TAL BassLine-101

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Essence for TAL Bassline 101 TAL-BassLine-101

A stock SH-101 lacks velocity, including external control over it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mod to make it possible or if the SH-01a can do it. The Behringer MS-1 has velocity output, I assume that means it can do it.

serenitynow13 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 pm Hi, So I have a patch that I really like on the TAL BassLine-101 that uses the velocity envelope, Is it possible to recreate this patch on a real sh-101? or is this not possible because the real sh-101 doesn't have the velocity section?
no velocity on the hardware

I think SH01A has velocity
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

acid alex wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:25 pm I think SH01A has velocity
even more like AJ1 then.

I'm actually sampling Alpha Juno 1 right now. :)

It lacks velocity. AJ2 has it but some people say it doesn't sound as good.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:36 pm It lacks velocity.
has velocity if you play it from another keyboard with 'dyn' for VCA or VCF :clown:

it reminded me of a 101 with presets, at times.
so when people clamour for a boutique alpha juno, and the sh01a does poly ...

yeah i think i prefer the AJ velocity-less. it's nice on the AJ2 but i think it can also detract
from the 'original' juno nature of it - plus it's there if you want it on the AJ1 (also being smaller).

in fact i like the AJ1 model, i'm even considering selling MKS50 to get one again :ud: :clown:
(seeing prices of MKS50... :o )

Somewhere in this forum I claimed that the Roland 101 was closer to the real thing and had better bass. Well I've been playing with this again and have realized that actually I was able to get the same sounds that I had trouble matching before with the TAL. And with the extra features like filter fm and volume compensation of the filter, the TAL is more appealing to me now again. I do wish that it had the second envelope. Same goes for the TAL Uno. In fact I think I'll go make that request.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm Somewhere in this forum I claimed that the Roland 101 was closer to the real thing and had better bass. Well I've been playing with this again and have realized that actually I was able to get the same sounds that I had trouble matching before with the TAL. And with the extra features like filter fm and volume compensation of the filter, the TAL is more appealing to me now again. I do wish that it had the second envelope. Same goes for the TAL Uno. In fact I think I'll go make that request.
TAL-Mod, from the same developer, will make it fine.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm Somewhere in this forum I claimed that the Roland 101 was closer to the real thing and had better bass. Well I've been playing with this again and have realized that actually I was able to get the same sounds that I had trouble matching before with the TAL. And with the extra features like filter fm and volume compensation of the filter, the TAL is more appealing to me now again. I do wish that it had the second envelope. Same goes for the TAL Uno. In fact I think I'll go make that request.
Yeah but there is a reason the other exist. They have their own distinct sonic qualities, which is why I like them.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 pm
Yeah but there is a reason the other exist. They have their own distinct sonic qualities, which is why I like them.
I totally agree. Like many TAL fans I have all his synths. I just wrote about TAL-Mod because "in the meanwhile..."

In fact if there was something to create quite close to the SH-101 today but with two envelopes and some other extended features and at the same time capable to replace a bit a Juno for polyphonic parts, I think it would be a kind of emulation of the quite recent GAIA SH-01 or of the (quite recent too) SH-201.

But I'm not sure that Roland would agree...
:lol:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I've been looking in to 101 emulations recently after buying my Behringer MS-101 (still not opened the box).

I almost bought a second-hand Lush-101 in the market place, but thankfully I got pipped at the post by someone else. After looking in to it and doing some demoing, I think I prefer the TAL, anyway.

As alternatives I have the free version of TAL bassline which is very good, just a bit small to read. I have the Bass Station as well which I know is not that popular in plugin form (correct me if I'm wrong) compared to the hardware. I like it though. Then I have FXpansion Strobe and a load of presets I made up for it (and threatened to release but never did, but may still...) and that for me works best of all.

See this thread - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ost8850996

I don't really need the D16 or TAL offerings. But the TAL seems to be the best bet and I'll pick one up if I see it in the marketplace.

I never owned a real 101 but I used quite a few. I think I know what they sound like. The Behringer seems pretty close to me and even if it's not, I don't care. By all accounts the TAL is a very close emulation.

I like the way the 101 is structured interface wise and this is what drew me to the original FXpansion Strobe and how I got drawn in to even making drum sounds on it (for that free Geist Expander if you remember). It always reminded me of a real 101 both in interface and sound, so it didn't surprise me when FXpansion said it was based on that (among many others).

At this point, I'm not looking for authenticity, I'm not looking for complexity. 'Close enough' is 'good enough'. That goes for both hardware unt software.

I bought Repro by u-he a while back and that is certainly more than 'close enough' or 'good enough'. I used a Pro-1 for quite a while back in the day as well, and if anything this just improves on it. By another factor again. Now conversely, I'm going to buy the hardware Pro-1 (Behringer) after being so inspired by the software Pro-1 (u-he). I like the idea of having the same synths in hardware unt software.

If for no other reason than idle speculative comparisons... it's why I bought 2 or 3 copies of the same guitar by the same manufacturer, but just in different colours (suprise surprise, they ended up differing in more than just colour when I 'tested' them).

All of this stuff, the 101's the Pro-1's - it all just a bonus to me. Because even though I like to noodle and nerd out, first and foremost I'm a songwriter, so all of this is academic. And I'm probably not alone in that. At KVR we are a vocal minority of noodlers and nerds, and that's ok, but there's a big world outside that window.

Whatever. I'm looking forward to sticking my hardware unt software through some of my new hardware unt software Reverb units. The 101 is a great sounding synth, but it doesn't take much to really make it come alive, FX wise...

I played with TAL Bassline-101 last night and chucked it through D16 Tekturon and a reverb I forget right now. Instant, magical...

Looking forward to comparing that to my 'real' 101, when I get around to unboxing it.

mztk wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:25 pm has velocity if you play it from another keyboard with 'dyn' for VCA or VCF :clown:
Thanks! I never realized that's what DEnv stands for. Switching to the regular Env does make it sound tougher and more saturated.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm Somewhere in this forum I claimed that the Roland 101 was closer to the real thing and had better bass. Well I've been playing with this again and have realized that actually I was able to get the same sounds that I had trouble matching before with the TAL. ...
ha... "told ya so". :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=494270&start=75

jbuonacc wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:55 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm Somewhere in this forum I claimed that the Roland 101 was closer to the real thing and had better bass. Well I've been playing with this again and have realized that actually I was able to get the same sounds that I had trouble matching before with the TAL. ...
ha... "told ya so". :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=494270&start=75
Ha, I knew someone would find it! ;)
Yeah the Tone control had something to do with it and there must have been some other setting that was slightly different. The settings weren't an exact match but I was able to get close enough this time around.

Return to “Instruments”