to properly maintain their machines, hence the undeserved rap they get for being unreliable (they really need no more maintenance than a guitar). In fact, I'm still learning about the inner workings of both of my Trons, which are vastly different from each other.

Thanks for that! I'd been using your samples in favor of m-tron pro, but I guess I'll have to get my hands on the street set for it...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

I bought "the other" tron in a bundle deal some time ago. Haven't played it since the day after I bought it. Got totally frustrated after the archaic install. I'd give the whole pile of shit away if it wouldn't cost me. Wish I'd gone with M-tron instead.

Mellotrons (any plugin) emulation question: On the original Mellotron each instrument engages tape playback when pressing a key. Surely this is not a 100% accurate playback, e.g. the noise would be slightly different each time, including pitch variations when the tape engages and pitch variations during playback, tape noise/hiss, tape and tape head wearing out over time etc..

Is this noticeable on the original Mellotron when triggering the same key over and over again? If yes, can noise level/hiss/tape emulation be adjusted on the plugins or are they 'simple' sample playback engines?

evilantal wrote:Thanks for that! I'd been using your samples in favor of m-tron pro, but I guess I'll have to get my hands on the street set for it...
It always makes me happy when people use my samples :) You'll notice a smoothness in the Streetly Tapes that you won't find in other sample sets. There is virtually no wow/flutter.

dalor wrote:Mellotrons (any plugin) emulation question: On the original Mellotron each instrument engages tape playback when pressing a key. Surely this is not a 100% accurate playback, e.g. the noise would be slightly different each time, including pitch variations when the tape engages and pitch variations during playback, tape noise/hiss, tape and tape head wearing out over time etc..

Is this noticeable on the original Mellotron when triggering the same key over and over again? If yes, can noise level/hiss/tape emulation be adjusted on the plugins or are they 'simple' sample playback engines?
If the tapes are EMI, then there's no loss of oxide, so the tapes don't really wear like other brands. The heads also don't wear very much. What changes the most are the pinch rollers and felt pads. When the pinch rollers age, they get dry and hard, causing slippage. Worn pads and poorly adjusted keyboards can cause dropout and wow and flutter. The way you press a key can change the attack, as can the starting point of the tape. Pressing a key for a few seconds, releasing, then quickly pressing the key again will restart the note in a different place on the tape. So yes, there are usually slight differences each time a tape is played. The changes are more drastic with a poorly maintained machine. If the machine is well maintained, the differences won't be as noticeable. I don't know of any plugins that introduce a random factor to the playback.

I really like the free version from Elektrostudio. You can see the tapes moving inside the lid ...
Redtron is a nice freebie too (as well as Tajiguys sample set).

I haven't tried M-Tron yet. I'm still in love with RedTron. I used it on my latest track on SoundCloud (Tom Re-Armed). One of these days I'll get around to using RedTron SE on a track. I want to test those "bad endings" :)

I'd be interested in M-Tron Pro and both Streetly tapes, but $300+ or so for the trio seems like...too much. Does GForce have sales often/ever?

donato wrote:I'd be interested in M-Tron Pro and both Streetly tapes, but $300+ or so for the trio seems like...too much. Does GForce have sales often/ever?
the man hours involved with converting those tapes is ridiculous ... the price is practically stealing to be honest.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

M-Tron Pro Expansion Packs are 50% off till Oct 22nd

chaibuka wrote:M-Tron Pro Expansion Packs are 50% off till Oct 22nd
Thanks for the heads up. If you already own M-Tron Pro it seems to make sense. However, living outside of the EU, for both Streetly expansions and M-Tron Pro itself it still comes to 165 British pounds or about $267 USD. Still too high for me unfortunately. Luckily the free UVI Mello has helped subside some of my mellotron yearnings (although not nearly as thorough as the offerings found here).

taijiguy wrote:
evilantal wrote:Thanks for that! I'd been using your samples in favor of m-tron pro, but I guess I'll have to get my hands on the street set for it...
It always makes me happy when people use my samples :) You'll notice a smoothness in the Streetly Tapes that you won't find in other sample sets. There is virtually no wow/flutter.
What are your samples and where might they be available?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
taijiguy wrote:
What are your samples and where might they be available?
http://leisureland.us/audio/MellotronSa ... amples.htm

Very cool.

Return to “Instruments”