Jean michel Jarre VST

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
pmczar
KVRist
92 posts since 31 Jan, 2006 from Boston, MA

Post Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:53 pm

You can program any soft synth to make these sounds, as long as you open the windows in your studio to let in some oxygen.... :hihi:
I witnessed the Nice, France terrorist attack, told the story with a music video: https://youtu.be/eHhw4Bl9HOs

User avatar
BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:10 am

Well, honestly, I'm not convinced by this third opus. I find it too much tangled, too much messy... and too much robotic. In this third opus, the organic life seems to have disappeared from this Earth. The Oxygene/Equinoxe/Rendez-vous sounds are here, obviously... but the "Oxygene atmosphere" which was so airy is lost, agitated in too many storms of different gases. The organic life which was so beautiful in the first album seems to be threatened in this last one.

Two or three of the tracks (the last one for example) are quite cool (even very 70's) and very nice, as moments of plenitude between two gales, small moments actually recalling the first "Oxygene", but the global sentiment of a wonderful journey, of variations by splendid transitions in the continuity of life (like the Stephen Jay Gould's "punctuated equilibria") from the beginning to the end of the album, sentiment which was so present and so wonderful in that first album... is totally lost, as an Earth where the wonderful life is from now on simply a reminiscence of the past.

Much as I can tell that the initial "Oxygene" made in 1975 was a "concept album"... I can tell that this third album is simply a kind of experiments starting from "recalls" of the sounds with sometimes distant reminiscences of an atmosphere which is now disappearing in the past, but by far my main impression after having listened to all this album is an impression of the definitive loss of the soul of the so beautiful first album produced about 40 years ago. When the first album gave me a sentiment of organic life on an Earth with abundance of Oxygene, from now on this third album gives me a sentiment of robotic life on an Earth henceforth covered by gales of strange gases where the organic life is vanishing.

Curiously it is on this third opus that the cover of the album, a human skull in the center of a peeling Earth, takes all its sense. As a world where the true Life has vanished in the past and is now discovered under the feet of synthetic android archeologists "living" in an very windy atmosphere containing very few oxygen.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

egbert101
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:24 am

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the wicked.

User avatar
BasariStudios
KVRian
1278 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from New York

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:08 am

BlackWinny wrote:but by far my main impression after having listened to all this album is an impression of the definitive loss of the soul of the so beautiful first album produced about 40 years ago. When the first album gave me a sentiment of organic life on an Earth with abundance of Oxygene, from now on this third album gives me a sentiment of robotic life on an Earth henceforth covered by gales of strange gases where the organic life is vanishing.
Isn't this actually the reality of Planet Earth and what if he was actually following that?
http://www.basaristudios.com
Cubase 8.5 Pro. Windows 7 X64. ASUS SaberTooth X99. Intel I7 5820K. ASUS GTX 960 Strix OC 2GB. 4x8 GB G.SKILL. 2 850 PRO 256GB.
Prime Total. Acustica: Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 2, Amethyst, Murano, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy.

User avatar
BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:01 am

BasariStudios wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:but by far my main impression after having listened to all this album is an impression of the definitive loss of the soul of the so beautiful first album produced about 40 years ago. When the first album gave me a sentiment of organic life on an Earth with abundance of Oxygene, from now on this third album gives me a sentiment of robotic life on an Earth henceforth covered by gales of strange gases where the organic life is vanishing.
Isn't this actually the reality of Planet Earth and what if he was actually following that?
Unfortunately it seems that the answer to your question is yes.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

User avatar
BasariStudios
KVRian
1278 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from New York

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 am

BlackWinny wrote:Unfortunately it seems that the answer to your question is yes.
It is a sad reality. Cold, frozen, no movement, no life...
http://www.basaristudios.com
Cubase 8.5 Pro. Windows 7 X64. ASUS SaberTooth X99. Intel I7 5820K. ASUS GTX 960 Strix OC 2GB. 4x8 GB G.SKILL. 2 850 PRO 256GB.
Prime Total. Acustica: Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 2, Amethyst, Murano, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy.

egbert101
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:46 pm

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the wicked.

User avatar
sfd
KVRian
1112 posts since 14 Jul, 2013

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:38 am

From Wikipedia. Pay attention to the plug.-ins he used.
Also - There's neither an ELKA Synthix nor a Synthix emulation listed. So the questions is: what did he use for the "laser harp" sounding sound on this album? :-)

"Instruments played by Jean-Michel Jarre [on Oxygene 3]: Eminent 310, AKS, VCS 3, Small Stone, Electric Mistress, ARP 2600, ARP 2500, Moog Sub 37, OB6, Mellotron D4000, Korg Polyphonic Ensemble, Mini Pops, Metasonic, Digisequencer, TR8, Animoog, OP1, OP12, OP 24, Ochord, Analog Keys, Virus, Dune, Nordlead 1, Monark, RBlocks, Spire, Serum, Cognosphere, Taurus1, Micro Monsta, Philicorda. Recorded and mixed on Ableton Live and Macbook Pro."
You can listen to my music HERE and here on YouTube and on Spotify

Mutant
KVRAF
3341 posts since 9 Oct, 2004 from Poland

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:46 am

sfd wrote:From Wikipedia. Pay attention to the plug.-ins he used.
Also - There's neither an ELKA Synthix nor a Synthix emulation listed. So the questions is: what did he use for the "laser harp" sounding sound on this album? :-)

"Instruments played by Jean-Michel Jarre [on Oxygene 3]: Eminent 310, AKS, VCS 3, Small Stone, Electric Mistress, ARP 2600, ARP 2500, Moog Sub 37, OB6, Mellotron D4000, Korg Polyphonic Ensemble, Mini Pops, Metasonic, Digisequencer, TR8, Animoog, OP1, OP12, OP 24, Ochord, Analog Keys, Virus, Dune, Nordlead 1, Monark, RBlocks, Spire, Serum, Cognosphere, Taurus1, Micro Monsta, Philicorda. Recorded and mixed on Ableton Live and Macbook Pro."
Many different synths can do that sound, from that list at least few.
Here is my old attempt with Xhip on the left channel:
https://app.box.com/s/kvbk8aaout7qngqo1u134q3b6zah6opj
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

AnX
KVRAF
3019 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:31 am

sfd wrote:From Wikipedia. Pay attention to the plug.-ins he used.
Also - There's neither an ELKA Synthix nor a Synthix emulation listed.
Germany 1 France 0

:hihi:

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
7605 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:57 am

Mutant wrote:
sfd wrote:From Wikipedia. Pay attention to the plug.-ins he used.
Also - There's neither an ELKA Synthix nor a Synthix emulation listed. So the questions is: what did he use for the "laser harp" sounding sound on this album? :-)

"Instruments played by Jean-Michel Jarre [on Oxygene 3]: Eminent 310, AKS, VCS 3, Small Stone, Electric Mistress, ARP 2600, ARP 2500, Moog Sub 37, OB6, Mellotron D4000, Korg Polyphonic Ensemble, Mini Pops, Metasonic, Digisequencer, TR8, Animoog, OP1, OP12, OP 24, Ochord, Analog Keys, Virus, Dune, Nordlead 1, Monark, RBlocks, Spire, Serum, Cognosphere, Taurus1, Micro Monsta, Philicorda. Recorded and mixed on Ableton Live and Macbook Pro."
Many different synths can do that sound, from that list at least few.
Here is my old attempt with Xhip on the left channel:
https://app.box.com/s/kvbk8aaout7qngqo1u134q3b6zah6opj
Really convincing... Congrats :tu:

Would you mind to share that patch?
Fernando (FMR)

egbert101
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:07 am

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the wicked.

Mutant
KVRAF
3341 posts since 9 Oct, 2004 from Poland

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:09 am

fmr wrote:
Mutant wrote:Many different synths can do that sound, from that list at least few.
Here is my old attempt with Xhip on the left channel:
https://app.box.com/s/kvbk8aaout7qngqo1u134q3b6zah6opj
Really convincing... Congrats :tu:

Would you mind to share that patch?
Sure.
While i am looking through my projects to find the exact patch i used to make the clip above, here is a patch i posted 5 days earlier:
https://app.box.com/s/ir21m3xvm41i97ug4aofu2vzhgmuab4r
You will have to set unison to 8 and detune the unison a bit.

[edit]
Found the project.
The patch also needs some heavy boost on low frequencies and a low cut at about 15Khz.
Plus TAL Chorus LX and VOS epicVerb and Nick Crow Tube Driver.
https://app.box.com/s/k6bfkqs7sfxa93lfprocsjdwtlqwxbyf

[edit2]
Hmm looks like it doesnt really need the chorus (the unison does the job instead), it was there just for experimentation i think.
Last edited by Mutant on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9697 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:27 am

Xils-Lab MiniSyn'X /Real Synthex A/B Comparison for the JMJ Laser Harp sound (you dont even need the Syn'X to make it, the super affordable MiniSyn'X is enough)

Example 1

Exemple 2

There are several Laser Harp presets in the MiniSyn'X btw, hence the two examples

And finally another example of Synthex Preset 1-3 setup comparison : The preset 1-3 has been decomposed and recreated from scratch : First the oscillator 2, then oscillator 1 with PWM, then oscillator 2 with Hard synchronization, then oscillator 1 with the PWM + hard synchronization, finally adding the glide and chorus

Synthex preset 1-3 comparison

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Mutant
KVRAF
3341 posts since 9 Oct, 2004 from Poland

Re: Jean michel Jarre VST

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 am

Since i don't have a real Synthex on hand, i couldn't match the raw sound, so i decided to match the fully produced sound from JMJ Third Rendez Vous.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Return to “Instruments”